Pocket Gems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pocket Gems Interview Questions

Interviews at Pocket Gems

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

After apply online, hr get in touch with me to do first phone interview. After the first interview, I get positive feedback to do the 2rd round. After second interview, I am now waiting for the feedback. Regularly, there are total three phone interviews before the onsite interview.
    Each interview takes about 40 to 60 minutes.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in May 2015.

Interview

The questions were fair. Didn't ask anything about relevant work/project experience. The interviewer was very disrespectful and rushed to end the interview (cut my questions off and my interview time short). I was quite excited to be interviewed by Pocket Gems and really wanted to join their team, but afterward I lost my interest.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Submit resume on company website, 2 phone interviews followed by a full day onsite interview, which consists 4 one hour back to back interviews.

The interview were not that hard, However, there are some extremely serious issues regarding the entire interview process. Which I will describe in detail below, If Pocket Gems wants to continue delivering good games, staying in game industry and want to get the most qualified candidates, this must be changed, or no one in the future will be interested in your company!

First of all, before I started applying, I've heard numerous negative feedback regarding the recruiting process of Pocket Gems. For example,leave candidates hanging,ignore emails,rejecting candidates without a reason(even if the candidate answers the interview question flawlessly), not replying candidates thank you letter(this is really rude and unprofessional) I was like, fine, I will just give it a try, it won't hurt anything and there's nothing to lose, so I went ahead and submitted my resume.

Passed both phone interview and did an full day onsite interview, 2 days later I was informed that they decide not to move to the offer phase. That was totally fine with me, because for one of the interviews during the onsite I didn't do really well and I understand the bar is high.

Rejection is really normal for job seekers, but at Pocket Gems, some of the interviewers will evaluate your skills not by what you know or how you performed, but by some other factors.

<<<It is gender discrimination>>>

I know this is a really serious topic. and let me explain what has happened and what I've heard.

As I mentioned, rejection is really normal, and personally I don't mind getting rejected if it's due to my lack or preparation or I'm not skilled enough. What can absolutely not be tolerated is the rejection is due to candidate's gender, skin color, race or religion. If the interviewer wants to fail you, he will find a way regardless

Okay, you may want to ask: what was going on?

First of all, I've about 7 friends who have applied Pocket Gems in the past, and surprisingly all of my male friends got rejected and all my female friends got the offers. Initially it didn't really bother me, because it's possible that all the my female friends are super talented. However, later on my male friends got offers from Google, Facebook and Amazon, then I started wondering what's going on there. I've done interviews(both phone and onsite) with Google, amazon, Facebook and LinkedIn in the past and I have a fairly good insight about the difficulty level of their interview. Pocket Gems' interview is way, way easier than FLAG's. Furthermore, I know some of my female friends really well. I don't mean to praise myself, but my technical skills and background is way stronger than theirs.

It's not a coincidence.

This is a common sense, if my male friends can get offer from Google or Facebook, it is crystal clear that they are really talented software engineers. I've talked to all of them, and the feedback I got from my male friends were all negative

all of my male friends told me that some of the interviewers were really rude and disrespectful, and they felt the onsite interview were so tough, when stuck, interviewers will not give any hint nor talk with you, there was no communication at all. some of them just keep yawning and playing their cell phone, it was almost impossible to pass.

However, on the other hand, the feedback from my female friends were generally positive, they told me that the onsite interview was not that tough, and it was a great experience, all interviewers were really friendly and will provide helpful hints when stuck.

At this point, you probably see what's going on.

Interview Questions

• When I was doing my onsite interview, I've had similar experience, one of my interviewers was yawning, sleepy, very impatient, rude, and refuse to provide any hint. Another of my interviewers was really tough, I solved the initial coding question within about 15 min, and I was asked about 10 follow up questions for an one hour interview.

It is not acceptable for interviewers using different bars when interviewing different candidates. Again I'm not trying to praise myself, I have 2 years software development experience and I graduated from one of the top 10 CS university with 3.5 GPA and multiple scholarships and award, and it's unlikely that a new grad female candidate with no experience will be a better fit(I'm not saying it's impossible, I totally agree there are lots of talented female candidates) If there's a algorithm or coding contest somewhere, I'm very confident that I can beat at least 70% of your female engineers who got the offer.

Dear Mr.Ben Liu, I hope you can see this. Your HR'S unprofessional conduct and this gender based interview process need serious attention! I've written a post on an online forum and lots people have had similar experience and they are spreading the words to their friends: DO NOT APPLY POCKET GEMS.

Like I said, if an interviewer wants to fail you, he will find a way no matter how well you've performed.
      I hope the management of Pocket Gems can see this and take it into serious consideration. Your recruiting process has some extremely serious issue and it will impact your company in a very negative way!   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

I just resume dropped on my school's career services page and got a very prompt response to schedule a first round interview. That said, the interview itself was much more "code monkey"-ish than I expected. In most other interviews I've had, interviewers care more about your thought process than your ability to write syntactically correct code, but here they expected it to compile and run. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just not at all what I expected so my usual "write pseudocode for functions I don't know the exact name of" approach didn't work, and I had to rely on the interviewer to fill in the syntax blanks. In the end, I think this is what doomed me because while I eventually got the desired output, it took a fair amount of trial and error with respect to syntax, and I was rejected almost immediately after the interview (quite literally within five minutes). My advice would be to pick a language and know it well.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of ints and an integer k, return the k (note: not the kth) most frequent elements   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in March 2015.

Interview

It was the first phone interview. Questions were asked at the beginning of the interview. The whole interview lasted about 50 minutes. The interview are smooth. Interview gave me hints and helped me to solve questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Asked 2 questions. The first one was some type of warm up question. The second was the one that I seemed to have gotten stuck. The interviewer seems nice. When I got stuck on his second question, I told him my thought process, and somewhat helped me out.

Interview Questions

• Write a function which, given a ternary expression string input, parses the input into the correct tree and returns the root node of the tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in May 2015.

Interview

apply online, get interview, phone interview first round. The questions are fair enough. But the interviewer was keep interrupting me, spend half time writing unless code and argue with him. But he is nice overall.

Interview Questions

• string and kth from a array. Just like other questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied on their website. And they contacted me very quick to schedule a technical interview. It is the first round phone screen interview. They sent me a online document and I write the answer on it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

telephone interview, first step.
    the interviewer introduce himself first, and let me introduce myself in briefly.
    two coding problem. one is implement strStr() method. the second one is find the k most repeated number.

Interview Questions

• one is implement strStr() method.
       the second one is find the k most repeated number.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in March 2015.

Interview

It is a phone interview that lasts for about 35 minutes. The engineer seems nice, I have a little bug at first and he give me the clues to find it out and debug. I will conduct the follow-up phone interview in the next week. Hope everything goes well. It usually costs three days to receive the result, kind of fast, so that we don't have to wait for a long tough time.

Interview Questions

• Two simple coding problems, the one is strstr() and the other is the kth most frequently occurred word in an array. And ask the complexity of the algorithm I designed.   1 Answer