Princeton University Interview Questions in New Jersey | Glassdoor

2.5

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Venue Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

I applied online, naturally. Two weeks later I received an email to choose a time that would be suitable to do a thirty minute phone screening with an HR rep. Once I did that, I received an email later that afternoon to set up a second phone interview with my would-be Manager and the Deputy Director for the performance venues. A day or two after that second phone interview, both lasting around thirty minutes each, I received an invitation to come to campus to interview in person for more intensive discussions. I was told by the individual coordinating the whole affair that all travel and accommodations would be on my own dime, which was a red flag. I know budgets can be rigid, but if you cannot reimburse out-of-state candidates for gas and mileage, at the very least, you need to stick to local applicants or use Zoom video conferences for this process.

The actual interview was a day-long extravaganza, beginning at 8:30am. I had a brief discussion with the Venue Manager, which was pleasant. The first group of people I met with were absolutely wonderful, congenial, and seemed to enjoy what they did. This group was comprised of several Assistant Directors, and Managers. The next group was less attentive. This table was filled with employees from the production area of the department. One person barely looked up from their Mac book and only seemed awake when it was their turn to ask me a question. The third and final group was almost comical in terms of how it was structured, and included Managers and various Assistant/Associate Directors from IT, Building Services, and one Administrative Director who let me know how terribly that round of interviews had gone for me on their way out. This was something I found rather rude, and I kindly remarked that those questions presented all seemed repetitive, while thanking them for the feedback. But really? You do not need to be told that an interview did not go well. I was there, unlike the panel I was meeting with. Very generic interview questions that were all alarmingly similar. I got the impression that these people did not chat prior to sitting down with me that afternoon, or even worse, none of them were listening to what the other interviewers were asking. I am well aware that in lengthy interview processes, the questions can all start to sound similar, but this was ridiculous. Not to mention that the questions themselves are the results that pop up in a Google search of "interview questions." There was only interviewer who seemed to be cognizant of this and had a list of personalized questions more closely related to my experiences and the job in question.

Next came a brief sit down with the Director, who was quite amiable. Seemed excited to meet me at first, but I soon got the impression that this sunny disposition was not person specific, and not reserved for myself alone. This is not bad, as the world needs these kind of people. I can imagine this Director being wonderful for department morale.

Later I went to lunch with the Venue Manager and Deputy Director. Both continued to be very warm and welcoming, but I could not shake the sinking feeling that this job was not for me.

Lastly, I met with a Talent Acquisition Specialist. When it was my chance to ask questions, I was given no information. I naturally inquired about salary and when health benefits would begin if selected, and I received a blank stare. The salary range for this role was quite broad, and was discussed on the very first phone screening a month prior, but being invited to campus for a third round opens up the discussion for more specific questions and answers as they pertain to the candidate and the role in question. As kind as this person was, they were not prepared to say much besides how much they enjoyed Princeton and how long they had worked there. I had to email them later that day to remind them that I was still waiting and would very much appreciate an answer for my questions, as that info would ultimately be the gauge for my interest if an offer was to be extended.

I was thanked for my time, and was told I would hear back in the coming weeks. After a week of not being asked to provide the contact info for my references, I felt relieved.

All in all, it was not a bad experience. There were moments in the day that felt less enthusiastic or engaging than others, but still a nice interview process. It was that third panel of employees that seemed quite green. Come prepared and ask questions that relate to the candidate and the position itself. You were meeting with a potential full-time staff member, not a part-time work study. It did not reflect well on your departments, or the University at large.

The job I interviewed for probably changed someone's life, but would have been just another position for myself.

Interview Questions

• You already work at an Ivy League school. Why are you interested in Princeton?   1 Answer

Laboratory Safety Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through Princeton University hiring website. I was asked to interview at the main building for EHS. I met several of the staff, including the Managing Director, the Director of Laboratory Safety, and all of the Supervisors. They asked me several questions about my experience.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been involved in a laboratory safety incident?   Answer Question

Entrepreneurial Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Haddonfield, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Princeton University (Haddonfield, NJ) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, with a recruitment official went very well; however, I suspected that the job would be given to a Princeton insider. The interviewer agreed I had a great background for the job, set out a timetable for a second phone interview, and then set up a schedule for a live interview. I reminded him, that I had not gone to Princeton University, and specifically asked if that limited my job chances. He said that it would not, but, a few weeks later, I received a rejection notice with no follow up...

Interview Questions

• Given your extensive qualifications and education, why do you want this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Interview with several faculty members one on one. They talked to me about my research experience and where I wanted to take my own work. They also described their work and solicited my thoughts on it.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview was during the phone call. Beforehand, the interview is scheduled with the targeted professors based on interests and background. After the phone interview, my profile was checked by graduate school and department

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

Got in touch with a Professor who is recruiting. I was invited to give a talk (45min) on my graduate reseach. Talked with the members there. A week later, I was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• When I can start the job if offered.   1 Answer

Office Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Phone interview, then entire morning of meetings. Met with an HR rep and then had 6 30-min. interviews with different people in the department. Also took an online MS Word test and an Excel test, as well as a writing and spelling test.

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in January 2012.

Interview

Lengthy application, interview was quick (one weekend). Mostly about touring the place rather than a rigorous interview. Mostly the interview weekend functions to screen out the wackos who look good on paper. Once you get the interview you are more or less in.

Student Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in December 2012.

Interview

It was a very brief and short test that I had to pass as a student manager. I was originally a captain in the crews. Then I was asked to do a shift and so I did. It went well as I remember

Interview Questions

• How long does it take to brew Coffee   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in October 2012.

Interview

There's just an online application. This application involves writing a personal statement, providing letters of recommendation, submitting all of your transcripts, and, finally, submitting your GRE and GRE Subject test scores.