Pixar Animation Studios Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pixar Animation Studios Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Pixar Animation Studios

4.3

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got the on-campus interview. After that, it will be another 1-2 on-site interview. Unfortunately, I didn't pass the first round.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the exact question, but it was about what kind of work you wanna do in Pixar. The interviewer listed tuns of positions in "animation terms", which I surely couldn't follow as a CS geek...   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Pixar Animation Studios

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios in March 2015.

Interview

Got an email to schedule a phone interview after applying online. Quick process -- they scheduled the interview for Friday morning when I had gotten the first email Wednesday. Interviewed with two individuals for about 20 minutes. Heard back about 2-3 weeks later that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Questions about projects listed on my resume -- explain how you did _____ and what steps you took to figure out _____.
      Language questions to test knowledge on C++ and general concepts -- asked which route you would take when trying to code _____, asked what _____ is and advantages/disadvantages of C++ features.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios.

Interview

I applied online and got a form email saying that my application was received. A few weeks later I got an email setting up a technical phone interview. The interviewer asked questions about my work history and technical questions focusing on C++ and STL. Especially about STL set.

After the phone interview I got several odd follow-up recruiter emails with stalling tactics. The usual out-of-the-office type excuses. This was annoying, but I tried to remain positive. It continued for 4-6 weeks until the recruiter set up an interview with the team.

The team interview was more of the same: questions about my background, C++ and STL (including implementing the STL set). The questions were relatively straight-forward, but I got the impression that the bar for answers was VERY high. One of the more absurd questions was "what is your greatest contribution to computer science?". It seemed unfair for a basic engineering role, but keep in mind that they mainly want engineers from MIT, Stanford, etc. If you don't have a degree from a top 5 school you'd better act like you do. Pixar is big on thinking the world of themselves, and it sure seemed like employees are expected to be huge self-promoters. There was a weird mix of false humility and elitism that didn't sit well with me. I hope I'm wrong, but that was my impression after meeting with the team.

About a week later I got another form email saying that the company gets lots of great applicants and that they weren't interested in me anymore. It wasn't even from the recruiter, just a generic automated email. It felt like a rude ending to a long and often frustrating process that dragged on for over three months.

I'm still a fan of their movies, but I don't want to work at Pixar anymore.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios.

Interview

Very intense interview. After a couple phone interview they flew me out for a full-day interview of hour-long sessions between me and the people who would become my future coworkers and leads.

Interview Questions

• How many palindrome numbers are between 1 and 10,000? (show your work)   Answer Question