Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Leadership Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Leadership Fellow Interview Questions

4.0

Leadership Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Interview

Rigorous interview process. Round 1 was a standard interview consisting primarily of scenario-based questions (Tell me about a time when...). There is very little give and take or conversation - you just answer the question and move on to the next. Round 2, Assessment Day, was a four-hour interview consisting of 4 parts. First, you had an interview with two former Leadership Fellows, again mostly scenario-based questions. Then you begin the case study exercise. You are given a folder of materials with an hour to read through and digest them. You then have an hour to present and discuss your findings with your interviews, followed by a writing exercise at the end.

Interview Questions

• The case study exercise assumes that your boss has been out for a week, and you have been filling in for them. Upon their return, you are asked to present all the major issues they missed (in order of priority) and make recommendations for how to resolve them.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (New York, NY).

Interview

Three-step interview process. First an initial application, then an interview with HR, then an involved interview process with current Fellows, former Fellows, and Port Authority managers. The third interview consists of an initial conversation with the program managers, then an interview with current managers about how you'd respond to hypothetical situations. This is followed by an exercise where you review a packet of documents, write a short memo, and then give a briefing on the documents and your conclusions to the same managers from your second interview. Downtime for conversations with current fellows exists between each stage.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle the situation if you were placed in charge of a group of employees with far more experience than you?   1 Answer

Leadership Fellow Interview

Interview

I had an interview over the phone due to my location, interviewer was very nice, and it was your basic interview questions i.e. strengths, weaknesses, talk about yourself, a time when you had to do something without approval etc, etc.

Interview Questions

• Everything was fairly expected   1 Answer

Distance/Relocation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

There are two interviews for the Leadership Fellowship. The first is a typical behavioral one, asking you about challenges you faced, examples of a time you showed leadership, etc. If you are selected for a second interview, you will take part in "Assessment Day," a 4-5 hour process that you go through with a few other candidates. You'll first have a panel interview similar to the first one. You'll then prepare for a scenario in which you'll be given a packet of information that you have to comb through in order to make recommendations to your "bosses," similar to what you might be asked to do at the Port Authority. You then will have do a writing exercise related to the scenario exercise. It is a long and draining experience, but you'll learn how much you really want the position, and get a taste of a day in the life will be like.

Interview Questions

• While presenting I was asked to switch gears a little and imagine I was talking to a community board instead, something which I hadn't prepared for.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Initial interview is strait forward filled with behavioral questions lasting approximately one hour. The second workshop interview is much more involved. Expect to be dedicate as much as five hours for the process. They do not give much guidelines for what to expect for this. Part one is a meeting with current Leadership Fellow and is conversational. Part two meet with two other higher ranking managers and it more traditional. Part three consists of two exam type questions that you are given an hour to answer with a calculator. Afterwards you are asked to present your findings to the interviewers. Finally a writing sample is taken as well.

Interview Questions

• Part three was unexpected and while not unreasonably difficult can present a major issue if one runs out of time.   1 Answer