Pixar Animation Studios Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pixar Animation Studios Interview Questions

Updated Dec 8, 2016

3.1

Production Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios.

Interview

This was some time ago but for their internships, they conducted all phone interviews. There were 5 rounds or so, and numerous people on the line at each interview. They went around the room and each person asked you a specific question.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked with a difficult person and how did you manage that?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (Emeryville, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied two months before receiving any word from them, had a phone screening and then received a follow up a couple days later. The interview was on campus and had two rounds: the first half-hour with two employees and the second half-hour with one of them. They were very friendly, yet kept both a professional and personal atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Qualities that college taught me that would help me with the job.\   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios in April 2015.

Interview

During the phone interview, I was told that there would be a Skype interview and then an in-person interview. The process for this job, in particular, went very quickly because of their immediate need for a PA.

The Skype interview was an hour. In the first half hour, I met three people from Pixar. In the second half hour, I met three other people from Pixar. All of these people will be working on the film for which I was applying to assist and they were all very friendly. Some of the questions they asked pertained to my resume, some about my work style and how the people around me perceive me, and some about my interest in Pixar.

Unfortunately, I did not get the job but they were very timely with their follow up email so I knew within a few days after the interview. The interview was difficult mostly because it was over Skype, which often doesn't allow for a real connection.

Interview Questions

• 1. What was a mistake you have made and how did you go about fixing it (or perhaps not fix it)?   Answer Question
    • 2. What is a task that you had to teach yourself recently while completing it?   Answer Question
    • 3. Please go into further detail about such and such on your resume.   Answer Question
    • 4. With what type of supervisor do you work best?   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator (Wellness and Benefits) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

The interview process took about 2 hours long. I met with 3 different people. 1) recruiter, interviewed for about 30 minutes. Basically going over my resume and experience 2) HR Manager, interviewed for about 45 minutes going over my resume, experience and job description 3) HR Manager, Benefits, interviewed for about an hour going over my experience in benefits, wellness, overall HR. My 5 year goals and why I was looking to leave my current job. She then went into detail about what the position entailed.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience working with coordinating benefits, how many people oversaw benefits and how many employees etc. Are you familiar with wellness programs?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios in March 2015.

Interview

Got an email to schedule a phone interview after applying online. Quick process -- they scheduled the interview for Friday morning when I had gotten the first email Wednesday. Interviewed with two individuals for about 20 minutes. Heard back about 2-3 weeks later that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Questions about projects listed on my resume -- explain how you did _____ and what steps you took to figure out _____.
      Language questions to test knowledge on C++ and general concepts -- asked which route you would take when trying to code _____, asked what _____ is and advantages/disadvantages of C++ features.
      Answer Question

Videographer & Documentary Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (Emeryville, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with recruiter was very conversational and relaxed. We went over my resume and she asked if I had any questions, saying that she would be in touch. After a week I contacted the recruiter because I was getting other offers and they bumped up my on-site interview. On-site interview with 6 staff members, 3 meetings in teams of 2. Very relaxed and fun. I heard back within a month.

Render Pipeline Specialist Interview

Interview

This I think is the "oddest" interview experience that I've had so far: one that technically ever happened. Typically, the way I understand the job seeking process to work is like this: 1) a candidate responds to a job advertisement offered by a company, 2) the company auto-responds notifying the candidate with the usual spiel about not everyone is contacted/we'll contact you if you're a match/etc.3) At this point either you never hear back from them again (typical) or their HR contacts you to do an initial screening and things move forward (for better or worse) from there. However, I suppose there's a third type of scenario: the one in which you are being considered, but are never told until after you're not being considered any more.

I received a letter concerning the Render Pipeline position and how, after careful consideration and review of other candidates, I wasn't selected. Rejection is nothing knew to me, so I was in no way upset or put off to be told as much. The thing that slightly bothered me was that I had no idea I was even being considered. It's probably juvenile, but for me it's like being invited for a party: I'd like to know I was at least invited at some point before I'm told out of the blue I'm not going to be allowed to join in the festivities. Ultimately, this isn't a "bad" experience at all, just an odd one for me and perhaps something to be aware of when it comes to applying for work with studios like Pixar. In a way, it is technically a good thing, insofar that I at least know that they will be courteous enough to let me know they did at some point look at my resume despite not being obligated to.

Interview Questions

• None...never knew I was being actively considered as a candidate.   Answer Question

Pixar Undergraduate Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios.

Interview

I applied through my school's job portal. The interviewers came to my school and interviewed a handful of students for a variety of positions. They were very nice. One of them was a recruiter, one was a technical director, the other was an animator.

Interview Questions

• Tell me exactly what was your responsibility for this group project.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios in January 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's job portal and was scheduled to interview when Pixar visited my school. The recruiter was sick, so I only interviewed with the animator, but he was very friendly and nice. He gave me great advice and encouraged me to update my reel before the internship deadline. I'm not sure when to expect a response if there is one.

Interview Questions

• How did I approach animating a shot? What my process was like.   Answer Question

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (Emeryville, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I've interviewed with them a couple of times--both in person and over the phone. They manage to present themselves as open, inspired and friendly, but ultimately they're a big corporation. I don't think I'm meant to be a cog in the wheel.