Praxair Interview Questions in Tonawanda, NY | Glassdoor

Praxair Interview Questions in Tonawanda, NY

Updated Mar 1, 2017

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Indeed. Mainly work experience from my resume. The people interviewing are extremely smart so it the best bet would be to be absolutely honest. Then mostly behavioral questions

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process for me as well as other interns was very easy. Our potentially future managers called us over the phone and gave us a 5-10 minute phone interview. Questions that were asked were very basic and simple, regarding our past experience and comfort level with much of the major topic that the specific work you may be doing covers. Very basic phone interview, nothing to worry about. I did however hear about a few interns who had to come in for a face to face interview, not sure how that went but everyone here is so friendly Im sure it wasn't bad at all!

Interview Questions

• Do you know how the cryogenic air separation process works?   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

One hour presentation and day long 1:1 sessions with the managers of the groups. Application was to one specific division in R&D. I was hired in as a specialist due to my research in the area they were looking to hire in which meant a higher initial offer. Overall the process was very similar to other companies. Prepare by giving a direct easy to follow presentation of the work you did and its impact.

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Campus recruit on September 2013, met with two technical staff in campus job fair. Followed up with a onsite interview one month later. The night before interview day, the associate director who I will work with have a dinner with me (Praxair has this great tradition). Causal conversation and very delicious food (do not order too cheap or too expensive food for yourself. check out the menu before you go to the restaurant). The associate director is a nice guy and he shown me the list of peoples I will meet tomorrow during my interview day and what their background, which I found out very helpful. In the meantime, show him some passion of the relative works, but do not say too much.

During onsite interview day, first I gave a one hour technical presentation from 8 AM and answer some questions from them (total 8 peoples in the meeting room). Then individual meeting with department director and two associate director (each of them for 45 min, rest 15 min)... Have lunch break with two technical fellows who will work with... Afternoon met with 3 more technical fellows and HR manager. Left the company around 5 PM.

Got the call from the associate director after one month later and confirmed the offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. A behavior question from HR manager, "How can you handle the disagreement raised from your audiences when you are presenting your works on stage?"
      2. A technical question from department director, "Please work me through the knowledge that inspires your accomplishment?"
      1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer is very good, no negotiation was made..

Program Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

The hiring manager called me to schedule an interview for a position that I didn't apply for initially. She came across my resume and thought I might be a better fit for the Program Development Manager role.
    The interview process was professional. Travel and accommodation were arranged well. Interview started with overview with hiring manager, followed by a series of 45-min sessions. Lunch in company-owned cafeteria.
    However, after a few days I received a rejection email from Praxair for the original position that I applied for. I was confused and wondering if I was turned down for the one I interviewed for, or the original one so that I could be considered for the latter.
    I emailed the HR representative that I met during my interview process. However, he was completely not responsive to my voice mail and email. This is totally different than what he said to me when we met face to face, that he was available any time if I had any question regarding the company or the position. I eventually realized that I wasn't being considered for either position and the HR representative simply didn't want to waste any time on me. This unpleasant and rather disappointing incident changed my prospective of Praxair and decided not to pursue any career opportunity with them.
    The hiring manager was nice enough to provide feedback upon my request afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What was my past experience working with end customer?   Answer Question

Logistics Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Had a pretty normal phone screening then invited on site for a long interview with 4 different logistics managers. They show you the software they use to plan and expect you to learn a little bit about it and then ask you to show them what you learned. Two of them were the west planning team and two of them were south. All in all a very enjoyable interview, everyone seemed to actually want to interview you. I received the offer but had to decline.

Interview Questions

• It was mostly general questions, why are you interested in praxair, why are you interested in logistics, tell me a time when you had to implement something that wasn't very popular. Behavioral questions.   Answer Question

I declined due to personal reasons and moving to Colorado. I would have accpeted under any other circumstances.

Commissioning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY).

Interview

Applied online. Resume reviewed by HR in Tonawanda, NY. Telephone interview with couple of managers followed. Then was asked to come in for a face to face interview at the office. Interviewed with several engineering managers over a period of 5 hours. Final interview with HR. Got the job!

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions are tricky. Be consistent in your answers. Situation given and was asked what would you do if you were to take a decision and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate pretty good since I already had a job offer from another company. Take advantage of multiple job offers and ask for "sign on bonus" and relocation package.

Project Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY).

Interview

The process overall was well structured. But too drawn out in terms of schedule. Thee was a gap of more than 3 months between the initial phone screen and the on site interview, and a further 4 weeks after the on site interview until I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• A difficult situation that you came across at former job(s) and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

Praxair was on campus. I talked with them at the job fair and submitted my resume. I was asked to sign up for an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was very different from other companies.

The first question I was asked to talk about something that was not on my resume. Since I was a PhD, we spoke a lot about my doctoral research and other research experiences (about 20-25 min). No behavioral questions at all. The last 10 minutes, we talked about football! It was a great interview. I got the impression that he was testing me on personality and fit in the organization, in addition to technical competency. It was a very genial atmosphere and a pleasant experience

I got an invitation for the on-site about a month after the on-campus. The night before, there was a dinner with two researchers. They weren't from the group I was interviewing with, which I thought was strange, but they both had worked with my hiring manager before. The interview day was long . Started at 8am. One on one interviews all morning, with others members of the group. Had a lab tour and then lunch. After lunch was my research presentation which was very well attended - by everyone from the Executive R&D Director to other R&D Directors. Lots of interruptions and questions.

Following the presentation, there were more interviews. Now with upper management. Most of the interviews were with multiple people - all Associate R&D Directors and above. This was sort of intimidating, but went well. The last interview was with the hiring manager.
    All interviews were a mix of behavioral and technical questions.

The day after the interview, they had arranged an area tour with a realtor.

I received an offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Technical: I was asked about some specifics on my topic of research and was asked to go to the white board and summarize a 10 minute talk that I had heard at a conference years ago!

Non-Technical: They wanted to see what kind of sense of humor I had
      Answer Question

Negotiation

It was the best offer I had. HR called me before sending me a formal offer and asked me what I wanted. They gave me everything I asked for.

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Praxair (Tonawanda, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

It was a long tough day. Eight people are scheduled to meet. Many behavioral questions were asked, for example, describe a case when there are different opinions in your group and how did you handle them, and what was the overcome. A seminar was given to mixed audience with tech and non-tech background people.

Interview Questions

• Give you half a million dollar, how will you keep doing your existing work to make further progress.   Answer Question