Princeton University Interview Questions in New Jersey | Glassdoor

2.8

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Venue Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

I applied online, naturally. Two weeks later I received an email to choose a time that would be suitable to do a thirty minute phone screening with an HR rep. Once I did that, I received an email later that afternoon to set up a second phone interview with my would-be Manager and the Deputy Director for the performance venues. A day or two after that second phone interview, both lasting around thirty minutes each, I received an invitation to come to campus to interview in person for more intensive discussions. I was told by the individual coordinating the whole affair that all travel and accommodations would be on my own dime, which was a red flag. I know budgets can be rigid, but if you cannot reimburse out-of-state candidates for gas and mileage, at the very least, you need to stick to local applicants or use Zoom video conferences for this process.

The actual interview was a day-long extravaganza, beginning at 8:30am. I had a brief discussion with the Venue Manager, which was pleasant. The first group of people I met with were absolutely wonderful, congenial, and seemed to enjoy what they did. This group was comprised of several Assistant Directors, and Managers. The next group was less attentive. This table was filled with employees from the production area of the department. One person barely looked up from their Mac book and only seemed awake when it was their turn to ask me a question. The third and final group was almost comical in terms of how it was structured, and included Managers and various Assistant/Associate Directors from IT, Building Services, and one Administrative Director who let me know how terribly that round of interviews had gone for me on their way out. This was something I found rather rude, and I kindly remarked that those questions presented all seemed repetitive, while thanking them for the feedback. But really? You do not need to be told that an interview did not go well. I was there, unlike the panel I was meeting with. Very generic interview questions that were all alarmingly similar. I got the impression that these people did not chat prior to sitting down with me that afternoon, or even worse, none of them were listening to what the other interviewers were asking. I am well aware that in lengthy interview processes, the questions can all start to sound similar, but this was ridiculous. Not to mention that the questions themselves are the results that pop up in a Google search of "interview questions." There was only interviewer who seemed to be cognizant of this and had a list of personalized questions more closely related to my experiences and the job in question.

Next came a brief sit down with the Director, who was quite amiable. Seemed excited to meet me at first, but I soon got the impression that this sunny disposition was not person specific, and not reserved for myself alone. This is not bad, as the world needs these kind of people. I can imagine this Director being wonderful for department morale.

Later I went to lunch with the Venue Manager and Deputy Director. Both continued to be very warm and welcoming, but I could not shake the sinking feeling that this job was not for me.

Lastly, I met with a Talent Acquisition Specialist. When it was my chance to ask questions, I was given no information. I naturally inquired about salary and when health benefits would begin if selected, and I received a blank stare. The salary range for this role was quite broad, and was discussed on the very first phone screening a month prior, but being invited to campus for a third round opens up the discussion for more specific questions and answers as they pertain to the candidate and the role in question. As kind as this person was, they were not prepared to say much besides how much they enjoyed Princeton and how long they had worked there. I had to email them later that day to remind them that I was still waiting and would very much appreciate an answer for my questions, as that info would ultimately be the gauge for my interest if an offer was to be extended.

I was thanked for my time, and was told I would hear back in the coming weeks. After a week of not being asked to provide the contact info for my references, I felt relieved.

All in all, it was not a bad experience. There were moments in the day that felt less enthusiastic or engaging than others, but still a nice interview process. It was that third panel of employees that seemed quite green. Come prepared and ask questions that relate to the candidate and the position itself. You were meeting with a potential full-time staff member, not a part-time work study. It did not reflect well on your departments, or the University at large.

The job I interviewed for probably changed someone's life, but would have been just another position for myself.

Interview Questions

• You already work at an Ivy League school. Why are you interested in Princeton?   1 Answer

Entrepreneurial Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haddonfield, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Princeton University (Haddonfield, NJ) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, with a recruitment official went very well; however, I suspected that the job would be given to a Princeton insider. The interviewer agreed I had a great background for the job, set out a timetable for a second phone interview, and then set up a schedule for a live interview. I reminded him, that I had not gone to Princeton University, and specifically asked if that limited my job chances. He said that it would not, but, a few weeks later, I received a rejection notice with no follow up...

