Plated Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

Sort:

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Plated (New York, NY).

Interview

Submit application on website followed by a coding test.
    If that goes well a few phone calls then an in person interview with lots of team members.
    They had a really straight forward process and ask you reasonable questions. I think the biggest concern here is personality match, they seem very picky to find the right candidate. I believe they follow the hire no hire group interview process where you interview with several groups and if anyone in the interviews says no hire then even if you are smart enough you were not a good personality fit. This is a very common practice though and they were very polite during the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Plated.

Interview

My experience was positive. I applied online, and they took 3 days to get back to me. Considering how many applications companies receive, I think that's a perfectly reasonable timeframe to respond.

When I applied, I was upfront about the fact that I didn't know Ruby on Rails at the time. I think it's important to let people know this type of thing, and I was impressed by the fact that they were willing to look past my limitations and give me a chance by granting an interview. I suspect their philosophy is one of "You either know how to code, or you don't". It's a philosophy with which I wholeheartedly agree.

So... Via telephone, I met with the senior business and technical recruiter for about 45 minutes. I was asked questions about things that I'm proud of, and things that I'm not so proud of. These are difficult questions to answer, but necessary to illustrate the entire person. An interview shouldn't just be about showcasing one's achievements.

Although I certainly understand why people ask them, I could live without the "on a scale of 1 to 10" questions. There's, like, 50 billion things to know about C++. (Disclaimer: I've never actually counted all the things to learn about C++, I bet I'm probably rounding down.) But if I say that I am a 9, that basically means I don't know 5 billion things about C++. What can I say? I'm a math geek.

After the phone interview was over, I was then set up with a live coding session. I met the lead engineer via video conference. He asked me some basic questions, and it was pretty obvious at the start that my skills weren't going to cut it. Truth be told, I didn't get far enough to provide anyone with an accurate review of the live coding session. But if it helps, the interviewer was very personable and professional. (And patient. That's a rare quality in an IT manager.)

Companies sometimes prefer the "brush-off approach" by ignoring the applicant completely, causing the applicant to constantly wait for an answer that might not ever come.

'Twas not the case at Plated. Not long after our coding session was over, I received the fairly obvious response that they wouldn't be pursuing me as a candidate.

I truly appreciated the upfront approach at Plated, because it lets you know right away as to whether you should move on to other opportunities. It also allowed me to retain some of my dignity, seeing as I generally prefer to avoid playing the Charlie Brown character in the play known as "Will Charlie Brown Finally Kick that Football?" Because let's be honest here... Charlie Brown is probably not going to kick that football, is he?

That's the process. Again, I have no complaints. Everyone was really intelligent, positive, and professional. That's really all I can ask for.

Interview Questions

• At your previous company, how would your manager rank you as an employee?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Plated.

Interview

First came the standard screening call with the company's recruiter, who was an excellent person with whom to speak. Next came a pretty challenging Lytmus test, which was a combination algorithm/framework test around a few real world problems. Definitely not trivial. Next, another interview with a Senior Engineer, which should have been the final step before an onsite, IMHO. But no, this company was tiresome enough to request yet another interview, this time in the form of a live coding session, at which I excelled (even though it seemed the interviewer could care less about what was happening - pretty sure he was Slacking or otherwise occupied 80% of the time). Then came the news that there were "question marks" around my coding ability... :\

Interview Questions

• Build a deck of cards programmatically, then implement rules for a game.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Plated.

Interview

Was able to connect with a recruiter at Plated, who asked me for my availabilities. After sending him my availabilities and blocking that time off, I never heard back from him. The day before my available time, I gave him additional availabilities in case he'd like to reschedule. Still no response. In the end, they gave me a generic email saying they'd like to move in a different direction.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Plated (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Initial phone call. Tech screen (easy). Five Hour on site interview. The initial phone screeen was easy, the tech challenge was intermediate level and then a five hour "personality" interview, in which they asked for unpaid consultation.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to implement a new feature for their site   1 Answer

Assistant General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Plated (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

None, recruited by colleague. The interview was an informal meet and greet. I'm not a reliable source to state how the company interviews. But, from what I hear, they are very thorough and check references.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Plated in January 2018.

Interview

I was never contacted via Plated directly, but after completing the application I was sent a Lytmus take-home (coding challenge)within a week. I thought I had a pretty good response for the take-home but never received a call or email after completing it. Also thought it was weird that I never received a call or email prior to completing it but was just randomly sent a Lytmus take-home with no real information.

Interview Questions

• Two questions, one on parsing JSON and another on using a framework to create a new webpage.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Plated (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was very professional. I heard back after applying online fairly soon and it all moved pretty quickly. Everyone I met and talked to were very pleasant. I was skeptical about the atmosphere at the office basing it off Glassdoor reviews but it seemed like a great place to work although no one spent a lot of time discussing that with me.

Interview Questions

• Describe your last job in detail. Why did you leave?   Answer Question
    • What was your greatest accomplishment at your last position?   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Plated (New York, NY).

Interview

Very disorganized scheduling and bad communication. Waited for 20 minutes during a video interview for someone to show up on camera. I spoke with numerous people, but never the same person twice. My final interview consisted of the manager simply complaining that no one cares to work in the department everyone quits on him. When he asked if I had any questions the only thought in my head was “why would I work here?”

Interview Questions

• They’re all personality questions, which purposely, aren’t skill-related to the position. I appreciated the approach, but, “what’s the weirdest thing you do” isn’t as endearing of an interview question as they think it is.   Answer Question

Warehouse Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Plated (Alameda, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Short and unprofessional...
    we spoke in the corner for about 5 minutes..mostly about the company. I wasn't asked anything about myself, who I am, what are my skills, nothing.. And that was it.. I was hired