Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Interview Questions

Interviews at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard

2.3

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in February 2016.

Interview

I had to arrive to the shipyard a few hours early to go through security. I was then escorted around to two different locations to interview with two different branch heads. It was a pretty standard interview process and not too stressful.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kittery, ME

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (Kittery, ME).

Interview

Interviews are laid back, dont ask a lot of probing questions, I got the impression they rely very heavily on resume and transcripts.
    The hiring process was fairly dissatisfactory. They wanted to move me, but didnt know how that was done or how it would be paid for. There were benefits promises made, that exist at other facilities, but not at PNSY, and they never did (tuition reimbursement/ student loan assistance, for example)

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions with any interviews with this location. Almost all standard scripted questions anyone would ask   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for more money, they said absolutely not, and i needed a job so I took it anyway

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (Portsmouth, NH) in February 2017.

Interview

It was relaxed. It was a long day of different interviews for different job but there was no pressure it felt like. They even took me on top of the crane. The department basically just asked me about what they do at the shipyard. I asked what would you expect from me in three months.

Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kittery, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (Kittery, ME) in March 2011.

Interview

Strictly a personal interview. I was interviewed for three different positions, and absolutely no technical questions were asked. They gave me a tour of the facility, and I met with a working level engineer and a supervisor at each position. I also met with the chief engineer. They were more focused on letting me see the facility and whether I had any questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience in power engineering?   1 Answer
    • What sort of hobbies do you have? Did you grow up around here? Do you plan on staying in the area?   Answer Question

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kittery, ME

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (Kittery, ME) in November 2013.

Interview

The overall process is a very long one, however, getting to the on site interview is relatively quick and straight forward. Roughly a month between applying and getting the onsite interview with no phone screen. Be prepared to arrive on the base by 6:30 AM no matter where you are traveling from and expect the Pass office to be very busy at this time.
    If you applied to multiple positions and got multiple interviews they will ALL take place on the same day, so you may have a very very very long day or a relatively short one. I had 6 interviews that lasted from roughly 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Interviews are very basic and seemed to be way more for my benefit to decide which position I was interested in than about the managers deciding if they wanted to hire me.

After the interview process they wanted me to sign a "tentative contract" within 3 weeks of the interviews. Then you will need to get a medical exam done on the base and get your fingerprints taken. And then there is a background check where the government checks up on basically everything that has ever happened in your entire life. List names you trust and can rely on as they will send mail to the individuals you choose to represent you in the paperwork you fill out.

After all of this there should be a "Formal" offer of employment sent, but I'm still awaiting on my "trusted and reliable" representatives to finish my background check paperwork so I cant really speak any further to the process.

Interview Questions

• No technical or difficult problem solving questions. Basic behavioral questions about things on your resume or stuff from school   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for entry level, the government has set "grades" and they will offer you the highest grade for which you qualify.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process was very casual. It was roughly a 30 minute phone interview where they asked me questions about my resume and easy behavioral questions. At the end of the interview they told me about the positions they were representing.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your weaknesses?   1 Answer

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Interview

Arrived on base really early in order to get fingerprinted and assigned a day pass. Interviewed with four different departments. Interviews were pretty laid back, no difficult or technical questions. I just talked about the projects in school I have worked on. Each interview had several people involved so it was never just a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• Strengths/weakness. What do you like to do in your spare time.   Answer Question

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in February 2018.

Interview

Applied online, was then contacted for a phone interview that lasted roughly 30 minutes. None of the questions caught me off guard and the conversation was relatively causal. They also asked general questions regarding working on a submarine base like: are you afraid of tight spaces, are you afraid of heights, are you willing to work back shifts/ overtime.

Interview Questions

• What were one of your weaknesses?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.

Interview

Interview process was a pretty lengthy one. Took a fair amount of time just to get through security, then I interviewed for four different positions. This place was so huge, each position interview was like going to a different company. Overall a really cool experience, though. Got some really interesting tours of the shipyard and talked to some great people.

Interview Questions

• This was for an entry level position out of college so they didn't get real specific or technical.   Answer Question

I ended up pursuing entrepreneurship instead.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.

Interview

I got a call from someone in HR to set up a date to come on yard and interview. Got toured around briefly then had a pretty casual conversation with two branch heads discussing strengths and what I would be doing at the company.