Premier Farnell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 9, 2016

2.8

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Premier Farnell (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Globally dispersed workforce. Hiring Manager was based out of Singapore, VP based in UK. Peers based in Chicago. Phone screens took place at varying times of the day due to the different continents where people were based.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were primarily based on my experience. Somewhat informal and easy.

I accepted role and learned later that they have very little, if any formal HR process to their interviewing of candidates so a person's experience is completely based on the experience of the interviewer and conducting the interview.
      Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Premier Farnell (Cleveland, OH) in October 2011.

Interview

Generally 2-3 interviews for most positions. Typical competency-based interview. Best way to prepare is to think of as many scenarios as possible from your previous work experiences and learn to articulate how you handled difficult situations. Demonstrate confidence in your skills and the ability to translate those skills into what is required for the position.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Premier Farnell (Chicago, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

I sent my CV and got a call from HR
    Interview with Head of Global operations
    Scheduled interview with HR
    Scheduled interview with a Senior manager
    Scheduled interview with Head of Global Operations again
    Scheduled interview with another Sr Manager
    I think the interview process takes way too long, PF need some major changes/improvement in their interviewing process/planning and organization, especially when hiring for an exec position.
    Great people to interview with but just the process needs some changes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your challenges managing a large off shore team   Answer Question

Key Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Premier Farnell (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

mostly about business development and sales oriented and they want to learn more about your background. And they also want you to say good things about their company and your plans to develop pthis business

Interview Questions

• no questions but you need to prepare a presentation   1 Answer

Product Author Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Premier Farnell (Leeds, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

HR organised interview with product author manager. Interview consisted of a component recognition test, simple excel test, test on product authoring and a general electronics test (I attempted this extra test, not required)
    1) Component recognition
    Components to recognise- through hole resistor(resistor value, power rating), axial electrolytic cap( value in farads, lead spacing, voltage rating), 10 way pin header(through hole, pin spacing, angle),
    D type connector (gold plated) used for port commincations, N type MOSFET TO package, voltage rating, used for high power switching)
    2) Excel test
    1. How to contatenate two words, 2. How to filter data, 3. How to sum and multiply data, 4. How to order or filter key words. 5. Fifth test was some search tool and was not attempted by anyone.
    3) Product authoring test
    Product specification for high powered industrial flood/spot light handheld torch needed to be summarised in key words, pick appropriate picture
    and choose key words for search engine, detail the differences in the variants of the torch family to clarify the price differences.
    4) General electronic understanding test(extra not required to do as most people find it difficult, apparently)
    1. Purpose and benefits of integrated circuits(IC)
    2. Purpose of opto-coupler and where it can be used.
    3. Name 5 SM packages
    4. If you offered a customer a 1% tolerance resistor for the same price of a 5%, would it be feasible and why?
    5. Describe ohms law
    6. A device that detects thermal inputs for controlling outputs, how would you design it for mass manufacture so it can be reconfigured for different outputs and why?
    7. Is a MOSFET voltage controlled or current controlled? its voltage, needs little current to switch the gate.
    8. What are differences between a power transistor compared to a normal signal bipolar transistor?

The whole process was very easy, my understanding was good yet the process was a waste of my time.
    They declined me for making a spelling mistake( failed on quality, apparently) and due to another candidate who scored better?!?! Was told there was 2 positions for hiring, one for the IC's and the other for connectors. I'm baffled.
    Was interviewed by one person the product author manager, he himself doesn't hold any qualification/degree in electronics or management.
    I know this because he's on linkedin and he told me that he's worked himself up. I wouldn't be surprised if someone with less qualifications is selected instead of me, who knows little about electronics.

Interview Questions

• What would be your ideal career? Tell me about your current/previous job experiences? Do you drive and if so how long does it take? Nothing difficult to answer or to be worried about in my opinion.   1 Answer

Ecommerce Interview

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Premier Farnell.

Interview

too many interviews - came back 6 times

Interview Questions

Negotiation

negotiation fast but HR slow to send the letter

Data Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Premier Farnell (Leeds, England (UK)) in July 2011.

Interview

Had three interviews. Mostly with the VP of IT at Leeds. what a joke. I didn't know much yet he knows less than me on project management, the president is even worse. GIS is run by idiots. If they were in my previous company they would be making he tea.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy, this is wha I want, take it or leave it. hate to think what the VP and President are on for being idiots.

Data Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Premier Farnell (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

i had total 3 rounds of interview.

Market Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Premier Farnell (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

I sent my CV and got a call from an affiliated recruitment agency
    Interview with line managers
    Scheduled interview with HR
    Scheduled interview with a Senior manager

Great people to interview with but just the process needs some changes.

Interview Questions

• Competency Based Question Intreview, all questions are unexpected but not difficult   Answer Question