Pocket Gems Associate Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pocket Gems Associate Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Pocket Gems

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

One phone call and one in person interview. Phone call was short and relatively cursory. In-person interview involved speaking with several different employees over two hours. At one point I had to draw a UI for an engaging power metering app on a white board.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to draw a UI for a phone app that would connect to your power meter and encourage reducing energy consumption.   1 Answer

Mar 28, 2018 – Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, particularly several years after your interview! I hope that you found a great position and we wish you all of the best.

Other Interview Reviews for Pocket Gems

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

- Phone screen took about 30min.
    - Given an assignment to complete before end of week.

The assignment tested 3 things:
    - Data analysis ability and what conclusions you draw from it.
    - Understanding of mid-core games.
    - Game design improvements.

I had a few questions about the assignment, and they unfortunately did not respond to me before the due date. So, I had to make assumptions on a few things which was a little frustrating. I felt like I wasn't given a fair shot, but I tried submitting it anyway.

After sending them my completed assignment, they followed up with a rejection email, and vague feedback on the assignment. Feedback was along the lines of "your assignment was good, but we had something else in mind."

Interview Questions

Pocket Gems Response

Apr 25, 2018 – Recruiter

Thanks for your honest feedback about your experience interviewing with Pocket Gems. Our team works hard to make sure that each candidate feels prepared and has the information they need throughout... More

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

1st phone screening focused on my interests and how much I know about the gaming industry. You get a feeling that they want a gamer on-board. I am not a gamer, but I justified my experience and the game project I produced. I then had an assignment with 2 questions with 3 parts each. I had a week to work and submit it and I worked hard to review a lot of games and play a few to get an idea. I enjoyed the process of solving the test. However, I did not move forward, and the recruiter was kind enough to get on a call with me to get some basic feedback on what they wanted to see.

Interview Questions

• Don't exactly remember but 1st question was on describing the games I like. 2nd part was on the improvements I would introduce to 2 of the games. 3rd part was why 2 of the games I listed stand out. 2nd question was - given 3 types of fuel based car, which would you pick and why - this required making a set of assumptions. There is no right or wrong for any of the answers. They only evaluate your thought process and structuring. It is still not clear to me what lacked in my answers apart from the fact that I am not a die-hard gamer!   Answer Question

Nov 9, 2018

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate you taking the extra step to research and dive into the gaming world for the assignment! We hope you’ll consider us again in the future.

Associate Product Manager Interview

Interview

Do not apply to Pocket Gems. They are a complete and total joke. I was already skeptical due to their bad Glassdoor reviews in which basically everyone said they were rejected after completing an assignment. I decided to just complete the assignment because it wasn't that long. Two days later the recruiter sends a rejection email. I asked her if my submission had even been reviewed. I'm awaiting a response. I reiterate, do not apply to Pocket Gems. I find this trend of giving candidates assignments to be extremely problematic. Companies like Pocket Gems compound the problem by beginning the process with an assignment, before even speaking with the candidate on the phone. Additionally, it seems like they give a bunch of candidates the assignment only to reject them. I question whether these assignments are even being reviewed adequately. Pocket Gems appears to have no problem wasting candidates' time, while candidates have to be invested from the onset and dedicate an arguably significant amount of time to completing assignments.

Interview Questions

• no questions. the whole process begins with an assignment.   Answer Question

Nov 9, 2018

Thank you for all the time you spent on our take-home assignment and submitting feedback. We aspire to a thoughtful and thorough interview process for every candidate, and we are sorry to hear that... More

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

Went through a month long interview process without ever speaking to anyone on the team except for recruiters. Before a phone screen I had to complete an assignment about 2 mobile games that I have played. Had a 30-45min phone screen with a recruiter who then gave me an assignment about mobile games and how I would approach the problem of buying a gas, hybrid, or electric car. Submitted assignment and was rejected but was emailed a couple days later to do the assignment again. Recruiter I was talking to left in the middle of all of this and I had to follow up with a new recruiter to continue the process. Spent several more days on the assignment only to be rejected by a generic email again. This process was confusing and time consuming with no opportunity to even talk to the actual product team. It felt like my time was not valued and I asked for feedback but have not heard back yet.

Interview Questions

• Have you played Episode or War Dragons? What are your career aspirations? Why Pocket Gems?   Answer Question

Nov 9, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and for all the time you spent with us interviewing!
    We apologize for the confusion and we are working hard to ensure a seamless process for all candidates moving... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and was guided by a recruiter through screening and a take-home assignment. After a take-home assignment I was was given an interview-- through the phone with another Associate Product Manager.

To keep it brief, the process is somewhat convoluted. After passing the assignment phase, strangely was not given an in-person but another phone call asking even more questions despite the level of work executed clearing.

The first screening aspect was good, the assignment means to invite the candidate to go above and beyond the suggested timeline of "3-5 Hours to Complete"-- it was far more a couple of days work. The assignment itself also gave an impression of free research/idea creation for the company.

The interview with an existing Product Manager post-assignment lacked any real clarity into fixing the problems it discussed and didn't provide any real information to make decisions-- user data, common operating systems, most common use cases.

From return on feedback I'm not quite sure how Pocket Gems is going to capture any talent with so many hoops to jump through. Speaking with colleagues that have gone to become Software Engineers for large tech companies that previously interviewed here (He was given 3 assignments over time), Pocket Gems spends too much time working on theory and not experience.

Interview Questions

• "Name 5 games which you believe are well designed and explain why they are well designed. Provide at least 2 mobile game examples and be as detailed as possible."   Answer Question

Nov 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It’s important for us to have a thoughtful and thorough interview process in order to give a realistic sense of the expectations of the role... More

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

i applied as I'm hoping to move to something without coding. I was under the impression that the mundane approach to hiring for coders (where you spent X amount of hours and assignments without getting the chance to speak with anyone at all) was something I could avoid as that's one thing about the coding interview standards I absolutely hate. However, I was disgusted to find out that's exactly how Pocket Gems takes their approach to hiring for an associate product manager. I was sent the standard homework assignment others on their glassdoor have received without any chance to talk about my intentions, what I look for in a company, etc. These kinds of companies without any opportunity to talk with anyone need to rethink their approach to hiring if they want a good reputation. this assignment was the same as the one other reviewers mentioned.

Interview Questions

• see similar reviews for actual assignment.   1 Answer

Mar 19, 2019 – Recruiting Team

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We’re sorry that you did not enjoy our interview process. We understand that the assignment takes time, but we believe it to be an... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

1) Phone screen with hiring manager
    2) 2 days to complete an exercise
    3) Phone call with PM
        -Questions about games. Fav vs Least favorite & why
        -Project management questions

Interview Questions

• How would you plan a new feature launch   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview and very lengthy in person interview, the interview process was difficult. it was a series of people who were interviewing me and were trying to show my passion for video games. the role wasn't a technical role, but they expected the candidate to be able to have design and technical experience just during the interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Ask me to spend 2-8 hours on an assignment, include game design and some data analysis.
    I will have phone interview next few days. I will update the interview questions later. I am guessing it is about a brief introduction of your self and something about your resume. It will take about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• I will have phone interview next few days. I will update the interview questions leter   2 Answers