Point B Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Point B

3.2

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2013.

Interview

Great initial communication via their internal recruiters. I completed four in-person interviews. The initial two interviews were very casual over breakfast/lunch. The questions were more general related to understanding my background and skills. The third interview was a grilling with multiple case studies thrown at me verbally and on-demand responses expected of me. They also had me prepare in advance a one-page services approach proposal to a fictitious business scenario. They tore apart my response. I was limited to ONE PAGE! It's tough to get detailed process steps and deliverables in one page.

Interview Questions

• Case study: you have just won an engagement to assist a major airline to reduce their engineering and maintenance costs by 20%. How would you approach the engagement? Go!   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in August 2012.

Interview

A waste of time. The second interviewer arrived 30 mins late. Everyone I met kept saying that Point B was hiring '100' consultants. But none could comfortably explain their positioning vis-a-vis other consulting companies. Nor give good examples of their work. Overrated and empty. Interviewers lack depth.

Interview Questions

• Any challenges joining Point B ? (I found this question really vague. Never been asked such a question. Not sure what the interviewer was trying to get at. I felt he was trying to discourage than spark an interest in the company!)   Answer Question

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Portland, OR).

Interview

- Initial lunch meeting went well and peaked my interest.
    - Follow up meeting left me waiting (more than 15 minutes) for the Point B representative to arrive.

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

went through a series of interviews with senior associates. Point B uses a 4-6 week timeframe for completion of interview process. Did not make it to the next level of interviews because I wasn't a good fit for the organization.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about Point B?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

I was contacted my a recruiter who interviewed me via email. My qualifications matched beautifully, except that I did not work for one of the big four consulting companies, as this seems to be the Point B usual hire. I was contacted by a lady in the Point B HR area. She told me another Sr Associate would arrange to interview me. Over a week later I received an email from the interviewer and we arranged to meet for the following week. It took a long time just to set up one interview. At first he wanted me to come downtown in the middle of the day, and since I am currently working, that was hard for me to arrange on short notice. In the end we agreed to meet at a Stabucks near his train station in the western suburbs.
    The interview last almost 90 minutes, we reviewed my resume at a high level. He asked me some basic what would you do scenarios. I felt confident, and had done my research as I had several questions about Point B. to ask The company seems to sell themselves to burnt out consultants from the large four who are tired of traveling. My interviewer had only been with the company 1.5 years and he still seemed please he had made the transition as he has a young family and always traveling was getting more and more difficult.
    The Point B advantage is that all of their clients are here in the Chicago area, and even though you do have to travel onsite to the client office, you can always be home at night and sleep in your own bed. I really felt like I would hear from Point B for a second interview, but I never heard another word. I sent a thank you email to the interviewer the very next day, but the interviewer never emailed me again and the HR lady never emailed me again. I guess perhaps they could still be thinking about it, but it seemed pretty rude never to hear another word and it has been 3 weeks. I guess sending out a thanks but we are not interested email would be just too hard. In the end, I have been left hanging by Point B, but I feel as though that is best, since I really have a better job now, and going through the interview process made me realize that. I think if they had asked for a second interview I would have had to turn them down, but it never came to that.

Interview Questions

• I wish I could think of the most difficult question, but this first interview was pretty standard. The interviewer really did as much talking as I did telling me about Point B, the culture, the difference from what it was like working for the big four. I asked him if I were to be hired, was there any training time I would be expected to tag along with him, on his project? He seemed surprised by my question. His answer was no, I would basically be on my own, I am after all an experienced hired gun. I was fine with the response but he seemed surprised i had even asked that question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by previous colleague. Submitted resume to HR both online and by mail. Called about 30 days later. Interview set up - four in 2 days. No contact for about 2 weeks. Told they were not hiring now but may be soon. Called back within 24 hours asking when I could start. Took two more weeks for offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Describe the employment gaps that you are hiding on your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Submitted my resume in response to a job posting for the position. Quickly, I received a response that the resume had been received and several weeks later I received a response asking to schedule a phone interview with a recruiter. The phone interview was mostly focused on general appropriateness of job to interviewee: things like salary, previous work summary, etc. Then there was a follow up call with a senior HR person who reiterated some of the previous items and informed me I would be contacted for a set of in-person interviews with consulting staff. The first of these went very well, and questions focused on my background, digging into projects I had run, problems I had overcome, etc. The second, about 2 weeks later due to a scheduling mix up, focused on hypothetical business situations and specifically surrounding the details of the process of consulting to a client for selecting a new software package for a hypothetical client. While I felt I addressed the situation well, the interviewer made it clear that I had not, because I hadn't made a clear distinction between a "requirements" document and a "recommendation" document as separate deliverables. This person must have given the thumbs down because I was emailed that I was no longer considered for the position.

That said, the second in-person interview gave me the impression that the nature of the consulting position would not be the type of work I was looking for.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected thing was the critical nature of specifically stating the terms "requirements document" and "recommendation document" as separate and distinct deliverables. I covered the content of both requirements and recommendations in my response, but was told I had fallen short because I did not describe and name them as two distinct deliverables.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Chicago, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

Point B has a very structured interview process. All the interviewers take the process very seriously and were always well prepared and professional. The first two interviews were in casual settings. The last two were in the Chicago office. Be prepared to talk about all aspects of your professional careers, brush up on case interviews and career aspirations. Culture is very important for Point B and there will be a lot of behavioral questions to assess personality traits and mutual fit within the organization.

Interview Questions

• What will be the most challenging aspect of working for Point B?   1 Answer
    • What makes a good consultant?   Answer Question
    • How will you be evaluated by your peers, supervisor, direct reports?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Just be honest about your needs and expectations. Take the time to fully understand the unique compensation model.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B (San Francisco, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

I would stay away from this company with a long pole. There are a staff augmentation firm, their projects run for a few years a.k.a not true management consulting. If you are not billable for a month then you are forced to go on leave of absense. The consultants work out of their home and not a real collaborative environment. If you are not billable, they have a lower pay vs. when you are billable

- Not true management consulting
    - No office even though it's a 20+ people practice in SF Bay Area
    - You can do better as a independent consultant for your experience
    - Not a place where you can grow your career

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Point B in March 2016.

Interview

Very well structured and HR person moves you right along in the process. Everyone was very friendly and completely transparent. First was a call with HR, then a call with a senior associate to talk about fit type questions, and then the third was a call with another senior associate that was a bit more technical with a case. Case was very straightforward. I wasn't a good fit because not enough project management experience, but i will definitely be getting back to these guys once i get some more experience. Difficult for me because i didn't have the tangible experience so i could pull out any good examples.

Interview Questions

• HR tells you exactly what to expect, no surprises. key thing to remember is that Point B seems to be a project management shop, and i had more experience with implementation, making it a little bit more difficult for me to answer some of the questions that they had.   Answer Question