Princeton Review SAT Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Princeton Review SAT Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Feb 12, 2017

2.8

SAT Teacher Interview

Interview

A short non-education related audition, then a qualifying quiz. Then, a 2-day group audition/training session. Before the 2-day session, you will be required to prepare certain sections in the workbook to teach the rest of the "class".

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Princeton Review

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Princeton Review (Irvine, CA).

Interview

The interview begins with a 7-8 minute 'lecture' given by the applicant of a topic of their choice. I think they're looking for reasonably extroverted teachers who include the class and are comfortable with teaching a group of high school students. In my interview experience the employee who conducted my interview was rather rude and made it seem as though I was wasting her time. I also felt she was treating me like a child or one of her students rather than a potential coworker. Additionally, they had us take an ACT test, (which was a surprise to me, and hurt my final chances of getting the job as I've never taken and am completely unfamiliar with the ACT, in particular the science portion). Throughout the process I was overall feeling quite put-off by the company and, what I perceived to be a lack of professionalism and class.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Princeton Review (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Had to do an audition for five mins in which I taught the subject of my choice. Then I had to take a mock SAT. Then we had to memorize the entire textbook in chunks over the course of teo weekends and reurgitate it in front of judges who criticized us if we werent following the script. Verrry tough and nerve wracking experience

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Princeton Review (Berkeley, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I contacted the Princeton Review about a Craigslist posting to proctor tests. They looked at my resume and asked if I would be interested in teaching instead/in addition. I said yes.

First, I had to go into the main office to teach a 10 minute lesson on a non-academic topic of my choosing. I ended up teaching for the office staff. They conferred for a few minutes after the audition and then told me I passed. The next step was taking a practice SAT lesson.

Then I was invited to a ~40 hour paid training to be an SAT teacher. The class taught how to do Princeton Review methods and involved teaching back 2-3 lessons each day to the rest of the trainee group. After the first half of the class, some people were cut, and some self-selected to leave. A few days after the full training, I was sent an email letting me know I had passed the training and was certified to teach.

Interview Questions

• The teachbacks during the trainings were rough because we had just learned in the material or had to piece it together from the manual/training videos. And often you never knew quite what you would be asked to teach, just the general section your questions would be pulled from.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, hourly rate seem fixed and they tell it to you before the training begins.

SAT Teacher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Princeton Review.

Interview

Initial meet up then you do a 5 minute presentation on a subject unrelated to academics. They are more interested in your ability to present than the substance itself.

Interview Questions

• Be calm and do not let the other presenters get the best of oyu.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

SAT Teachers Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Princeton Review (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Audition in front of other applicants with a fake lesson. Come up with the lesson yourself and show that you can present and engage a class. Typically everyone did how-to style lessons. The class of fellow teacher applicants played along and made it generally pleasant.

Interview Questions

• You make the questions - you're the teacher in the mock lesson   Answer Question

SAT Teacher Interview

Interview

First, a skills test was given. Next, a brief phone introduction took place. The representative talked about salary, next steps, basic job description, etc. The interview question was provided during this introduction. We were asked to teach a topic in approximately five to ten minutes. Communication with Princeton Review was curt.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Princeton Review (Berkeley, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I handed in my resume at a job fair, and got a follow up call from the hiring director. He gave me a brief phone screen, and then we scheduled an in-person audition. I also had to complete an online application. I drove to Berkeley and gave a 5 minute lecture, which they called an "audition" so they could see how I would teach one of their classes.

I got a follow-up email saying that I didn't demonstrate the necessary skills, but they would let my try again in another audition. I gave another audition in which I improved in one of the areas they needed, but not the other. They did not offer me a position as an SAT teacher, but they offered me a position as an SAT proctor, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The interview was primarily based on the teaching audition, not on questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton Review (Houston, TX).

Interview

They expect you to do an audition. Here's the rules:

"You will perform an audition in which you teach a prepared non-academic topic in a classroom setting for 3 to 5 minutes. Please choose a topic that you can teach from start to finish in that time. Successful audition topics from the past have included "How to steal a school mascot” and “How a refrigerator works." Please do NOT teach us "How to do origami" -- we've seen that topic once too often!

At the audition, we want you to be as energetic and interactive as possible. Your fellow applicants will serve as your students during your audition - get them involved. You will have a whiteboard and markers to use during your presentation and we encourage you to use them. Handouts and props are acceptable, but not required. PowerPoint presentations are NOT encouraged. Keep it simple and have fun with your lesson, but come prepared. Dress is casual."

It doesn't really matter what specifically you teach, just as long as you can show that you can lecture.

After that, you are supposed to take a qualifying quiz before you get hired and can start Teacher Training, but I never had to take such a quiz.

Interview Questions

• There's nothing particularly tricky or very specific. If you can submit your exam scores and can do an audition, you're basically hired. They really need teachers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. The contract said that the pay was fixed at $18.00 for teaching, either 10 or 12 dollars for proctoring (I forget which), and then training was about $8.10/hr for about 3 full days.

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Princeton Review (Riverside, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from the interviewer inviting me to a group interview. I could choose which date and time was suitable for me.

The group interview was a 5-10 presentation where you teach something to everyone there. It helps to use the whiteboard.
    Everyone who was there did a good job apparently because we were all told right there we would be moving on in the process.

I then had to take a full length SAT test and turn it in to be graded. I'm not sure what score you need to be offered a job but I got a 2010 out of 2400.

Then I was offered the job.