Point B Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Point B

3.2

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Overall it was a good experience although I did not receive an offer. The reason given seemed completely contrived -- "not enough experience in different industries" -- which is interesting because the job posting specifically asked for experience in IT projects, not a swath of experience in different sectors. Besides, I'm a career software consultant/business analyst/project manager who's worked in IT capacities in various sectors, e.g. Aerospace Mfg, Healthcare, etc. So I don't feel they were being very forthcoming in their reasoning, which is disappointing.

Process-wise:

First was the "screening" interview which wasn't even with a person -- you had to video record yourself answering prompted questions through some online module that was finicky and difficult to use.

Second was a discussion with the recruiter, which was extremely high-level. I was then contacted to schedule an in-person interview with a local senior associate.

Third, the in-person interview, went extremely well. A couple case questions (basically "what would you do if the client wanted to explore building a new information system" or something to that effect) and some more background on the company. My interviewer was super cool, and it got me excited to potentially be a colleague of his.

Fourth was a written case response that would be discussed in the next interview. Pretty open-ended and they just want to see how you talk through project work, how you think about it, etc. I just ran with it not knowing how I was supposed to answer, and it turned out my instincts were right. So the next interview was with a senior associate again. Met up in a public place, just as with the previous interview, and got into a couple case questions again (the specifics escape me). More delving into how you work, how you handle situations, past experiences, etc. Basically a longer version of the previous interview. I thought I really hit it off with this senior associate, as he spent many years as an SAP consultant, which I have a lot of experience in.

That's where it ended for me. The company seems awesome and the people seem awesome, so it was a bit of a bummer not to move forward, especially after countless hours of effort and months of the process culminating in "not enough exposure to different industries." My first senior associate interviewer was solely from a Finance background and had zero IT experience prior to joining the company, so what gives?

Interview Questions

• WRITTEN CASE:
      A major healthcare client has asked you to assess the possibility of outsourcing their desktop management capability to a near shore location. What steps would you take to conduct the assessment? What’s the general outline of your assessment and what type of information would each section include?   2 Answers

Dec 26, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you so much for providing feedback on our process and your interactions with Point B. Your feedback is greatly appreciated for us to learn and grow. Thank you for your feedback on our video... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Started with a 45 minute phone interview where I was asked about my experience and then about what I was looking for in this role.

From there I was contacted the next week to set up an in person interview with one of their current associates. I was asked a lot about my technical knowledge of the development lifecycle and it seemed as though they were looking for someone with extensive knowledge in that area, rather than just experience in completing projects.

Overall, I thought that the team at Point b was great and fair in their assessment of me through my interview. While I may not have had the skills they were looking for at the time, I had some good takeaways and areas I can focus on for future interviews.

Interview Questions

• In project management, what is the difference between an risk and an issue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Point B (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

My first interview was a phone screen. I'd been recommended by someone within the company so my background was already somewhat understood. After passing the phone screen stage, the real interview process began. Interview 1 was very conversational and was conducted over a lovely lunch. We chatted through my resume, talked about my cultural preferences, and fielded a few questions. Interview 2 was much tougher - the interviewer asked many situational questions that really dug into my PM knowledge. Each interviewer left plenty of time for me to ask questions and gave open and honest responses. Between interview two and three, I was asked to prepare a case study. This was a 1 page response to a brief prompt. Interview 3 questions revolved around this writing sample. Because the prompt was so brief, any response required many assumptions. The interviewer would sometimes ask how I would have changed my response if a particular assumption was tweaked. Lastly, interview 4 focused more on culture and how I could fit into the company's bigger picture. Each interview was conducted by a different person in the market, the final interview being with point b leadership. Because there are so many steps to this process, it can take a while. However, each interviewer asked how far along I was in interviews with other firms. When I did start getting offers from other companies, point b was really flexible and was able to adjust their schedules to make sure I completed the interview process with them around the same time, allowing me to make the most informed decision possible.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer explained a particular project, then asked given that project, what roles would I include in the Steering Committee?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Point B in March 2017.

Interview

After submitting my resume online via the Point B website, I was emailed by a recruiter with instructions on how to complete the initial video interview. This video interview was meant to take 20-30 min, but with app crashes, needing to work with IT support, and re-recording responses, I spent over 2 hours on this step. Give yourself lots of time and make sure you pay attention to your lighting, surroundings and sound quality.

After the video interview, the recruiter reached out to me via email and phone to discuss next steps. I found her to be very personable and nice to talk with, but my salary expectations/level of expertise did not match what they were looking for in my market.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your most recent project? What do you enjoy outside of work?   Answer Question

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thanks for your time to interview with us and for writing a review. We will reach out to our video screening vendor to address the crashing issue. I apologize for the challenges with completing this... More

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had previously interviewed with Point B during my MBA, though I did not receive an offer at that time. Despite the rejection, I came away even more excited about the firm; the interviewers were fair, thorough, and transparent. Although the rejection was a tough pill to swallow, it was clear the firm's people first perspective and focus on fit were more than just talk.

