Princeton University Interview Questions in Princeton, NJ | Glassdoor

2.5

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

PhD Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Interview with several faculty members one on one. They talked to me about my research experience and where I wanted to take my own work. They also described their work and solicited my thoughts on it.

Office Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Phone interview, then entire morning of meetings. Met with an HR rep and then had 6 30-min. interviews with different people in the department. Also took an online MS Word test and an Excel test, as well as a writing and spelling test.

Staff Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

Met with several members of the HR department, some individually, some together with another staff member, after passing an initial phone interview. Some of the interviewers showed very thinly veiled disdain; I suppose it was not their particular choice to invite me for the in-person interview or they felt they had far better things to do. In another interview with two staff members, one very obviously zoned out, yawned(!), and showed a total lack of interest while his colleague took over to explain some things and while I talked. Is this on purpose? It certainly didn't seem like acting. While certain staff members showed professionalism and general cordiality, the rest left a very sour taste in my mouth for the university and had I been offered the position I seriously question whether I could have joined that environment. I do not anticipate seeking further opportunities at this institution.

Interview Questions

• Describe a success and a failure and what you learned from each.   Answer Question

Laboratory Safety Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

Applied through Princeton University hiring website. I was asked to interview at the main building for EHS. I met several of the staff, including the Managing Director, the Director of Laboratory Safety, and all of the Supervisors. They asked me several questions about my experience.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been involved in a laboratory safety incident?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in December 2015.

Interview

I have applied an IT position on University. It took 1 1/2 months to get phone interview with department manager. Another week to talk to HR personal to provide my personal information. Waits another 3 weeks to have face to face interview with hiring manager, was told this is 1st round interview. A full morning (3 hrs) talked with 7 people(managers) who comes from 4 different departments.
    I am lucky enough pass through and ready for 2nd round F2F interview, another 2 weeks waiting. To meet with 3 directors from different departments that I previous met with managers. Then, have lunch with other staffs/developers.
    After two round interview, I still wait for the result after one month. My friend who works in University told me that it is normal to take 3 months on hiring process.

To wait for this position and result of interview, I already turn down 2 other offers. Now, I think it is not worth, because I am not sure I can obtain this opening after 3 months waiting.

By the way, they will have background check before hiring, so not sure how long will be for that.

To who wants to apply position on University, I will suggest you apply when you still have other job, don't wait when you are unemployment, like me. If you got short term contract position, take it when you are waiting the answer from University. Most likely, you will finish your 4 months contact before you get reply from University.

Interview Questions

• Not much tech questions, but describe your previous experience.
      Why you want to apply this job?
      What is your next 5 years planning?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in December 2015.

Interview

I met a professor who I had contacted through email in person. We sat down once and chatted about his work. I I was doing research through a program which payed half of my stipend and expected Princeton to pay the other half. Since I came from a pretty prestigious university, it was pretty much assumed that I was qualified for the job. The interview was more of a get to know each other.

Interview Questions

• He asked me about what I wanted to get out of the research, logistics of the program I was doing research for, and what my interests were.   Answer Question

Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

In hindsight the interview was vague. It avoided committing to certain aspects of the job which therefore could be altered as they needed despite your life/needs. Be sure to be clear in what you can and cannot do/want. Bring a notepad to take notes and names to document. If you get the job do this for EVERY meeting

Interview Questions

• Do you think you're qualified for this job   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating!

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

Got in touch with a Professor who is recruiting. I was invited to give a talk (45min) on my graduate reseach. Talked with the members there. A week later, I was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• When I can start the job if offered.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

"Screening" interview with Human Resources Dept. Questions weren't hard, pretty much as one would expect. The interview was entirely to learn more about me and provided no enlightenment about the position, although I said I'd like to know more. Information I was given during the interview about the hiring process has proven untrue. Was told they would hire someone within two to three weeks. It's now been seven weeks and no one's
    been hired. I've heard from all sorts of sources that Princeton University is inordinately slow to make hiring decisions, at least for non-academic positions, but I'm still surprised, given what I was told in this particular case. To stay sane, candidates shouldn't hold their breath and should pursue alternative employment aggressively.

Interview Questions

• Why are you qualified to perform this job?   1 Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Phone Interview followed by an interview with the hiring manager and a meeting with senior members of the team. For the most part it was informal and only included a brief whiteboard session.

Interview Questions

• Can integer factorization be done in polynomial time on a classical computer?   2 Answers