Point B Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Point B Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at Point B

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I sent my resume online with a cover letter to Point B. They contacted me fairly quickly and set up a phone interview. That covered basic resume info. They then called me to set up an initial interview with an associate over lunch. That consisted of getting to know each other, a lot of resume questions, and trying to get a sense of fit into the Point B culture. I then got a 2nd one on one interview with another associate. This focused more on my technical and project management experience. It lasted about 1 1/2 hours. The 2nd interviewer called me the following week and told me they liked me, but that my strategic consulting experience did not fit as well into their more technical project management work as other candidates - which was probably true, I probably only covered about 20% of the work they do.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some of the IT projects you have worked on?   1 Answer
  • I received a case study on putting in a new software for the recruiting process for a coffee company - it was the interviewer's current project he was working on.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Point B

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Point B contacted me via email after I applied to begin the process. The recruiting process manager had a quick phone conversation with me (not an interview) to explain a bit about Point B and the interview process.

I was put in touch with a Point B Associate fairly quickly for my first round interview. We met in a local coffee shop and primarily discussed my background, interest, and motivations. We also discussed my interviewer's experience both and Point B and elsewhere. It was a fairly casual interview and there were no cases, brain teasers, or horrible, scripted STAR-style behavioral questions. My interviewer was pleasant throughout, and I passed on to the second round.

The second-round interview took place in a casual restaurant and was with a Senior Associate. There was some more review of my current position and experience, but there was less emphasis on it than the first round. In this interview, there was a script/form that was followed to some degree, but it didn't seem forced. There was a case-like question as well, but a lot of the time was spent discussing Point B differentiators as well and the conversation was very bi-directional and not interrogation style. At the end of the interview my interviewer let me know that I should expect to hear back soon about the third round interview, which I did.

The third round interview took place in the Point B office. Prior to this interview, I was also asked to provide a writing sample in the form of a one-page response to one of two prompts (my choice). During the third interview, we discussed my response to the prompt and also went through a more traditional case question than interview 2. My interviewer provided feedback throughout the whole process which was very helpful. We also had additional time at the end for questions. Prior to the interview, I was also sent an informational packet which was very thoughtful and provided a lot of good background on the company which helped me form some of my questions during this round.

The final interview was also in the Point B office. It was primarily a fit interview, with a lot of questions about my experience and interests as well as plans for or thoughts about my future. We discussed where I would fit at Point B and what types of projects I'd be taking on. We also discussed Point B's values and position in the market as well as my interviewer's experience before and after joining Point B. The interviewer was very open about what he viewed as my main strengths and weaknesses as a candidate and I was able to provide my own input and feedback about his assessment. As with all the previous interviews (#3 being the closest to an exception), it was very conversational and it felt like a natural conversation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Point B (Irvine, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiting. She was very pleasant and personable. Basic questions and validation of my experience. Second interview was with an employee. She was 30 minutes late to the interview at a coffee shop. I called the office 15 minutes after our interview time and they transferred me to her cell phone where she advised she was running late. She was annoyed that with my call and it showed throughout the entire interview. Her questions were rote and she did not ask any clarifying or follow up questions. It appears her mind was made up before she began the interview.

Point B Response

May 8, 2014 – National Recruiting Director

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I want to apologize that the person you interviewed with did not show you the respect you deserve by being late to the interview and not letting... More

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Point B in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process consists of 4 interviews, each with different interviewers who are either Associates or Senior Associates from that market. Preceding the start of this process is a phone screening with a member of the HR team. The HR team member gives an overview of the process during the screening call. My experience of this process was extremely positive. I was always aware of the next step and felt well informed.

Interview Questions

• In the second interview (I2) candidates are asked to respond to a case question. There is not a lot of context provided, so candidates will have to think on their feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation what handed by my executive recruiter

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for an associate position in the Seattle, WA office. My resume was submitted through an employee referral, and within one week I had a phone screen with an HR rep. This was followed by a casual first interview with a senior associate in a coffee shop setting - a friendly back-and-forth conversation with me sharing details about my experience and him providing information on the company. The second interview was also with a senior associate in a coffee shop, but of slightly more intensity than the first. The questions were progressively more challenging, including scenario based questions. Then I was invited to submit a writing sample/case study, followed by a third interview with a hiring manager in their office. This was by far the most challenging interview with more situational and case study questions. The fourth and final interview was also with a hiring manager, but this was softer finish with more culture-fit questions.

The interview process was actually pretty enjoyable - I found myself feeling increasingly more excited about the prospects Point B has to offer, and enjoyed being able to share the experiences and competencies that I felt I could bring to the table. The process was lengthy (about 6 weeks overall), due to the fact that you are not able to advance to each successive interview until your current interviewer provides a recommendation to do so.

The written case study was challenging due to its ambiguity, but I have a feeling it was intentionally vague. I imagine they want to see how you as a consultant my handle a similar situation with a client in which you have to make recommendations without having all of the information.

Overall, thumbs up!

Interview Questions

• Describe how you might help a company design a project to improve it's supply chain operations
      Describe the project lifecycle and how you would use project leadership practices for a specific project
      Describe how you would build a marketing expansion plan   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Yorba Linda, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Yorba Linda, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was extremely impressed by the thoughtfulness of the entire process. Each interview was 1:1 which allowed me to get to know the interviewer much better than had the interview been in a group setting. The entire process was guided by two internal HR representatives who provided me web based resources and were available by email and phone to answer any of my many questions. I accepted the position after the standard 4 interviews and one written case study as described by other posters.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

4 part interview. Very tough, they ask a lot of thorough, thoughtful questions, relevant to the position you are applying for. They ask for a written essay in interview #3. Be yourself, be genuine. That's what matters.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA).

Interview

You'll begin with a short screening call with a member of their HR staff during which they'll explain the interview process. You'll then schedule a 1 on 1 interview with an associate. If you move on from there you'll have a second associate interview, case study, and then another interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to have a difficult conversation with an executive. Go through your resume and speak to your professional experience. Describe a day in the life of your most recent job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2016.

Interview

I had multiple rounds of interviews, beginning with a phone screen by an HR rep in Seattle (I was applying for a role in Phoenix, but was living elsewhere at the time of my application/interview process). I then had three additional rounds of interviews. Two of these interviews were over Skype, and the final one was actually in Phoenix at a Point B office. The HR interview and first round were both general interviews. Getting to know me and learning more about my background and interest in Point B. Of course, I had to answer the questions around "Why Point B", "Why consulting?", "Why Now", which I expected (I came from industry).

The Skype interview that followed this was heavy on case-type situations. My interviewer was thorough and tough, but very open and easy to chat with. Finally, after passing the second Skype interview, I flew to Phoenix to interview in person. That was also a tough interview and the interviewer was hard to read while asking me case questions and generally getting to know me, but I was immediately introduced to the Practice Director for a final conversation and verification that I would be receiving an offer.

Overall, the interview and application process was straightforward. It did not take long (I think maybe a little more than a month or 1.5 months), and the Point B staff in Seattle and Phoenix were extremely efficient in getting me through the process.

Interview Questions

• Why Point B? Why consulting? Why now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Started with a casual phone screening, which led to an in-person interview. 2 more subsequent interviews after that. A lot of personal questions since culture is a very important aspect of the company. Casual interviews in cafe's/restaurants as well as more professional interviews in offices.