Principal Financial Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 21, 2017

2.8

Commercial Real Estate Extended Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group (Chapel Hill, NC) in November 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview with an HR rep that just asked about resume, behavioral questions and etc. She did ask questions about some of the technical skills I listed on my resume so make sure you can back it up if you say you have technical skills. Second round interview was two 30 min phone interviews with 4 people on each. Asked mostly behavior and experiences questions, a couple high-level valuation questions about Time Value of Money principles and etc.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about your understanding of TVM and the different valuation techniques you have familiarity with?   1 Answer

Investment Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Interview

One phone interview followed up by a in person interview. Didnt get the position but it seems like a very large selection process as Principal is a huge company. They ask you about yourself and to go over your resume and tell you about the position, just some basic things like that.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group (New York, NY).

Interview

A phone interview. It is fun to have this interview and the lady on the phone is so nice. She did not give you any pressure during the interview and help you go through the process.

Interview Questions

• During your career, have you ever improve or change your working environment?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group (Des Moines, IA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was pretty straightforward. No unexpected questions as it was strictly behavorial and not a single technical question. During the first round, it's a phone interview that discusses your resume and interests. In the final round, there are many behavioral questions that they expect you to answer thoroughly. As long as you can confidently answer each question with strong detail, you should be great.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example where you demonstrated leadership skills.   Answer Question

Investment Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group (Des Moines, IA) in October 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview and then an hour in-person interview. The phone interview was very basic, they just went over my resume and asked basic questions. The in person interview was mostly behavior based questions.

Interview Questions

• If you had 12 hours of work in an 8 hour workday, what would you do?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online around September 2016 and was called for an interview a month later. The interviews weren't very long. There were two 30 minute interviews for the second round.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you were involved in a coding group project.   Answer Question

Retirement Planning Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter who then set up an appointment for a different recruiter for me to do a phone screen. Phone interview with recruiter for 30 min. Walked through resume discussing roles at previous companies. Recruiter also went over role and comp expectation in more detail. Questions seemed fairly standard, nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you felt you made the most impact to an organization within in the first 6 months.   Answer Question

Senior Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

It was a telephone interview and the interviewer basically put the ball in my court by asking the usually anticipated questions. "Tell me about yourself", why would you like to work for us", why did you leave your last job? She allowed me to elaborate on the answers with little interruption.

Interview Questions

• Underwriting or Risk selection is a technical area, and so the interviewer attempted to test my knowledge by asking me to give an example of the selection process.   1 Answer

Business Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group (Des Moines, IA) in August 2016.

Interview

Make sure you have ALL of the following before you even apply. If you don't you are wasting your time.
    1. 4 year degree
    2. "Proficient" (meaning 10/10) with MS Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
    3. Typing skills of 45-55 wpm

If you don't have these, don't expect to get anywhere. Even a "processor" job which is nothing more than over glorified data entry putting numbers from a paper application into the computer system requires the above. Not sure why that requires PowerPoint but it does.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were pretty basic, what is your background, how does it apply to this position, are you interviewing anywhere else, who is it, and what part of the process are you at? They are very interested in finding out where else you may be looking because this city has a very very small talent pool. They want to know who they are up against, and what the chances are that you will get hired before they get around to deciiding if they want you for the next step. Hiring decisions seem to take about 2-3 months from the time you actually apply. Be prepared with a back up plan.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Principal Financial Group (Des Moines, IA) in August 2016.

Interview

Submitted app online, called me to set up over phone interview, then called back to do a face to face. Did face to face waiting for them to call or email to offer me the job. Lady on phone couldnt answer any of my questions as to what to expect for face to face interview.