Portland State University Interview Questions in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

2.4

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Admissions Intake Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview and availability, time was confirmed the next day, and the interview was two days after that. Not only did I feel very underprepared, but phone interviews are really not my forte (and altogether not a great idea, in my opinion). Perhaps the office is too busy to take time for an in-person interview, but if the three interviewers were all available for a phone interview and I live in the area, it seems an in-person interview could have been arranged. Not to mention, since it was over the phone with three different people, I had to ask several times for questions to be repeated due to a lack of clarity/reception through the phone line. The actual questions were fairly difficult for an entry level position of its caliber.

Interview Questions

• What previous experience do you have and why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer
    • In which areas do you consider yourself to be a specialist, and how do you envision being able to utilize your expertise?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the biggest factor when selecting graduate school and program?   1 Answer
    • What is your understanding of the position?   Answer Question
    • What sources of information do you use to keep aware of problems in your department, and tell about a time you relied on those sources.   Answer Question
    • We all have occasions when we let things slip through the cracks; give an example of a time this happened to you and what came from it.   Answer Question
    • In what ways do you communicate with people, and how might you overcome difficulty communicating with people?   Answer Question
    • How did you develop a rapport with your coworkers and people from other departments? Give an example.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with five faculty members. Each faculty member asked at least one question. The interview lasted about an hour. However, it was difficult to keep all the voices straight.

Interview Questions

• Why Portland State University?   1 Answer
    • How would you approach community engagement?   1 Answer

Student Grounds Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

There was one in-person interview. They explained to me the nature of the work and asked couple of questions related to my interest in it and past grounds-keeping related experience.

Lab Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in August 2016.

Interview

They explained on the phone that it would be a group interview, but did not mention there would be five different supervisors asking questions, so that was a bit shocking and threw off my confidence in the beginning. Everyone was friendly and polite, and I took my time before answering the questions, so I was able to regain my balance, so to speak. I tried to be conversational, but it was more of a highly structured Q&A type of interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult decision. What was your thought process in coming to the decision you made?   Answer Question

Student Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview, in person interview, then meeting with executive director. Standard process and fairly easy. Interviewers asked simple and basic behavioral questions. Interview lasted about thirty minutes and they were all very kind.

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2016.

Interview

A lengthy process of phone interview, project, presentation, and several in-person interviews. After finally spending almost four hours interviewing, presenting, and meeting several people, I heard nothing. After waiting several weeks, I finally contacted them, twice, and was told that the person I interviewed with was no longer there and that I was not hired (which I had already guessed).

Admissions R Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

It was incredibly casual, and they basically want to make sure that you are a good personality fit. They want to make sure that you will get along with the team, and that you can be a quick learner.

Student Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

I sat down with two amzing people and ask qustions of me. This was in the office and made you feel very welcome. This took about 45 min to get done.

Adjunct Business Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

I reached out to the Accounting Department at the School of Business Administration. I was relocating to the Portland metro area and wanted to keep teaching accounting in post-secondary education. The department chair told me she might have a course I could teach and to come by her office to meet. She emailed me the adjunct faculty application and put me in the "bullpen". She emailed me in April with a course that she needed to cover. I'll be teaching at Portland State this fall.

Interview Questions

• How did I get into teaching.   1 Answer

TA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Portland State University (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

It depends on professor. Some of them are really hard, while others are easy. The job duties are variable among professors and course. You might experience too loaded. Some professors are asking for grading homework and midterm. Some others may ask to set office hours. Some of them want you be in the class in every session.