Port of Seattle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Port of Seattle Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2017

2.9

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Port of Seattle.

Interview

Panel interview with 5 panel members. Interview lasted less than an hour. Questions printed on a sheet so you could follow along. Questions less focused on previous experience, more focused on how candidate works with others, problem solving abilities, etc.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a boss that was micro-manager? If so, how did you deal with it?   1 Answer

Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone screened with Port of Seattle strategy and planning staff leadership for planning manager position. Interviewers called 15 minutes later than planned for a 30 minute screen, were clearly in a rush, wouldn't accommodate interviewee's schedule, and didn't allow an opportunity for a different interview date/time. Questions were routine, otherwise.

Interview Questions

• - How in the past have you resolved conflict with people who were not direct reports but whose contributions were required for your work?
      - Have you read the port long-term plan?
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA).

Interview

First they described the work that an intern would be doing. Then they had a set of 7-11 questions that 2-4 people asked. Each interviewer took notes on each question answer. At the end they let me ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the Port of Seattle.   1 Answer

Veteran Fellow-Health and Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in SeaTac, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Port of Seattle (SeaTac, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

HR assistant called day after job posting closed to schedule interview for next day. Sat in with two people, HR lead and responsible for the Veterans Fellowship program and the Health and Safety Manager. Allotted time was 45 min. Panel had 9 questions alternating who asked and provided additional context throughout. They were required to write my answers down. Prior fellow informed me to ensure to use the STAR method when answering. Very comfortable and relaxed forum. HR lead stated I would get email notification of decision within one week. Manager stated I would primarily work in SEATAC and deal with occupational safety.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the Veterans Fellowship and what experience does you possess related to the position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you disagree with your employer and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you dealt with lock out tag out and confined spaces.   Answer Question
    • What is the most creative solution you have developed? Which Microsoft product are you familiar with and how often do you use them and for what?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you have maintain safety in previous experience. What do you hope to get out of this position when it concludes?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Port of Seattle.

Interview

I applied for the job through the online portal and got a call asking for an interview a few days after the closing date for the position. Since I was away at school, they offered to do a skype interview with me. 5 minutes before the interview, they sent me the list of questions they were going to ask. I interviewed with 3 people from their audit department and the HR recruiter. I got a call back with an offer 2 days later.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by two members of the team I would be working with and the head of human resources. The questions they asked me were fairly straightforward like what I was hoping to learn in the position and what I wanted to be doing five years down the road.

Interview Questions

• How would I compensate for my lack of technical skills?   Answer Question

Aviation Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online, was called a few weeks later by HR, and then did an interview two weeks later at Sea-Tac. The application was easy, and did not take long. You will have to pass a background check, so that you can get security clearances. My interview consisted of a manager and HR person. The interview lasted 30-45 minutes. They were very friendly in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work with a difficult coworker, and how you resolved the conflict.   Answer Question
    • Do you have your private pilot's license?   Answer Question
    • Define landslide, terminal, and airfield. What is the primary challenge in each area?   Answer Question
    • Describe your knowledge of aviation.   Answer Question

Airport Operations Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Port of Seattle in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR and set up a time and date for my on-site interview the following week. My interview board consisted of 5 members asking 12 questions. The panel was very interested in my resume and experience, and gave me insightful answers to my questions. They were very open and honest with me about the entire process and I was very pleased with the flow of the interview.

Interview Questions

• If selected for this position, what would be your action plan within the 1st 6 months in the role?   1 Answer

Port of Seattle Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Port of Seattle (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The Port of Seattle did not do a phone screen or phone interview. I was contacted by someone in HR about a month after I'd applied for an open position and she scheduled a phone interview with me for a date 3 weeks out. The interview was very straightforward and consisted of 45 minutes of what were basically STAR-type questions, 7 in all, with one being just a yes or no question. They related the questions more to the job posting and duties than most STAR interviews so it is important to be able to tie your experience to the job you would be doing. It was a panel interview with the hiring manager, HR, and two people from other groups. They recorded my answers for each question and did not really ask follow-up questions. After that, I had to do a 30 minute "test" which was done on a laptop in another room. I was contacted by HR a little less than 2 weeks after my interview with a job offer, which I ultimately did not accept. Of all the Seattle-area employers I've been speaking with, the Port of Seattle was by far the most professional and had the fastest turnaround, which really impressed me. The workspace is beautiful, everyone seemed engaged in their work and very friendly and sincere, and if the job had been a better fit it would have been fantastic.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain my experience in the field related directly to the job description. This could have been difficult for someone changing from another industry but with relevant experience.   Answer Question

The job wasn't quite the right fit for what I want to do in the future.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Port of Seattle (SeaTac, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Very quick hiring process, I was interviewed by a panel and they had a list of questions they had to get through. I heard back early next week and was scheduled for a telephone interview, then offered the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult personality you've had to deal with and how did you over come it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered $28 hr which was very reasonable, they said they were comfortable offering me more since I had so much experience in safety already.