Praxair Development Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

2.9

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Buffalo, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Dinner:
Manager will take you out for dinner the night before the "real" interview. Even though, they say it's not an interview, it definitely is. For the dinner, be prepared to answer many background related questions:
Why do you work on this project?
Why go to this school?
Why study your major?
...
AND you need to bring questions about the company as well.
Tip: show your interests in working in the company for long-term, at least 10 years.

Interview:
 You will give a seminar on the day of the interview related to your research topic. (A huge part of your interview will depend on this and you have to make sure its RELEVANT to the company's interests of expertise) Make sure you time it well. Then, there are going to be many 45-minute long interviews with various individuals. Some interviewer you may find laid-back and conversational, but what you need to keep in mind is that: this is only their style of interviewing, but they are still doing it as a job. So, be aware of many nuances. Also, you should treat all individuals you are interviewing as the SAME PERSON, because they discuss about you before each interview. The flow of questions tend to be consistent between interviewers.
EVERYONE WILL ASK YOU ONE BEHAVIOR QUESTION, SO BE PREPARED (strength, weakness, problem solving and so on).

Overall, the people are very nice and the interview process is VERY STANDARD AND PROFESSIONAL. They care a lot about what kind people they hire. (again, long-term commitment is important).
Show your interests in learning, but don't ask too many questions about promotion and career advancement. (I think it's a steady company for stable employment, but not for long-term career advancement -> more lateral movement than vertial movement)

Tour:
The day after the interview, you can get an area tour. It's Buffalo, what can I say more...

Overall, the company did a great job on its part to coordinate and structure the interview. So, you should be equally prepared and professional.

Retrospect:
I was TURNED DOWN about 2 weeks after. I don't know the exact reason, but I can think 3 possibilities:
   -The candidate they later interviewed was more suitable (for this you cannot control)
   -My research topic is not very relevant to jobs of the group (this rest on your presentation and how you tell your story)
   -I did not demonstrate enough long-term interests in working in the company (you should show your interests, but again, it's located by buffalo. If you come from a metro area, it's going to be difficult. Some say it's on the cusp of revitalization, but by the time it's really revitalized, you'll probably be too old for it)

Good luck

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Praxair

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Indeed. Mainly work experience from my resume. The people interviewing are extremely smart so it the best bet would be to be absolutely honest. Then mostly behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• How did you resolve customer conflict.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

One hour presentation and day long 1:1 sessions with the managers of the groups. Application was to one specific division in R&D. I was hired in as a specialist due to my research in the area they were looking to hire in which meant a higher initial offer. Overall the process was very similar to other companies. Prepare by giving a direct easy to follow presentation of the work you did and its impact.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Praxair (Buffalo, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Interviewed at Tonawanda. They asked me to give a presentation on my research topic. Day long process. The interviewers were very friendly and asked many behavioral questions. Mostly focussed on the topics listed in the resume. No information yet regarding offer.

Interview Questions

• Main questions were on the research projects that I had listed in my resume. Why did you use so and so method? What was the underlying reason behind choosing this university for pursuing graduate studies? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burr Ridge, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Praxair (Burr Ridge, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Very nice and professional format, technical seminar showing past work. Technical questions will come at the seminar. Behavioral questions STAR style in the one-on-one sessions. Took about a month after the interview to get offer.

Other opportunities in my area where equally challenging but there were financial discrepancies in the offers so I took the other one.

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

very good interview, meet a lot of smart guys, easy to be familiar with the group, they have plan to review candidate different kind of skills and personality in details.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Phone interview 30-40min. Received invitation to site interview within one week. Dinner with hiring manager the night before site interview which lasted for one whole day. Gave a 45 min presentation. Talked to 7-8 people for 45 min each person. Got final result in one week.

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

Campus interview, then on-site interview, which is pretty tough since have to make a 45 minutes talk and meet many individuals

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much to say, normal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Praxair (Buffalo, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Campus interview. General behavioral questions. Interview lasted for an hour.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when did not get along well with co-workers in your previous job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

First, I was selected for 1:1 interview and the interview questions were mostly based on my research work. Within 4 days I received invitation for site Visit & interview at the Praxair Technology Center in Tonawanda NY. I was given 2 weeks time for preparation. The day before onsite interview, Praxair personalities took me to a restaurant for dinner and discussed about Praxair's area of work. Interview day began with a short benefit introduction discussed by the HR persons. Then 6 persons interviewed me individually. each 45 minutes. Besides, I had to present my research work in-front of the interview panel. Overall the interview experience was very nice.