Procter & Gamble R&D Researcher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Procter & Gamble R&D Researcher Interview Questions

3.3

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Potsdam, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Potsdam, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online 2 weeks before the recruiter came to campus, there were two online tests needed to be done before the processing to next stage, which was the first round of interview. I talked to the campus recruiter during the career fair and then I was informed by the school that I was selected to receive a Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• How you ever been in a situation when...   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Procter & Gamble

R&D Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Interview

Submitted resume through a university career fair and was asked to complete an online application as well. The online application included an assessment that was mostly about finding logical patterns in shapes, numbers, etc. Received a phone call a couple of weeks later about scheduling an interview. The interview was a pretty basic behavioral interview with general questions. The interviewer was a general recruiter, so she could not tell me much about the actual position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you faced a challenge and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

R&D Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Interview

Very long and difficult process. There was a lot of difficult questions but they are all manageable. They want you to define the process you took and the outcome of the process. Pretty straight forward.

Anonymous Employee in Bethel, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Bethel, CT) in December 2014.

Interview

Filled out initial application, completed online tests, two in-person interviews with R&D Director and Project Manager, Reasoning Exam, interview day consisting of many project discussions, meeting with HR, facilities tour, lunch, more project discussions, 90 minute interview with panel of 3.

Interview Questions

• A time you had to accomplish a task with limited resources.   Answer Question
    • A time you had an issue with someone of a different culture. How did you go on to work cohesively with him/her?   Answer Question
    • A time you used pop culture to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • All questions were listed on preceding 15 pages of interview experiences   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation is permitted by P&G. Discussed with HR on interview day. Starting salary is above average. After 6 months salary increase may be negotiated depending on performance and previous work experience.

R&D Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online. About two weeks after I submitted my application, I received a nongeneric email saying that they were were looking at my application. Two weeks after that I was contacted by the hiring manager, a PhD scientist, for setting up a phone interview. This person was really really nice throughout the process--in fact, I can't really think of anyone who wasn't. The phone interview went well, it was basically STAR questions. She told me that she was phone interviewing 12 other people as well, and only 3 would be brought in for day visits. Apparently I did well enough to be invited, which I was informed about a week later. I learned that I made the mistake of using "we did this/that" too much, when everything should be I, I, and me. I flew in to Cincinnati Airport 2 weeks after I found out, was picked up a car service and then driven to my hotel, which was pretty swanky. Everything was paid for beforehand, although you do have to setup the flights yourself. The hotel and the building where all the research happens were both in Mason, OH several miles outside of Cincinnati. There's no public transportation in Mason, so you'll definitely need a car if you end up working there, and that place seemed pretty isolated when I went.

Anyway, I got picked up the morning after my flight from my hotel and driven to the interview site, which is really nice and sleek--apparently everyone but top management and finance works there (they work in the buildings in Cincinnati). I had to check out of the hotel before I left and bring my luggage with me, which I was then to store in a closet for the duration of the interview. This was a bit weird as anyone with a key to the closet can walk in, which you get from the receptionist, so I felt hesitant leaving my bag with my computer there. I waited about 15 minutes for someone to come to get me--it was the Senior researcher who would show me around the lab/office and also later take me to lunch to the building cafeteria (great food btw, everything custom made for you). So the guy talked with me a bit, and led me to the cubicle of the hiring manager I spoke with. (Even the top people apparently have no offices. Everything is cubicle based, but they do have huddle rooms, which are rooms that anyone can take for meetings or privacy.) So the hiring manger took me into one of these rooms and started telling me about what they did there, and where in the whole production process she worked in. She was drawing all these flow charts on paper, which she then gave to me to keep--I wasn't very interested in this stuff and didn't see what it could do for me. But since she did all of the talking and I just sat there, I was fine. After this talk I was ushered into another huddle room, where I took the reasoning test they give all employees. It was like 65 minutes long with 35 multiple choice questions, 1/3 math, 1/3 reason and deduction (reading a passage and picking a reasonable conclusion), and 1/3 geospatial reasoning (finding similarities between shapes). This test was much harder than the practice test they let you take online beforehand.

