Pivotal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pivotal (Cambridge, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

Recruiter changed my outlook from passive to actively interested by being honest, engaging, and enthusiastic, a true champion of Pivotal. The interview team was professional in the zoom meetings and accomodated to my hectic work/personal life schedule. The culture that I witnessed on the day of my on-site Stand and Present on my target company was the tipping factor in accepting the job offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you tailor your previous work experience and personality into our value proposition, and what are the steps that you would take to ensure a positive, lasting relationship with prospects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

It was a highly scripted, one hour TDD pair programming exercise. The exercise itself was straightforward, but the process and attitude of the interviewer was very weird. During the course of the exercise, where I answered the interviewer's questions to explain the next step as he built up a utility class, he became annoyed if I ever deviated from the script (which I could not see), spoke "out of turn" (i.e. not in response to a direct question), or differed with him on things as small as what to name a variable, even when asked. It felt like an exercise in trying to guess what the interviewers opinion was and then agreeing with him rather than an exercise in problem solving. He was even annoyed by the fact that I was taking notes as he read off the goals of the exercise.

The interviewer was insistent that I not "skip ahead", which meant considering any concerns or responsibilities of the utility he was writing beyond the single current test we were writing against. To use an analogy, if the question were "How do we execute the first step of driving from Point A to Point B and then back again?" and you were to answer "well, we could drive straight to Point B but we wouldn't have enough gas for the return trip, so I'd" he'd cut you off and say "let's just worry about the first step. What's the simplest way to execute the first step?" I answer: "OK... just drive to Point B?" Him: "Very good. Now it seems we have a problem: we don't have enough gas to return to point A" and you're sitting here like "??? I brought this up just a minute ago." Considering the broader impacts of code changes is a big part of what makes a good programmer, in my experience, so it felt very unnatural to be asked to intentionally write code you know will not work, in order to pass the current test.

Overall my advice for interviewing for this role at this company would be to do your best to flatter the interviewer (i.e. make sure to praise their opinion and do NOT offer a different view, even if asked), do not speak unless a direct question is asked of you, and to put your SWE problem solving skills on the shelf and just answer questions as narrowly as possible.

Interview Questions

• The whole interview was about writing a data structure implementation in Java. Interviewer does the writing, you answer questions from time to time.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pivotal (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. HR mailed me to ask for the date and time I will be free for pair programming coding round. The question was easy. They sent a rejection mail after 4 days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

On site was a full day working with the team. Above average experience with the interview process as a whole, however they will lie to you and say lunch is not part of the interview. The reality is it is the personality test. I can completely understand lunch being part of the interview, but lying about it was rather off putting when everything else seemed rather up front and positive.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

TDD interview, was too fast to catch up. The interviewer was aware that I was new to TDD as well as the programming language and IDE being used. He kept up his own pace and I could barely catch up. No hints given when I was stuck. Was rejected as expected.

Interview Questions

• A design question emphasizing on TDD   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal (Denver, CO) in September 2017.

Interview

My interview was the same pair programming exercise developing a Java set with TDD that every other review on here lists. I was wary of this since I did not have experience with Java or TDD, but overall the interviewer seemed to do a good job of walking through it while giving me some opportunities to write some of the code myself and apply my general programming knowledge.

The scheduling process for this struck me as a bit odd, as there were no phone interviews. I went on-site for the pair programming exercise and would have needed to go on-site again for the final round interview. Every other technical job I’ve interviewed for does not require you to come onsite until the final round interview.

Despite that I felt I did well on the interview, it took them less than a full business day to decide they were moving on. This is where I feel like maybe some sort of phone interview would have been helpful and could have prevented me from wasting my time going on-site. The process felt pretty impersonal on the HR side of things, as I did all my scheduling and received the (very canned) rejection email through them, but did not have an opportunity to actually have a conversation with them. I get the sense from reading other reviews on here and from how the potential next round was described to me at my interview that the final round would not have had much of an HR portion either. I was left with a bad taste in my mouth from the uncertainty whether an HR team I had little chance to interact with was a large part of the decision, or they were just merely the messenger.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal (Dallas, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied in May 2017 online. Got a call from HR within 3 days and after screening, a telephonic interview was scheduled. The interview is a pair programming exercise using TDD concepts. The interviewer was very friendly and made my tasks easy.

Interview Questions

• Implement Set in Java using TDD.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Pair Programming. Candidate acted as a navigator. Some questions about development principles. Need to concern about how to do refactory. Need to learn about how to code in TDD way. I spent about 40 mins to complete this work. Interviewer may talk about their work in Pivotal.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1. Met recruiter at university career fair, gave resume.
    2. Was reached out to later. Scheduled a video conference call.
    Friendly process throughout. Thought it went very well but rejected by e-mail a few days later.

Interview Questions

• As others have mentioned, I did a pair programming exercise of implementing a set.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pivotal (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Recruiter was bad at scheduling the first round interview. Time and interviewer kept changing and every time it did, I got a new email. Then I was dropped and recruiter forgot to reschedule me. I followed up and finally did the first round: test-driven development with an engineer to build a stack in Java. No worries if you don't know Java because the engineer writes the code, you just tell him the logic very slowly. You build one function at a time.

I was brought on site for an entire work day, came in for breakfast and they bought me lunch. The rest of the time was pair-programming with an engineer on one of their issues (open source projects anyway). Everything was in Go, which I didn't really know. I worked with one engineer in the morning and another one after lunch.

Interview Questions

Pivotal Response

Dec 11, 2017 – Associate People Solutions Specialist

Thank you for sharing about your interviewing experience with us here at Pivotal Software. We strive very hard to make the interview experience a good one and feedback like this tells us we need to... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone screen at the first then on site. They basically in deludes General leetcode questions none of them are really hard. And basically that's what all I want to say.