Princeton University Interview Questions in New Jersey | Glassdoor

2.5

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Venue Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

I applied online, naturally. Two weeks later I received an email to choose a time that would be suitable to do a thirty minute phone screening with an HR rep. Once I did that, I received an email later that afternoon to set up a second phone interview with my would-be Manager and the Deputy Director for the performance venues. A day or two after that second phone interview, both lasting around thirty minutes each, I received an invitation to come to campus to interview in person for more intensive discussions. I was told by the individual coordinating the whole affair that all travel and accommodations would be on my own dime, which was a red flag. I know budgets can be rigid, but if you cannot reimburse out-of-state candidates for gas and mileage, at the very least, you need to stick to local applicants or use Zoom video conferences for this process.

The actual interview was a day-long extravaganza, beginning at 8:30am. I had a brief discussion with the Venue Manager, which was pleasant. The first group of people I met with were absolutely wonderful, congenial, and seemed to enjoy what they did. This group was comprised of several Assistant Directors, and Managers. The next group was less attentive. This table was filled with employees from the production area of the department. One person barely looked up from their Mac book and only seemed awake when it was their turn to ask me a question. The third and final group was almost comical in terms of how it was structured, and included Managers and various Assistant/Associate Directors from IT, Building Services, and one Administrative Director who let me know how terribly that round of interviews had gone for me on their way out. This was something I found rather rude, and I kindly remarked that those questions presented all seemed repetitive, while thanking them for the feedback. But really? You do not need to be told that an interview did not go well. I was there, unlike the panel I was meeting with. Very generic interview questions that were all alarmingly similar. I got the impression that these people did not chat prior to sitting down with me that afternoon, or even worse, none of them were listening to what the other interviewers were asking. I am well aware that in lengthy interview processes, the questions can all start to sound similar, but this was ridiculous. Not to mention that the questions themselves are the results that pop up in a Google search of "interview questions." There was only interviewer who seemed to be cognizant of this and had a list of personalized questions more closely related to my experiences and the job in question.

Next came a brief sit down with the Director, who was quite amiable. Seemed excited to meet me at first, but I soon got the impression that this sunny disposition was not person specific, and not reserved for myself alone. This is not bad, as the world needs these kind of people. I can imagine this Director being wonderful for department morale.

Later I went to lunch with the Venue Manager and Deputy Director. Both continued to be very warm and welcoming, but I could not shake the sinking feeling that this job was not for me.

Lastly, I met with a Talent Acquisition Specialist. When it was my chance to ask questions, I was given no information. I naturally inquired about salary and when health benefits would begin if selected, and I received a blank stare. The salary range for this role was quite broad, and was discussed on the very first phone screening a month prior, but being invited to campus for a third round opens up the discussion for more specific questions and answers as they pertain to the candidate and the role in question. As kind as this person was, they were not prepared to say much besides how much they enjoyed Princeton and how long they had worked there. I had to email them later that day to remind them that I was still waiting and would very much appreciate an answer for my questions, as that info would ultimately be the gauge for my interest if an offer was to be extended.

I was thanked for my time, and was told I would hear back in the coming weeks. After a week of not being asked to provide the contact info for my references, I felt relieved.

All in all, it was not a bad experience. There were moments in the day that felt less enthusiastic or engaging than others, but still a nice interview process. It was that third panel of employees that seemed quite green. Come prepared and ask questions that relate to the candidate and the position itself. You were meeting with a potential full-time staff member, not a part-time work study. It did not reflect well on your departments, or the University at large.

The job I interviewed for probably changed someone's life, but would have been just another position for myself.

Interview Questions

• You already work at an Ivy League school. Why are you interested in Princeton?   1 Answer

PhD Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Interview with several faculty members one on one. They talked to me about my research experience and where I wanted to take my own work. They also described their work and solicited my thoughts on it.

Entrepreneurial Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haddonfield, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Princeton University (Haddonfield, NJ) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, with a recruitment official went very well; however, I suspected that the job would be given to a Princeton insider. The interviewer agreed I had a great background for the job, set out a timetable for a second phone interview, and then set up a schedule for a live interview. I reminded him, that I had not gone to Princeton University, and specifically asked if that limited my job chances. He said that it would not, but, a few weeks later, I received a rejection notice with no follow up...

Interview Questions

• Given your extensive qualifications and education, why do you want this position?   Answer Question

Office Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Phone interview, then entire morning of meetings. Met with an HR rep and then had 6 30-min. interviews with different people in the department. Also took an online MS Word test and an Excel test, as well as a writing and spelling test.

Staff Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

Met with several members of the HR department, some individually, some together with another staff member, after passing an initial phone interview. Some of the interviewers showed very thinly veiled disdain; I suppose it was not their particular choice to invite me for the in-person interview or they felt they had far better things to do. In another interview with two staff members, one very obviously zoned out, yawned(!), and showed a total lack of interest while his colleague took over to explain some things and while I talked. Is this on purpose? It certainly didn't seem like acting. While certain staff members showed professionalism and general cordiality, the rest left a very sour taste in my mouth for the university and had I been offered the position I seriously question whether I could have joined that environment. I do not anticipate seeking further opportunities at this institution.

Interview Questions

• Describe a success and a failure and what you learned from each.   Answer Question

Laboratory Safety Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

Applied through Princeton University hiring website. I was asked to interview at the main building for EHS. I met several of the staff, including the Managing Director, the Director of Laboratory Safety, and all of the Supervisors. They asked me several questions about my experience.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been involved in a laboratory safety incident?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in December 2015.

Interview

I have applied an IT position on University. It took 1 1/2 months to get phone interview with department manager. Another week to talk to HR personal to provide my personal information. Waits another 3 weeks to have face to face interview with hiring manager, was told this is 1st round interview. A full morning (3 hrs) talked with 7 people(managers) who comes from 4 different departments.
    I am lucky enough pass through and ready for 2nd round F2F interview, another 2 weeks waiting. To meet with 3 directors from different departments that I previous met with managers. Then, have lunch with other staffs/developers.
    After two round interview, I still wait for the result after one month. My friend who works in University told me that it is normal to take 3 months on hiring process.

To wait for this position and result of interview, I already turn down 2 other offers. Now, I think it is not worth, because I am not sure I can obtain this opening after 3 months waiting.

By the way, they will have background check before hiring, so not sure how long will be for that.

To who wants to apply position on University, I will suggest you apply when you still have other job, don't wait when you are unemployment, like me. If you got short term contract position, take it when you are waiting the answer from University. Most likely, you will finish your 4 months contact before you get reply from University.

Interview Questions

• Not much tech questions, but describe your previous experience.
      Why you want to apply this job?
      What is your next 5 years planning?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in December 2015.

Interview

I met a professor who I had contacted through email in person. We sat down once and chatted about his work. I I was doing research through a program which payed half of my stipend and expected Princeton to pay the other half. Since I came from a pretty prestigious university, it was pretty much assumed that I was qualified for the job. The interview was more of a get to know each other.

Interview Questions

• He asked me about what I wanted to get out of the research, logistics of the program I was doing research for, and what my interests were.   Answer Question

Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

In hindsight the interview was vague. It avoided committing to certain aspects of the job which therefore could be altered as they needed despite your life/needs. Be sure to be clear in what you can and cannot do/want. Bring a notepad to take notes and names to document. If you get the job do this for EVERY meeting

Interview Questions

• Do you think you're qualified for this job   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating!

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

Got in touch with a Professor who is recruiting. I was invited to give a talk (45min) on my graduate reseach. Talked with the members there. A week later, I was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• When I can start the job if offered.   1 Answer