Point B Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Point B

3.2

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Point B (El Segundo, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Very good. I respect a company that takes a bit of time to send a candidate up the food chain to ensure they are a good fit. I had 5 different interviews with associates and managers. The final interview included case questions which I always find to be a good method.

Interview Questions

• How did I overcome adversity   1 Answer

I was currently working on a contract but Point B was great in letting me know I could come work for them when my contract was over.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Point B.

Interview

I applied online through a referral portal. Interview process took 2-3 weeks. After briefly chatting with a recruiter during the phone screen, I met with a consultant at a local establishment for a 1 hr interview. The consultant used a template to ask various questions about my background and to get a feel for cultural fit. After this first interview, the recruiter delivered the message over the phone that they wouldn't be moving forward.

The reasoning to not move forward made little/no sense to me, since the recruiter (or perhaps consultant) essentially made up the reason ("Even though you have skills in areas A and B, which we find appealing, we decided to not move forward because you want to continue down X path in your career"). This statement is not something I said (or eluded to) in my interview. Compared to the consultant that interviewed me, I've had considerable more experience and achievements in certain areas and found the project the consultant was currently engaged it to be quite bland.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the projects you've worked on/lead.   Answer Question
    • Have you delivered negative news/information to an executive and if so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a challenge/difficulty and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Point B.

Interview

The process overall is ok; all steps are clearly outlined and the recruiting team stays in touch with you throughout the process.

Is Point B a management consulting firm or a project leadership firm with a focus on the IT field? If you think like a management consultant throughout the interview process, you might have a problem because they are looking for a project leadership person.

The fact, that they aren’t 100% clear re. the work they do, and that it’s extremely hard to actually get some real-life examples out of the interviewers, makes it difficult.

Interviewers have been nice but aren't really good at interviewing people.

Be prepared for their writing sample. Is the writing sample about writing skills? Or about the way you approach the question? Should you add a graph or maybe not? Should it be a management consulting approach? Or a project leadership approach?

Point B will miss out on great talent if they don't adjust their process and be clear about what they are looking for. My interviewer, for example, told me he wasn't sure if I'd fit into his area or if another area would be a better fit -- I didn't even know my interview was for a specific area, otherwise I would have adjusted the way I handled it.

Interview Questions

• I know the writing sample is supposed to be 1 page only. Why didn't you add a graph?   Answer Question

Mar 16, 2015 – National Recruiting Director

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience interviewing with Point B.

We are a management consulting firm whose core is in project leadership. During the interview process... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Point B (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

A recruiter led me to interviewing with Point B which included a phone screening with their recruiting team and four in-person interviews.

Interviews focused heavily on case studies as you might expect in management consulting. I felt some of the interviews (of 4 total) were redundant and could be consolidated. There were logistics issues for their availability which dragged the process on unnecessarily. A writing sample is also required though it appeared was not read in much detail and was not discussed during the interview for which it was submitted.

Because the interviewers were geographically diverse it required a lot of driving across LA to meet with the team which I feel is actually valuable information for this process.

Interview Questions

• What deliverables would be required in a process improvement project?   Answer Question

Learning and Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in February 2018.

Interview

Started out with two phone interviews followed by two in-person interviews, all with different people. It was a lengthy process.

I was given constant communication about my status and they even tried whenever possible to update me by the end of the day on Friday if I was expecting information so I wouldn't have to spend the weekend in suspense.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially very sequential and smooth. Quickly became disorganized near the end. Asked for writing examples for emails, a sales pitch and a target list. No one ever bothered to read or review the first two, as for the list of targets (where I have projects and business contacts) was eventually snarkily described as "a list is just a list". This is where I was certain that I would never accept an offer nor recommend the firm to anyone. <eye roll>.

A fairly lengthy personality test that, again, no one reviews with you. I had also reached out to one of the exec's at the same time that I began a conversation with recruiting. He responded nicely, "let's talk!" That call eventually was scheduled, then promised to be rescheduled. Then nothing. At all. As the face of a company and it's chief brand ambassador, this was foolish. I may have not received an offer, but you've flawlessly minted another person in the consulting world that does not think highly of your firm. Speaking of consulting, I made mention frequently about how I appreciated their lines of business around strategy and project leadership. Only in reality they do mostly staff augmentation work and that wasn't what I wanted to be selling. Other reviews confirm this. My advice to anyone considering this firm is to think twice. Other firms are solving real world problems. These people are looking for people who think and act just like them.

