Cover image for PlayStation

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

PlayStation Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 33 of over 426 interviews

Staffing Agency7%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

PlayStation

Application

I interviewed at PlayStation

Interview

All my interviews were remote. No HackerRank, LeetCode, whiteboard, etc. Incredibly pleasant experience thru and thru! Every interview had the same vibe as you and someone else sitting in a diner, sipping coffee, and having a casual conversation... but remotely. Applied through a post on LinkedIn. A few weeks later I was sent a connection request from the hiring manager. We spoke about different architectures, programming languages, and shared hobbies. The first screening call was with the recruiter. Talked about my previous experiences and time at university. For the second interview, I had to sign NDAs so I won't be able to get into it. But I talked with the hiring manager and spoke about my experiences. The third interview was a panel interview, much like the 2nd interview, under NDA so can't speak about it.

PlayStation

Application

I interviewed at PlayStation

Interview

3 rounds, 2 remote, 1 on-site. Not very technical, just quizzed on some engineering terms and asked some behavioral questions. Casual atmosphere, the team made me feel very welcome. The whole process was completed in around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
  • Q: Describe a time you overcame a difficulty
    Answer Question

PlayStation

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PlayStation

Interview

Applied Online 1. HR round : Phone screening : 30 min 2. Hiring Manager : Phone Interview: 30 min 3. Team Onsite interview : ~ 3-4 hours with break after every hour

Interview Questions
  • Programming questions and asked the output of a program.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PlayStation (San Diego, CA) in Feb 2022

Interview

This was for a contract-to-hire position at Sony Playstation which was going to full remote. I was not prepped by the non-Sony recruiter at all that there was going to be a coding test. It was about 1 hour long initial phone call where 30 minutes was talking and 30 minutes was a coding exercise. The phone call was suppose to be with a director or manager of engineering but instead I got on the phone call with two guys that look like they just woke up wearing almost pajama like clothes with heavy accents + choppy audio. Keep in mind, I currently have 9.5 years of experience. Once the typical talking of introductions goes by for the first 30 minutes, they gave me a coding test. I solved the coding test within 10-15 minutes. Ran the Submit and it passed all test cases. During my problem solving, I recognized the logic and what I needed to do so I asked them if I could look up the appropriate regex to filter out part of the problem since I didnt remember the exact regex. They said ya that's fine. After doing that, I solved the rest of the test very quickly and searched another thing I had to reference at some point. (this is typical software engineering at the work place, we cant remember everything) One of the interviewers started bugging me asking me if I knew what the regex was actually doing. I said not exactly but based on my search, it is doing what I needed and I told them that if I need to know all the details I can easily lookup how the regex was built and break it down for you. So I did that and proved it to him. Then I started getting nit picked about how I didnt check for nulls. I wasnt sure why they did this since I passed all tests cases and most coderpad/hackerrank type problems don't require that. Overall, the interview felt kind of weird. I eventually got a decline with no feedback or response even though I showed them I could solve and code quickly and communicate as well.

Interview Questions
  • How was the token in the authentication handled in your API? Do you think you need to check for nulls? What does the regex mean that you just looked up?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PlayStation (Birmingham, England) in Jan 2022

Interview

Thorough in depth conversation it seems they take the conversation in the direction you take it. If you get technical they will get further technical and so on. Alot of the wording of questions can be tricky but fairly simple answers

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PlayStation (San Francisco, CA) in Jan 2020

Interview

Applied On linkin, 45 min phone + 1.5h Algorithm, about One month, the interview process is interesting with much more details.mainly about micro service, docker, kubernetes, simple algorithm about bit manipulation,

Interview Questions
  • java IOC, DI, HashMap , reverse singly linkedlist, Java Spring frame work
10 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Ban Som Phone

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PlayStation (Ban Som Phone) in Oct 2019

Interview

1st round interview w/prospective manager but didn't know it at the time. Technical but no coding. Mainly asked about background, experience, skills, etc. Signed NDA before 2nd round interview. 2nd round interview with hiring team (3 people). Also technical but no coding. Asked about almost everything on resume. Asked about a lot of data structure questions. Offer after 2nd round.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PlayStation (Aliso Viejo, CA) in Feb 2019

Interview

The first interview was over the phone with a panel of engineers from different teams. I applied from a backend position but the panel thought I would be a better fit for an infrastructure team. The onsite interview was a standard all day interview with different groups of people. It seemed like at least two of the interviews were not planned, so I just spent the full hour chatting with the panel. The other two interviews were on systems design and networking. The questions were average. The next day the recruiter reached out saying that the interviews went very well and that the executive team was deciding what position would be best for my profile. A week later got an email saying something similar that the execs were still deciding. Finally, I reached out to the recruiter after 3 weeks since the onsite interview. She didn't reply.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

PlayStation

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PlayStation in Dec 2018

Interview

I got an email for the technical round and had given the dates accordingly. The interview was around 30 to 45 minutes long. The Interviewer had emailed with the shared document link and then called. The Interviewer did not waste time on introduction he started asking questions within the first minute itself. Overall, if you are a new grad, as i am, it will be an easy interview just be strong in your basics and read the requirements throughly.

Interview Questions
  • String Manipulation: Print a sentence in reverse (with words separated by spaces and the whole sentence in reverse)
Be the first to find this interview helpful

PlayStation

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PlayStation

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted by a recruiter one month later to schedule a phone interview with the hiring team manager. It was specifically stated in the mail to have a laptop with internet access ready as it was going to be a coding interview. A day later the recruiter gets back to say the manager has decided that a senior team member would be conducting my interview instead. During the interview, I come to know that it was not going to be a coding exercise but a Q&A of concepts. I was not prepared for this but still answered all but one question. When I informed the interviewer that I was told it was going to be a coding interview, she had no clue about it and said 'I was picked last minute and they didn't tell me much'. How disorganized!?

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Interviews