Pivotal Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 4, 2017

2.6

Site Reliability Engineer/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The process took over 3 months. I had a HR round with Pivotal Labs in December and had almost forgotten about it until I received a call in the beginning of February asking if I could interview with them by the end of February. Since I was practising coding and preparing for interviews for over 3 months, I was ready for a coding interview and agreed to take the interview. The technical phone screen lasted for a little more than an hour where the interviewer dived directly into the programming question. Pivotal practises extreme programming methodology with pair programming technique and the interview scenario was similar. I had to talk the interviewer through my thought process of solving the given problem and he acts as a driver and types the solution in a TDD environment. The interviewer focuses on refactoring the code to an extent that it becomes DRY code. I did my interview very well after taking a bit of time to warm up as I have never worked in a TDD environment before. It was a fairly easy question but I was rejected. It is puzzling as to why I didn't get to go onsite. I am posting my question and answer along with this post hoping it would benefit someone taking the interview in the future.

Interview Questions

• Implement a Hash Set in a TDD   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview

The initial phone screen was fine. Then I was contacted to do an onsite interview in a different city. I jumped at the chance, buying a (pretty expensive) plane ticket. Several days after the interview was scheduled (and less than a week before the actual interview), they "canceled" the interview. It was such a disappointment because I was so excited about the company, but the way they handled it was pretty inconsiderate and unprofessional. If you are going to ask people to come from a different city to interview, please be serious about it.

Interview Questions

• How would you rate yourself on these skills? (HTML, CSS, Photoshop, etc.)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview

Pivotal was the worst interview I have had.

It was a pair programing, OO interview where I was dictating to another person exactly what to type. This was streamed over a video conference call with a few other people in the room as well. It was a super simple problem with the head engineer of some team.

The interviewer was mind numbingly inept. The problem was designed so that it would slowly ramp up even though the solution was clear from the start. We had to design piece by piece the solution and when I was explaining my decisions, she seemed quite flustered. She did not want me to consider other test cases and only wanted me to complete the one current test case we were on. It was clear that the code would have to be changed later on when we expanded. At one point I had to explain to her what a hash map was and how it works and after 5 minutes, she still didn't understand. It was painful to be forced to write bad code only to change it later on. The interviewer placed extreme importance on being narrow minded.

Absolutely the worst interview I had. The entire experience was very frustrating. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer it.

Agile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (Detroit, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

First was the phone screen. Then was the Skype Interview where I practiced peer programming with the programmer. Then I was called in for an on-site interview, where I spent the whole day as just another employee practicing peer programming on multiple projects that they are really working on.

Interview Questions

• She asked me to make the minimal changes to the code that would help it pass the test cases.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview

After applying online, I received an email from the recruiter and scheduled for a quick non-technical interview (about salary and why you have chosen Pivotal Labs). Once this was cleared, I received another for a technical pair programming interview.

In pair programming, the interviewer will do all the coding and we have to guide him how to implement the methods. They grind you for every possibility of refactoring.

For me, I felt that the interview was more concerned about the refactoring rather than implementation.

Interview Questions

• Implement Set in Java using TDD.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

First I received a call from Hr after which I was called in Chicago office for a pair interview with Test-Driven Approach. In all these years and after so many interviews this was the weirdest interview I had given. There is a person next to you and he just keeps on going with the requirements and here they do not give importance to how the person is logically thinking and does not even check his coding skills , all i had heard for that 1 hour is refactoring and refactoring the code. This is not how Software engineers are evaluated and I seriously doubt there were any real engineers working there. Please after considering so many negative reviews on Glassdoor I would suggest them to change the way they evaluate candidates or only call people with TDD experience and just hire them without asking any technical questions or their experience. I should have taken all the negative reviews on glassdoor seriously before wasting my time there .

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Process took 3 weeks overall. Got a call from HR for 30 mins going over experiences and screening questions. Set up a skype interview afterwards with one of the devs for an hour to do pair programming.

Pros: Effective communication during the whole process. Both the HR and pair programming dev was helpful and courteous. Technical round was fun and interviewer was helpful whole time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Most of the process was good, almost everyone was kind, but it seems that they have a different idea of a culture fit compared to other companies I worked at.

Interview Questions

• We worked on testing but the problem was that at the end one of the employees who was only working there for 6 months asked me how I think I did in a leading way. He then told me that I should buy better clothes and asked if I was poor. Don't work here even if you get an offer, some of the people are too cocky.   2 Answers

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied for a Product Designer role in Chicago. It was easily one of the more intense interviews I've ever done. I did have fun with the design exercise, but there wasn't a lot of time to work on it. I wish there was a chance to re-iterate the design after the final review process just to show that I was able to respond to feedback and can push designs in the right direction.

What's frustrating was I got passed on the role for some design issues that I missed on. I admitted a lack of experience in a couple areas during the phone screen, but they still flew me out. The negative feedback on the exercise were in those same areas I mentioned on the phone. Why fly me out if I didn't hit the qualifications of a "full stack designer"? And considering it was a 3 hour exercise without any chance to re-iterate the design, the judgement felt a little harsh.

I found there to be a lack of consistency in what they were looking for and the reasons I was passed over by them.

Interview Questions

• They ask you to do a design exercise - whiteboard, wireframes, and visual design for 3 hours. Then you have to present the design to the management team.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1st round is a pair programming session lasting ~1 hr. Implement a set. Talk through the TDD thinking. No direct coding by me.

2nd round is a full day pair at the office on the real projects. One can't really prepare for that. Although the workload is appx the same as an average day working at the company.