Probably why no one has heard of them in 20 years of being in business.

Interview Questions

• We are super specific about our company culture. How are you going to fit into that?   2 Answers

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

We appreciate the time our candidates take to go through our interview process as it is a way to determine fit for both parties. Each of the inputs into the interview process (email samples, sales... More

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Denver, CO) in December 2009.

Interview

Point B is an exceptional company that really values their employees and customers. The interview process is involved because they want to make sure everyone coming in the door is a good fit, not just for the company, but for the candidate. To get an offer here, you have to be a real superstar -- college honor graduates, MBA's, and doctorates are the norm. Every person I've spoken with say this is hands-down the best company culture they''ve ever encountered and say they can't imagine working anywhere else.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your most successful engagement at Accenture.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume online and got an email that same day asking to follow up with the first step of the process which consisted in video recording my first interview. The platform (vidcruiter) worked on and off and I had to switch computers 3 times as I kept losing my audio. I had 1-3 minutes to answer most questions, with 5 to talk about my entire work experience.
    The recruiter wanted this back within a week, but started asking me to submit before the deadline was up. I got it in by the deadline, but then I didn't hear from the recruiter for 2 weeks, whereas the commitment from them was that I would hear back within 1 week. When I finally got an email response, she said she hadn't seen the video, but what the heck, let's schedule an interview anyway.
    During the phone screening she told me I didn't have the experience for the role that I applied for but there was another, completely different, that I could be a good fit for. Without giving me a chance to review the new job description, she started asking questions which I was not able to properly respond to as I didn't know what the position entailed. End of interview.
    Some days later, she called back wanting to have a quick conversation, and then she told me that I didn't have the consulting experience they wanted and needed. I stated that I had applied to another position that I was qualified for, but she said that I didn't have consulting experience for that either... that position did not list a requirement for consulting background so it felt like she was trying to get rid of me.
    Lastly, she said that I had some good stuff in my background and to come back later. Ok bye.

Interview Questions

• What is your approach to engaging stakeholders?   1 Answer

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value feedback within our culture and see it as an opportunity to get better. In general, we strive to make every candidate experience a... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in March 2014.

Interview

The phone screening/interview was extremely informal and the person was easy to talk to. Obtained a lot of information about Point B. Liked the fact that it was employee owned and emphasized work life balance

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Point B.

Interview

When I first discussed an opportunity with Point B I was very excited about their message. I was told we would move through the interview process quickly, that they had a very transparent process and the four interview process would be two Skype interviews and one onsite for interview three and four. Fast forward five and a half months and three phone interviews later and I received an email that we were not moving forward but I could sub-contract with them. First interview, I literally read my resume over the phone to the associate and then we were done. Second interview was nice, but was just a general conversation, nothing relevant to my skill set or work. Third interview I was asked to answer a question in a single page format. I was asked to explain how I would create a business case for a situation. First the associate criticized me that I did not create a business case, but explained how I would create one, which was the question. After we discussed that I answered the question that was asked she then told me I made spelling and grammar mistakes and asked how I felt about that. There were no mistakes, I politely answered that I must have missed those items and she told me Point B would never send something like that out to a client. There was not a mistake in that document, I reread it after the interview. It seems interview three is either an attempt to gauge how you take criticism or my interviewer was having a bad day. After that interview we never moved forward. Each step took over a month to move forward. I was surprised that their message at the beginning was so different from the negative experience I had through the process. Most of the interview times in the second and third were selling their culture, what made them different, how much people enjoyed their company and how their process was "different", portrayed as better. I never saw their interview process as different or better, I saw it as much less respectful to the interviewee. As to the culture and how much the people enjoy the company, I have no idea but seems odd that a company would have to spend so much time of the interview to push the company message so hard.

Interview Questions

• *We have been asked to help a small brewery located near a large city. Distribution is currently limited to the pub, but they would like to expand distribution into the metropolitan area. How would you design and develop the business case for this expansion?   Answer Question