Praxair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Praxair (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

The interviewers are nice. I was talking to three managers in charge of the projects I will be working on. They asked about my research work listed on my resume. Most of the time, they are introducing their company. After the interview, I was given a lab tour.

Production Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Magna, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Magna, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Pretty long process between application and interview. Interview was conducted on-site which included general interview questions as well as some in depth fluid mechanics and machinery questions. Interviewers were operational superintendent and the plant manager. The interview was formal, but not entirely strict. The interview concluded with a tour of the plant by an operator.

Interview Questions

• Three strengths and weaknesses   Answer Question
    • Explain the relation between temperature and pressure   1 Answer
    • Describe what you would do if a pump breaker tripped open upon startup.   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a situation where an employee you worked with didn't get along with you.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever done something to cause damage to equipment? If so, how did you respond?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburg, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Pittsburg, CA).

Interview

Received a phone call from the Talent Acquisition Member of Praxair regarding a position I applied to about a few weeks back. Scheduled an in-person interview. I had gone to the plant in Pittsburg, CA and the first few people I had interacted with seemed rude with no professional behavior. However, I let that pass by. When I got inside the isolated office, I had to wait 20+ minutes for the interviewers only because they were too busy have cake for someone's retirement party. Talk about unprofessionalism and lack of respect for one's time. I was going to walk away within the next 5 minutes when the interviewers had called me in. The interview was OK in the sense that I was told to explain my interest, my background in more detail and then was given a brief tour of the facility. A third person later joined the interview and asked me chemistry related questions which I got right. I was told that I made the short list and that they get back to me 2 weeks later. Well, after writing thank you e-mails that I got no response from (no problem IMHO), I waited 3 weeks until I finally tried to get back in touch with the Praxair Talent Acquisition Member and even re-wrote e-mails to the managers expressing my interest. I was told by the Talent Acquisition personnel that the position was "on hold" and that they won't be filling this position. Talk about an extremely poor interview process.

Interview Questions

• Explain the process of gas characterization through GC and/or ICMS to meet customer demands?
      What is FIFO? Write down the combustion reaction of a hydrocarbon?
      Answer Question

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Buffalo, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Dinner:
    Manager will take you out for dinner the night before the "real" interview. Even though, they say it's not an interview, it definitely is. For the dinner, be prepared to answer many background related questions:
    Why do you work on this project?
    Why go to this school?
    Why study your major?
    ...
    AND you need to bring questions about the company as well.
    Tip: show your interests in working in the company for long-term, at least 10 years.

Interview:
     You will give a seminar on the day of the interview related to your research topic. (A huge part of your interview will depend on this and you have to make sure its RELEVANT to the company's interests of expertise) Make sure you time it well. Then, there are going to be many 45-minute long interviews with various individuals. Some interviewer you may find laid-back and conversational, but what you need to keep in mind is that: this is only their style of interviewing, but they are still doing it as a job. So, be aware of many nuances. Also, you should treat all individuals you are interviewing as the SAME PERSON, because they discuss about you before each interview. The flow of questions tend to be consistent between interviewers.
    EVERYONE WILL ASK YOU ONE BEHAVIOR QUESTION, SO BE PREPARED (strength, weakness, problem solving and so on).

Overall, the people are very nice and the interview process is VERY STANDARD AND PROFESSIONAL. They care a lot about what kind people they hire. (again, long-term commitment is important).
    Show your interests in learning, but don't ask too many questions about promotion and career advancement. (I think it's a steady company for stable employment, but not for long-term career advancement -> more lateral movement than vertial movement)

Tour:
    The day after the interview, you can get an area tour. It's Buffalo, what can I say more...

Overall, the company did a great job on its part to coordinate and structure the interview. So, you should be equally prepared and professional.

Retrospect:
    I was TURNED DOWN about 2 weeks after. I don't know the exact reason, but I can think 3 possibilities:
       -The candidate they later interviewed was more suitable (for this you cannot control)
       -My research topic is not very relevant to jobs of the group (this rest on your presentation and how you tell your story)
       -I did not demonstrate enough long-term interests in working in the company (you should show your interests, but again, it's located by buffalo. If you come from a metro area, it's going to be difficult. Some say it's on the cusp of revitalization, but by the time it's really revitalized, you'll probably be too old for it)

Good luck

Supplier Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Praxair (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

I received a phone call from a very rude secretary indicating that I was selected for an interview. Without giving me much time or option to choose my time slot, she scheduled for a next day phone interview. The phone interview went well and I was invited for an onsite interview and this is where everything started to fall apart. Although the questions were good, they were not appropriate. Even then I did not think it was much of a problem. The entire interview went well. The hiring manager even showed me the desk she had prepared for me. The problems started when Praxair, the multi-million dollar corporation, refused to reimburse my modest travel expenses. So much so that I had to escalate them to corporate office. Unfortunately, they also sent me a couple of emails indicating my reimbursement was in the mail and stopped corresponding. After this experience, I decided I did not want to work a company that cannot respect and fulfill it obligations. I withdrew my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Do you think someone with your engineering discipline can transition into this role?
      How would you investigate a problem? Walk me through it.
      Answer Question

Customer Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Livonia, MI) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a phone interview and in person interview.Both were laid back and really explained the position for which they were looking to hire and the expectations.It was nice to talk to higher ups in a company that actually took the time to explain the process and the position.

Interview Questions

• What different types of machinery did you work on while enlisted in the navy?   Answer Question

I was offered the job but ultimately declined after I did research on the cost of moving 40 minutes from where I currently lived.It seemed like a good opportunity but picking up and moving just wasn't financially feasible.

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Indeed. Mainly work experience from my resume. The people interviewing are extremely smart so it the best bet would be to be absolutely honest. Then mostly behavioral questions

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Praxair.

Interview

Very laid back team and friendly staff. Interview was a good mix between technical engineering related questions, personal questions and experience related questions. Overall a very pleasant interview process, the HR team is very responsive and accepting of any questions you may have. Seems like an excellent company to work for.

Interview Questions

• what is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrance, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Praxair (Torrance, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Called in for an interview, only the one lab manager was available as opposed to the two that the previous applicant received (he was just walking out as I walked in). I was asked to go through my resume, asked standard questions, and then given a short walk around of the testing and filling stations. I asked a few questions and it seemed to go reasonably well.

Mechanical R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Asked mostly about your experience from Resume and behavioural questions like "Describe the time you led a project". The first round is on-campus interview after which there will be a on-site where managers from each division interview you and decide which project you are most suitable for. Before on-site there will be a dinner with one of the managers the night before.