Pivotal Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Pivotal Labs

2.7

Agile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied to Pivotal Labs online. They got back to me within a week to schedule a Skype interview. During the Skype interview, we had a bit of a pair programing exercise. I watched his screen while he asked me questions about creating a Set class in java. After, they asked me to come in to their San Francisco office for a full day. During that day I had 2 pair programming interviews. During each we worked on client projects. Later, I was then contacted by email that I did not get the job and that they were going to look elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• It was tough getting a hang of the code base during the pair programming interviews.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received an email request for an onsite pair programming interview. During the interview, we went straight into programming, no background questions, interests, etc. I am not that experienced with Java, so the interviewer did all of the keying. The task was to implement a Set with the basic functionality. All questions were easy. In fact, this was the easiest technical interview I have ever done. The interviewing engineer was extremely nice. Unfortunately I did not get a second interview. Since I answered all the technical questions well, I believe this was a test of personality, initiative, mental speed, and critical thinking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Initially contacted by HR after submitting application through their online job portal. Set up an onsite technical interview for the beginning of the following week. Contact with the recruiter was consistent and on point.

As for the interview itself, it was exactly as others on Glassdoor had previously described: I was asked to build a Set from scratch using TDD while pair programming with the interviewer. Definitely a process unique to the Pivotal way of software development. The interviewer came across as more cold than others I've talked with. Not mean or anything, but certainly not very friendly.

Ultimately I got a response two days later saying that, while they liked me, they didn't think I had enough experience to fill the position they needed at the time. They did encourage me to reach out again after I pick up some more experience.

Interview Questions

• Just one: Build a Set from scratch using TDD while pair programming in a language you're unfamiliar with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter. Was called in for an onsite interview which eventually turned to a Skype interview. The interview is really different with the focus primarily being on Test Driven Development and paired programming. They just want you to focus on making things simpler as the interviewer builds the program on the fly.

Interview Questions

• Nothing is really difficult. Thats why its really hard to know why they accept or reject somebody. Its all about whether they like you or not.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs in April 2013.

Interview

I applied through the company's website. I received an automated email back immediately and then an email from the recruiter a couple days later. In his email the requiter described the process and what would happen. The first step was the technical interview, which was over Skype.

Interview Questions

• The format of the technical interview is very different. The idea is to pair program with the interviewer, where they are typing and you are driving. It seemed more rigid that I expected though, as if there was a set script to follow. It seemed limited at each step by having to simplify down ideas. What was throwing though was having to revisit ideas that were rejected just a moment ago and having them now be the answer that the interviewer was looking for.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs.

Interview

2 phone screens
    6 rounds of onsite

Interview Questions

• 1. Detect a loop in a path (link list of nodes). Where does the path begin?
      2. About projects (3 people asked about what ive done)
      3. How does N-Way merge work   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The phone interview is a paired programming exercise where you must implement a Set using TDD. The interviewer is the "driver" of the pair so language specific knowledge is not needed.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing out of the ordinary in this interview. There will be asked if any areas need refracted so keep code efficiency in the back of your mind.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Pivotal Labs (New York, NY).

Interview

Recruiting process was very long and drawn out with huge gaps between communications from recruiters and frequent changes in contact points.

First interview was a remote pairing interview. It was a fairly simple exercise.

Second interview was again a remote pairing interview. It was longer and more detailed, but still a contrived scenario on an interview source base.

Third interview was supposed to be a full day of pairing, which was cut to a half day due to inclement weather pounding NYC. Most of the people I met were great, but pairing proved annoying at best. The interviewer/pair seemed annoyed to be working on the project we were assigned, and oscillated between overly helpful and intentionally holding back. Perhaps it was just a bad day for him or me.

Bottom line, this company requires a fairly significant time commitment to the hiring process. While there is nothing wrong with that, it is a bit annoying to have it all be wasted in a crap shoot of a single pairing exercise.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First interview - Asked to implement a set in Java using TDD. Second interview - 4 hour coding session with actual employee on actual client work with TDD.

Interview Questions

• It really wasn't TDD. He kept asking questions that could have easily been tested out. Sort of a combination of things.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online in the career site, get response in 2 days. Went through the first round. It was a Skype interview. The interview content is TDD and pair programming, in TDD I'm asked to build a set.
    Specific question: JUnit syntax, Set's operation, the complexity analysis of dynamic array. Not hard problems, get response from them the day after.