After roughly a year working for another consulting firm, I was invited to attend a Point B recruiting event. The evening was thoughtfully planned and provided an excellent opportunity to learn more about the company. There were many Point B'ers on hand, all friendly and eager to share their experiences.

Following the recruiting event, I was invited in for interviews. The conversation was a candid review of my resume and skills to date. There were no surprising questions, though some gaps in my experience became apparent. We had a frank conversation about how my prior work would map to engagements at Point B and the extent to which I would need to seek out development opportunities to close these gaps.

During a later conversation with the hiring manager, we talked openly about what life at Point B was like: mechanics of staffing, evolution of firm culture, development opportunities, and promotion expectations. I felt positively about the conversation and left with the assurance that I would hear within a week.

A few days later, I received a call with the details of my offer. I have now been at the firm nearly a year and could not be happier.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take a few minutes to walk the interviewer through my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Lengthiest interview process in the world ! I have interviewed even with Apple but even they did not have as many rounds as this company did.

If you dont have prior consulting experience then try to stay away because this could be a serious waste of time ..... !

They took 2 phone interviews, 1 90 minute very lengthy case presentation (which took me a week to prepare) on skype, 1 more on site interview of 90 minutes with 2 more case questions and then they called me to Seattle where they had me meet 6 different people...and then rejected me probably because some of the senior decision makers on the final day did not like me so much & cited the reason as me not having consulting experience....WOW !

You knew all along on the 15 days of mine which you gladly wasted that I dont have consulting experience. Almost felt like asking them to repay me for all those lost days. IF THE DECISION MAKERS DID NOT LIKE ME YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED ME TO INTERVIEW WITH THEM FIRST RATHER THAN TAKING ADVANTAGE OF AN INTERVIEW CANDIDATE LIKE THAT AND WASTING DAYS AND DAYS OF THEIR TIME !!!

Interview Questions

• One lenghty case study ( at least a week to prepare and present) several case questions throughout the interview process.....   Answer Question

Feb 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

First thank you for your feedback. Candidate experience is critically important to us at Point B. We consider every candidate an opportunity to grow our network and make friends of the firm. We... More

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I attended a recruiting event in Seattle where I learned more about the company's values, mission and work. After submitting my resume, I was contacted via email to schedule an initial phone screen. There were a total of four interviews after the phone screen, scheduled on two separate dates. All interviews were at the Point B office in Seattle. The first interview was with a member of the recruiting team and the second with an Associate. Most of the questions were behavioral, with two case study questions. The third and fourth interviews were scheduled a few days afterwards. The third interview was with the head of Development and consisted of behavioral questions along with one brief case study. The fourth interview was with a Senior Director, and included some culture-fit questions and detailed information about Point B's hiring process.

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in October 2018.

Interview

Started with a phone screen with a very friendly HR employee, then a preliminary in-person interview, followed by two interviews with the hiring director and a senior associate. They were communicative throughout the process and treated me well.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a team member that is running behind schedule for a client presentation?   Answer Question

Senior Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Poor and they lacked professionalism. I received a call and then didn't hear back for 3 weeks. The interviewer was weak. I asked a bunch of questions about the role and the company but he didn't seem to know much.

Interview Questions

Point B Response

Sep 27, 2016 – National Recruiting Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

A positive candidate experience, including ensuring candidates have the information they need to make the right decision, is very important to... More

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Started with a brief discussion with one of the employees who is talking as a recruiter. The salary mentioned was pretty low; I decided to go ahead because I had heard good things about the company. The first interviewer contacted me a few days later; and set up time with me the next week. For first few interviews, each interviewer meets in a coffee shop - they are really nice about taking care of your convenience also. However, the process is painfully long - because each interviewer takes their own time in scheduling - so think of it as a couple of weeks per interview- not exactly fast especially when they said they are in a hurry to hire. The people I spoke to were really nice - and loved being in the company - they had no plans of changing jobs ever. But all along I was a little doubtful if the projects would necessarily be exciting/ interesting/ challenging. Anyway - after a few rounds they said they don't want to proceed - and upon asking the feedback they said they were not sure if I had diversity in my career (I have only worked in high tech companies and not other verticals like healthcare, disney etc - where they work) - I found this explanation dissatisfactory because this was already made clear in my resume - and repeated many times during interviews.

Interview Questions

• The Senior business analyst questions were very much standard program manager type of questions. Most of it was based on - do you have an example when you did this or that. Standard components of a spec, agile process etc. The case studies were short and very easy also - very situation based - what would you do if you were short on time and spec is not complete, how would you find out if the spec is complete, there is a healthcare firm and they have an intake form process which is not working well, how would you know if its working well after the changes you made (with s/w etc) Hope this helps the other interviewers!   Answer Question