Interview Questions

• Given your extensive qualifications and education, why do you want this position?   Answer Question

Staff Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

Met with several members of the HR department, some individually, some together with another staff member, after passing an initial phone interview. Some of the interviewers showed very thinly veiled disdain; I suppose it was not their particular choice to invite me for the in-person interview or they felt they had far better things to do. In another interview with two staff members, one very obviously zoned out, yawned(!), and showed a total lack of interest while his colleague took over to explain some things and while I talked. Is this on purpose? It certainly didn't seem like acting. While certain staff members showed professionalism and general cordiality, the rest left a very sour taste in my mouth for the university and had I been offered the position I seriously question whether I could have joined that environment. I do not anticipate seeking further opportunities at this institution.

Interview Questions

• Describe a success and a failure and what you learned from each.   Answer Question

Laboratory Safety Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

Applied through Princeton University hiring website. I was asked to interview at the main building for EHS. I met several of the staff, including the Managing Director, the Director of Laboratory Safety, and all of the Supervisors. They asked me several questions about my experience.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been involved in a laboratory safety incident?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in December 2015.

Interview

I have applied an IT position on University. It took 1 1/2 months to get phone interview with department manager. Another week to talk to HR personal to provide my personal information. Waits another 3 weeks to have face to face interview with hiring manager, was told this is 1st round interview. A full morning (3 hrs) talked with 7 people(managers) who comes from 4 different departments.
    I am lucky enough pass through and ready for 2nd round F2F interview, another 2 weeks waiting. To meet with 3 directors from different departments that I previous met with managers. Then, have lunch with other staffs/developers.
    After two round interview, I still wait for the result after one month. My friend who works in University told me that it is normal to take 3 months on hiring process.

To wait for this position and result of interview, I already turn down 2 other offers. Now, I think it is not worth, because I am not sure I can obtain this opening after 3 months waiting.

By the way, they will have background check before hiring, so not sure how long will be for that.

To who wants to apply position on University, I will suggest you apply when you still have other job, don't wait when you are unemployment, like me. If you got short term contract position, take it when you are waiting the answer from University. Most likely, you will finish your 4 months contact before you get reply from University.

Interview Questions

• Not much tech questions, but describe your previous experience.
      Why you want to apply this job?
      What is your next 5 years planning?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

"Screening" interview with Human Resources Dept. Questions weren't hard, pretty much as one would expect. The interview was entirely to learn more about me and provided no enlightenment about the position, although I said I'd like to know more. Information I was given during the interview about the hiring process has proven untrue. Was told they would hire someone within two to three weeks. It's now been seven weeks and no one's
    been hired. I've heard from all sorts of sources that Princeton University is inordinately slow to make hiring decisions, at least for non-academic positions, but I'm still surprised, given what I was told in this particular case. To stay sane, candidates shouldn't hold their breath and should pursue alternative employment aggressively.

Interview Questions

• Why are you qualified to perform this job?   1 Answer

Generic Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

When I traveled to Princeton for the day, I found the experience very easy. The HR group faciliated the day and schedule very well, the day went very smoothly, including my travel and accommodations. everyone was friendly and welcoming

Interview Questions

• What questions did I have for them   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Half day interview; met with multiple different parties for 1/2 hour blocks of time.

Interview itself wasn't bad - really got a good feel for the department and what would be required. The most challenging part was finding the building - signage was terrible and snow made it challenging.

The worst part was after the interview. I was explicitly told by an HR representative while I was there that either he or the potential supervisor would call me within the next week and a half - either way. I clarified to make sure I heard him correctly, and he confirmed. After over two weeks, I heard nothing, so I reached out to him via email - no response. I found out someone else got the position after over a month of checking my online application status, and seeing the position was full. Another two weeks after that, I received an email from an Admin Assistant, telling me that I did not get the job.

This was completely unprofessional. If you're not going to call, then don't say you will. Not responding to emails, especially with prospective staff recruits, is rude and has put a completely negative idea in my mind on the values of the institution if they treat prospective employees in this way. I'm okay with not getting the job, but not with being told I'll be contacted by phone, and then ignored.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

A junior staff member gave me a tour of the office. She was very nice and geared the tour towards the position's responsibilities. The interview followed with the senior staff. The questions were basic but detailed. The interview took about 60 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions such as "What would you do in certain situations." They wanted very detailed responses.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Resume sent online, phone call, brief chat, loooong 2 hour interview with Staffing HR, Department Manager, another manager, and 3 other Administrative Staff. Was pretty stuffy with HR and DM - but other staff more friendly. Got the feeling some tension within the team.

Interview Questions

• Not so difficult, but recurring question regarding "how do you handle difficult personalities?"
      A lot of "behavioral" type questions.   Answer Question