Pivotal Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pivotal Labs Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1-hour tech interview, one day on-site.

Because I applied a few years ago and had already completed the first 1-hour tech screen, I was sent straight to the on-site portion. On-site consists of breakfast with a pivot, pairing with another pivot on one of the teams, lunch with 3 pivots, and another pairing session with a person on a different team.

Overall a great process. Constant and quick communication. Also very fair in terms of salary negotiation in comparison to others on the team at your level on. Albeit it's on the more modest side of bay area tech industry standards.

Interview Questions

• TDD a set. TDD production code in a Go app and then a Rails app.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Brief phone screening, followed by an hour long paired programming session (either in person or via screensharing), followed by an all day on site. All day on site may not be in languages you already know, roll with it.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview

Friendly process, they were always quick to respond and were very honest the entire way through. The technical interview was done with only one other engineer who was very friendly and attentive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (Cambridge, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Most of the process was centered on evaluating a person's ability to pair program and code using Test Driven Development. However, the recruiter that I interacted with was truly, astonishingly, unprofessional. Not the person that initially emailed me, but the person they had me call. They had not read my resume, they spent the first 10 minutes talking about the weather while they found my resume, they mumbled into the phone, and they did not even know the area around the Cambridge, MA office, because they were calling in from Florida. They also asked me to propose a compensation package for myself, and then acted upset that what I proposed wasn't generous enough, and then hung up abruptly. I almost did not go to the in-person interview. Fortunately I did go. The engineers were very professional and very enjoyable to work with.

The initial interview was about an hour, and involved working with a single individual in a paired process. They were very good about demonstrating their methodology and doing so in a code-agnostic way. Overall, this part of the program was a very positive experience.

The followup interview was a full day working on Pivotal projects with current employees, pairing the entire time. It was split into two parts, a different project in the morning and the afternoon.

Interview Questions

• They work with you to implement a Set object in Java in a paired process.   1 Answer

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone technical interview. Pair programming on shared screen. An interviewer was writing code, and I was a navigator. It was done with Test Driven Development. Every time the interviewer wrote a test case, the interview asked how I should implement a function.

Interview Questions

• Implement Set data structure with TDD by pair programming.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The interview was on phone. The interview was based on pair programming and TDD. He gave positive feedback after coding. Don't know the reason behind rejection. Right now, I don't rely on any 'response'.

Site Reliability Engineer/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The process took over 3 months. I had a HR round with Pivotal Labs in December and had almost forgotten about it until I received a call in the beginning of February asking if I could interview with them by the end of February. Since I was practising coding and preparing for interviews for over 3 months, I was ready for a coding interview and agreed to take the interview. The technical phone screen lasted for a little more than an hour where the interviewer dived directly into the programming question. Pivotal practises extreme programming methodology with pair programming technique and the interview scenario was similar. I had to talk the interviewer through my thought process of solving the given problem and he acts as a driver and types the solution in a TDD environment. The interviewer focuses on refactoring the code to an extent that it becomes DRY code. I did my interview very well after taking a bit of time to warm up as I have never worked in a TDD environment before. It was a fairly easy question but I was rejected. It is puzzling as to why I didn't get to go onsite. I am posting my question and answer along with this post hoping it would benefit someone taking the interview in the future.

Interview Questions

• Implement a Hash Set in a TDD   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview

The initial phone screen was fine. Then I was contacted to do an onsite interview in a different city. I jumped at the chance, buying a (pretty expensive) plane ticket. Several days after the interview was scheduled (and less than a week before the actual interview), they "canceled" the interview. It was such a disappointment because I was so excited about the company, but the way they handled it was pretty inconsiderate and unprofessional. If you are going to ask people to come from a different city to interview, please be serious about it.

Interview Questions

• How would you rate yourself on these skills? (HTML, CSS, Photoshop, etc.)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview

Pivotal was the worst interview I have had.

It was a pair programing, OO interview where I was dictating to another person exactly what to type. This was streamed over a video conference call with a few other people in the room as well. It was a super simple problem with the head engineer of some team.

The interviewer was mind numbingly inept. The problem was designed so that it would slowly ramp up even though the solution was clear from the start. We had to design piece by piece the solution and when I was explaining my decisions, she seemed quite flustered. She did not want me to consider other test cases and only wanted me to complete the one current test case we were on. It was clear that the code would have to be changed later on when we expanded. At one point I had to explain to her what a hash map was and how it works and after 5 minutes, she still didn't understand. It was painful to be forced to write bad code only to change it later on. The interviewer placed extreme importance on being narrow minded.

Absolutely the worst interview I had. The entire experience was very frustrating. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer it.

Agile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (Detroit, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

First was the phone screen. Then was the Skype Interview where I practiced peer programming with the programmer. Then I was called in for an on-site interview, where I spent the whole day as just another employee practicing peer programming on multiple projects that they are really working on.

Interview Questions

• She asked me to make the minimal changes to the code that would help it pass the test cases.   Answer Question