Pocket Gems Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.3

Product Manager, Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online through university job board and company website, was then asked completed a questionnaire, phone interview with product team member, and then completed an onsite interview at the office in SF with 5 different members on the team.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The hiring process is very long. I passed 1 online assessment, 2 phone screens, 1 on-site interview (4 rounds), and 3 reference checks to received an offer. You need to expect difficult questions and tons of follow-ups, both in phone interviews and on-site interviews. Culture match and communication are also important. Overall, the whole process is very organized, giving me a feeling they care about the applicant's qualification very much.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through an internal referral. Received an assignment with market data and questions and had 3 days to complete it. Then had a phone interview with a senior marketing manager. Moved on to an onsite which was about 5 hours with 5 people. Came back for another onsite a week later with 1 person.

Interview Questions

• Case study type questions and some abstract problem solving questions.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The process consisted of a phone interview and an onsite with multiple requests to see my writing skills. Overall, the experience was extremely negative. The entire interview panel, from the recruiter to the VP all came into the interview with their laptops and used them throughout the interview. The recruiter found himself at a loss of words when he could not get the projector to work to show me some report I would potentially be working on. The team was very nice to accommodate an interview after working hours (5-7 pm). I realized mid interview they were not being accommodating, they work crazy hours. Ultimately, they never followed up with me, and I had to login to jobvite (their applicant tracking system) to see that my application was closed. My parking was also never validated as was promised.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle 2 competing interview requests at the same time   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

1) Phone screen with hiring manager
    2) 2 days to complete an exercise
    3) Phone call with PM
        -Questions about games. Fav vs Least favorite & why
        -Project management questions

Gemmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very long and tedious. They are really looking for a personality fit...more so than the job requirements. So if you aren't a millenial who lives and breathes games, you may not fit.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

oa + phone interview. The problem in online assessment was the same as others. The question in phone interview was that the biggest sum path of binary tree. But the interviewer was in a hurry and pushed you all the time. Bad experience.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews then an onsite interview that took four hours. I also completed an assignment between the second phone interview and the onsite. I was told I'd hear back the next week but I never received any follow up.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

After coordinating with an HR representative via mail, I was scheduled for two successive phone screens. Following those two I was brought to the office for in person interviews. Over the course of 3-4 hours I interviewed with almost a dozen employees that were each in some way connected to the desired job position.

Pros:
     - The phone interviews were to-the-point and friendly.
     - The wait to interview in person was short and they reserve a room just for the interviewer. Refreshments provided.
     - Management and product related interviewers asked prudent and engaging questions.

Cons:
     - Many of the people interviewing are developers/back-end and not used to interviewing. The questions from these interviewers were often not phrased clearly and their demeanors were somewhat awkward.
     - Since there were so many interviewers, there was much repetition in the questions.
     - Being a string of different interviews, the in-person interview process took longer and had significantly less depth than a group interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Write out a sample test case for a given game scenario.
      Q: Suppose our game suddenly starts displaying a black screen upon opening it a day before launch. What do you do? [sic]
      Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job online. I was contacted quickly by a recruiter explaining they want to set up a phone interview with a member of their QA team. I was told to play the mobile game I would be working on as I would be asked questions about this in my phone interview.

The person conducting my phone interview gave me the impression he was reading down a list of questions with little or no reaction to my answers. A good phone interview should be a responsive conversation.

I was later sent a generic rejection email with not constructive feedback. I have requested personal feedback with no response so far.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Pocket Gems compared to other Games Design companies?   Answer Question