After this came lunch with the senior researcher. He was a nice and cheery guy; it was basically chit chat about the company, with him doing most of the talking. He then took me through all the labs, which were pretty bland to be honest. The people working there kinda ignored me mostly, which I thought was odd. After this came the panel interview, with the original hiring manager, and two other PhDs. They again asked STAR questions, which had to with the company's values of mind, agility, and leadership--not sure. Basically they want to probe your personality here, so be confident and tell good stories. Don't say anything negative, about yourself or anyone. Consider what they hear when you say anything negative at all--just don't do it. They have sample questions somewhere on their website, This took an hour and I basically gave such garbage responses that I actually felt sorry that they had to sit there and listen to me. I wasn't feeling very well at all though, so it was either ramble incoherently or be silent. I basically knew I was toast at that point--they probably thought I had the personality of a rock, and I wouldn't blame them if they did. They were all still really nice, and they gave me their cards after the interview--I asked for them so I could sent them each thank you emails later on.

That really nice hiring manager walked me to the car taking me back to the airport that same day. I asked her when I'd find out the next steps and she said 2-3 weeks. I flew back home, and started to write the thank emails in next few days, but didn't even send one before I got an email from HR exactly 3 days afterwards telling me that I didn't make the cut.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to: analyze complex data sets; take a leadership position; resolve a conflict with someone else; apply knowledge from one field to another Also was asked why I was seeking this job instead of a PhD?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UC Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (UC Berkeley, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I got an invitation for interview after applying through campus recruiting. The questions were mainly behavioral questions that you can google on line. The format of the interview answers were expected to be STAR ( situation, action, result). The person who interview me was really nice and made it more like a conversation, which was comfortable for me. Definitely prepare some of the stories when you did well in your projects, lead a team, resolved conflicts, showed your creativity...

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you show creativity in a project or at work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Cincinnati, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

First met the recruiting team on campus and gave my resume to the person in charge of R&D recruiting. He told me to apply online, which I did. While applying online I had to take the reasoning test as well. A few days later, I was contacted via email by a P&G representant who informed me that they wanted to interview me on campus. About two weeks later, I interviewed on campus and it went well. At the end of interview, the lady told me if I passed, they would put my file in the system so that any recruiting manager could have access to it and then ivite for an on-site interview. About 4-5 months later I was contacted by someone from the HR department to setup an interview in Cincinnati, OH. I went to the site interview where I met people in the group and I was explqined the project they are working on. The interview took place at the end of the day and it was about 1hr with three managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to take a leadership position and what was the outcome of it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Lafayette, IN) in September 2014.

Interview

They introduced an interview method called CAR. This is:
    Context: First explain the surrounding context for which you were required to act upon.
    Action: Describe your actions to remedy the problem or to create new opportunities.
    Result: What was the outcome of your actions / how did the organization benefit?

The interviewer was nice, and also an alumni from my school where I was being interviewed, so that broke the ice. I was pretty nervous during the process and I think that may have had an effect on my interview outcome.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time were you and an fellow employee had a disagreement and how was it solved?   Answer Question

R&D Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Interview

I had a phone interview after submitting a resume during the school career fair. After the phone interview which asked several behavioural questions, I was invited for a day visit. This had a math test and also another interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you have to deliver results with limited resources. Come right out of school I had to faced this situation and so it was challenging to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unfortunately I did not negotiate. I wish I had.

R&D Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Interview

Interview process is a bit long. Can include two or more phone interviews, on site visit and some reasoning tests. Usual questions 'what would you do?' type questions during the interviews. The reasoning test is like an IQ test, you don't need to study for it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked in a group? What was your role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Competitive salaries and is great for recent grads