Point B Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Point B Interview Questions

Interviews at Point B

3.3

Project Leadership Interview

Interview

Had a “Starbucks” interview a few months ago for a project leadership position. My first impression came from the interviewer changing the time because he had to “meet with a VP.” (I guess that was supposed to impress me?) I showed up a few minutes early, and he was already sitting down with a coffee. (Manners?) He had his laptop open during the interview – “I am going to take some notes” – but he was clearly doing something else at times. He had not looked at my resume. Early on he gave the bit about how they only hire 1% of candidates. (Maybe that just means a lot of candidates walk away.) He did not engage in the interview; he asked generic questions without drilling down into anything. On his LinkedIn page, he fancies himself as some kind of Super Consultant, but he could not offer any roles that he performed other than project management.

The guy was unprofessional and arrogant during the interview. He was not someone I would want to work with or someone I would hire. I have read good things about Point B, but cannot reconcile that with this interview. A friend suggested that this guy might by an anomaly, but this is who they chose to represent the company.

A downside of Point B’s interview process (one interview per round) is that you only meet one person in the first round, so the outcome is really a crap shoot for both sides.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Point B?   1 Answer

Jan 12, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for providing feedback on your interview experience. Your experience is the exact opposite of what we strive for and provides some very concrete examples for us to use in our interview... More

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Point B (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Point B has a staged interview process. I went through a few extra interviews as I was being hired for a new market (New England) so in all I believe I had touch-points with about 8 people from start to finish. My understanding is that the normal number of interviews is between 4-6 total. All of my interviews were 1-on-1. Some occurred over the phone, one over Skype video, and the rest in person either in the office or over a meal / coffee.

After the first discussions with the hiring team I had my first real interview at a cafe over coffee. The discussion was very casual and seemed to be more of a general fit interview (are we good for each other).

My second interview was a discussion over the phone and was a little more targeted to my experience. After this interview, I was asked to create a work product / writing sample. This was my first time creating something like this and I thought it was a great way to discover and prove skills.

My third interview focused on the writing sample I created and practice specific content, skills, and background (Operations and Process Improvement).

At this point, I was asked to travel to meet with a Senior Market Director, the Practice Director, and a Senior Associate. Interviews were held at the office and over lunch. One of the interviews included a case study and the others were more conversational / behavioral / experience based.

After this I had one more interview on the phone (which I believe was more like a check in).

I received my offer shortly after!

Overall experience was great. Even though I had a large quantity of interviews, I thought the process moved fast enough. People were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join Point B?   1 Answer

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Point B (Seattle, WA) in April 2019.

Interview

I began an application, put it on hold, received an e-mail asking me to complete, then immediately received an e-mail rejecting my application. Disappointed to see a question asking about dates of High School and College graduation. Whether intended or not, it is a way to determine an applicants age which should not be a significant factor in considering a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Asking about my age on the application, via required inputs on college and high school graduation dates.   1 Answer

Apr 25, 2019 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for providing feedback on your application experience. Point B is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion... More

Junior Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Point B in March 2019.

Interview

The interview process lasted almost 1 full month. It was a phone screen, a one on one, and then a two on one. I liked everyone who interviewed me, they seemed nice, bright, and professional.
    Since the process was quite in depth and lasted several weeks, it would have been nice to receive a tiny bit of reasoning as to why they chose to move forward with someone else- especially when receiving very positive and encouraging feedback during the interviews. Otherwise it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• What challenges do you think designers face in the industry currently?   Answer Question

Jun 12, 2019 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to interview and provide feedback on your experience. We strive for transparency in the interview process here at Point B. I’d like to ensure we take the right steps to... More

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Point B (Portland, OR) in February 2019.

Interview

Initially, I had a quick and friendly 20 minute phone screening with recruiter, another quick and friendly 30 minute call with HR. The next interview was in-person, a 1.5 hour interview with hiring manager, who asked pretty standard questions and was friendly and thorough. The last interview was another 1.5 hour in person interview with creative director. His questions were very tough, and one hypothetical client situation he gave me really stumped me. It was not like any project management situation I’ve been in, and I suggested it would be a decision for the whole team and or a strategist. I did not get an offer, and the feedback was that they wanted someone with more project management leadership.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a project that went sideways, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Point B.

Interview

Spoke with the recruiter several times before setting up an hourlong phone interview with a market analyst. Never heard back, even after sending two follow-up emails to the recruiter. Very disappointed with the uncharacteristic lack of communication.

Interview Questions

Point B Response

Apr 10, 2019 – National Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for providing feedback on your interview experience. Your experience is the opposite of what we strive for here at Point B. I'd like to ensure we take the right steps to provide feedback... More

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Point B in February 2010.

Interview

The interview process takes a long time because there is no central HR function so associates take on the recruiting function in addition to their consulting work. Follow-up in between interviews was not timely; on two occasions, my emails requesting the status of my candidature were not answered for over 5 days. Also got varying information re: direction the firm is going in and what skill set they are specifically looking for.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult. I received some case studies but they were not difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Point B in August 2010.

Interview

* Very systemmatic interview process
    * Interviewers were well prepared, professional, and followed interview guide -- really solid people who seemed to have healthy work/life balance
    * No offices, so met at coffee shops
    * Only interested in candidates who have previous Big 4 operational consulting experience
    * Included behaviorial interview questions as well as case study questions

Interview Questions

• Can you please describe a situation when you had to deliver bad news to a client?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of five interviews spaced over a number of weeks as the inteviewer had time available from consulting committments. The first one was a basic screening interview that took place at a Starbucks and mostly focused on Point B culture, the personal history of the interviewer, and a some basic background, interest, and value questions listed on a two page form.

The second interview was held 10 days later at another Starbucks with a more senior Point B consultant. It focused on my work history,consulting skills, personal expectations, and a fairly basic business case drawn from the interviewers current client assignment.

The third interview was held in a restaurant and included the basic fit and experience questions, a sharing of background and war stories, and a couple of fairly difficult business cases.

The fourth interview was held at the Point B office (a Regis Executive Office location); it was a confirmation interview with a perfunctory business case, and more sharing of personal interests, discussion of Point B culture and expectations. Immediately after, I met with the regional manager to discuss specifics of the job, Point B requirements and expectations, and a frank discussion of the postivies and negatives of hiring me.

A few days later I got a call from the regional manager telling me that my background, while impressive, didn't fit the Point B template well enough to make an offer. Throughout the process I was impressed by the people, appreciated their honesty and candor, and came away satisfied with the outcome.

Point B is in the business of suppling experienced consulting team managers to lead client team projects. They are the best bargain around for sophisticated users of consulting services, providing quality results at very low cost. Point B assignments usually involve one or at the most two consultant full time over a period of a few weeks to many months. Most Point B clients have several projects going at any given time.

Interview Questions

• I was initially surprised at the focus on life style and "family values" by all interviewers. However I soon realized that most Point B consultants are alumni of Accenture, Deloitte, or some other high-travel, competitive, work intensive firm Point B offers the chance to make reasonable money, rarely travel, and work locally (or at home) most of the time   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Point B.

Interview

Seems like an interesting company, but I did not get deep enough to learn more about the culture and what it would be like to work at Point B. I'm highly specialized in an area the firm focuses in which is why I pursued an opportunity with them. The gist I got is that they want to have their teams work across all sectors rather than be an expert in one. If you are looking to maintain your expertise in a particular sector, I would not recommend Point B as they consider that a negative in their hires.

Along these lines, in the first interview be careful about using terms that are common for the area you work in since the interviewer may be from a completely different vertical.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience working in other verticals? - Difficult since I had only worked in one.   Answer Question