Portland State University Interview Questions in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.5

Graduate Admissions Intake Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview and availability, time was confirmed the next day, and the interview was two days after that. Not only did I feel very underprepared, but phone interviews are really not my forte (and altogether not a great idea, in my opinion). Perhaps the office is too busy to take time for an in-person interview, but if the three interviewers were all available for a phone interview and I live in the area, it seems an in-person interview could have been arranged. Not to mention, since it was over the phone with three different people, I had to ask several times for questions to be repeated due to a lack of clarity/reception through the phone line. The actual questions were fairly difficult for an entry level position of its caliber.

Interview Questions

• What previous experience do you have and why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer
    • In which areas do you consider yourself to be a specialist, and how do you envision being able to utilize your expertise?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the biggest factor when selecting graduate school and program?   1 Answer
    • What is your understanding of the position?   Answer Question
    • What sources of information do you use to keep aware of problems in your department, and tell about a time you relied on those sources.   Answer Question
    • We all have occasions when we let things slip through the cracks; give an example of a time this happened to you and what came from it.   Answer Question
    • In what ways do you communicate with people, and how might you overcome difficulty communicating with people?   Answer Question
    • How did you develop a rapport with your coworkers and people from other departments? Give an example.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with five faculty members. Each faculty member asked at least one question. The interview lasted about an hour. However, it was difficult to keep all the voices straight.

Interview Questions

• Why Portland State University?   1 Answer
    • How would you approach community engagement?   1 Answer

Adjunct Business Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I reached out to the Accounting Department at the School of Business Administration. I was relocating to the Portland metro area and wanted to keep teaching accounting in post-secondary education. The department chair told me she might have a course I could teach and to come by her office to meet. She emailed me the adjunct faculty application and put me in the "bullpen". She emailed me in April with a course that she needed to cover. I'll be teaching at Portland State this fall.

Interview Questions

• How did I get into teaching.   1 Answer

TA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

It depends on professor. Some of them are really hard, while others are easy. The job duties are variable among professors and course. You might experience too loaded. Some professors are asking for grading homework and midterm. Some others may ask to set office hours. Some of them want you be in the class in every session.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR).

Interview

Speedy response time on my online application- I was contacted within two weeks of submission for an interview. The department manager was my contact through the interview process and she made everything extremely easy- scheduling interview times, providing directions to campus as well as keeping me up to date throughout the process. I went through 2 face to face interviews and was selected as the final candidate. The salary offer was lower than I expected, however my soon to be manager called me and candidly addressed my concern about the salary range. They were very transparent about the budget for the position. The only downside to the process was the turnaround time on the background checks which took about two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty standard for an admin position and included describing my transferable skills, handling disgruntled clients, multi tasking, communication skills and the ability to work autonomously.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I found the salary to be low however, they were very transparent about the budget for the position. I was offered the top salary based on my experience. The dept manager quickly addressed my concerns.

Systems Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2014.

Interview

The interview was in three stages, the first part of the interview was on the phone, the second interview was one on one, and the third interview was a panel, mainly it was behavioral, the interview was very tough, where do you see yourself in 5 years

Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in January 2014.

Interview

one accounting manager and several senior accountants interviewed me on the office. I answered total 10 questions in about half hour time period. They were super friendly, most questions are basic skill-oriented that will be useful during the work time

AV Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in September 2013.

Interview

Mandatory to send resume and cover letter through PSU career connect. I was emailed by the manager to schedule an interview. At the interview, you sit down with 2-3 managers and they go through a set of questions. Be prepared to demonstrate technical skills. Youll have to set up some equipment. I was emailed a few days later that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• You need to know three of your own weaknesses. And the technical skill demonstration.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in August 2013.

Interview

A simple seven or so question interview. When I interviewed there was my supervisor, and two student coordinators in the room with me around a small round table. The questions were applicable to the job and were trying to get at my past experiences and how that applies to tutoring.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you had a conflict with someone. What was the situation and what came from it?   Answer Question

Field Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in July 2013.

Interview

Behavioral interview process. Interviewed with the director, office admin, and project lead for the research unit I was applying to. They asked a series of questions about different academic and job specific instances.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you did not meet a work related deadline or goal   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you worked with a team   Answer Question