Procter & Gamble R&D Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Procter & Gamble R&D Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

The process focuses too much on what school you attended and "leadership" as though everyone aspires to be CEO. The screening questionnaire is designed not to assess people and give them a reasonable opportunity to show their value, but as "gotcha" questions with certain key words or phrases desired as answers.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a situation where you took leadership and solved a problem.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't one, but I learned that before I interviewed, they had already offered the job to someone else. That person declined their offer, so I was then offered.

Other Interview Reviews for Procter & Gamble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Cincinnati, OH) in September 2010.

Interview

Heard from them through an info session at my college. Applied online and took both tests. I was contacted by them the next day and was asked to be interviewed the following day. Interview lasted an hour.

Interview Questions

• basic questions like tell me about yourself, a time when you taught somebody something, etc.   Answer Question

R&D Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Interview

Applied Online. Requested detailed success story and cover letter. An online assessment was then performed where they judge your personality and reaction to various issue. From the size of the company, I expect that this is heavy pre-screening process orientated before short-listing candidates

R&D Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schwalbach am Taunus (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Schwalbach am Taunus (Germany)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online (reasoning and personality) for Scientist at R&D and recieved after 1.5 weeks an invitation via telephone for a day visit at Schwalbach. Three weeks after the telephone call I had my interview day. I was positively surprised that there were only 15 other applicants which all applied for other positions. I expected a huge amount of people which all apply for R&D. First I had to take the reasoning test and afterwards went to lunch with a colleague from R&D. This was great because the reasoning test was definitely harder than the example and online test. So I had the chance to calm down and after lunch I recieved the info that I passed the test and would move on with to interviews.
    As many before me reported I had three separate interviews (each 1 hour) with the behavioral and situational questions. All of my interview partners we really friendly and I felt comfortable although everything was held in English. After each interview I had the chance to ask questions.
    I got the contact details of one of my interview partners. After 2.5 weeks I recieved an offer and accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you did something that decreased cost or time.   Answer Question

R&D Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in None (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (None (Italy)).

Interview

Applied online, and filled out a questionnaire and logic reasoning tests. Two weeks later, I was contacted two weeks later for a phone interview by the Beauty R&D team of Procter and Gamble. The phone interview was composed of two parts. The first part was about my resume, and they asked me to just expand on what I did or about the different roles listed on my resume. The second part was more behavioral, and asked me about times in my life when something happened out of plan, and what my response was. So questions based on potential situations, and what you would do.

Then, I waited a week and a half until I heard back from them. They automatically reject you if you don't make the cut, so my interviewer said no news is good news, as far as Procter and Gamble is concerned. I then got an invite for an on-campus interview. I was flown out to Cincinnati, OH, and was treated nicely. When there, they presented for most of the day. The two "tests" were 1 interview, which was almost identical to the phone interview, and another logical test easier but longer than the one taken online. The group interview was with 2 people interviewing me.

I got an offer in the next 5 days.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your group member did not want to do something, and how you solved the situation. Did you feel like you forced your group member to take the same decision as you?   Answer Question

The salary was not high enough, given that I had to pay for housing and transportation as well. I had to pay out of my pocket to stay there.

R&D Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble in December 2013.

Interview

Interview consisted of competency questions based on company's recruiting blueprint, so prepare answers according to each!

Written tests were much the same as online tests taken before the interview which act as good practice. It is definitely worth finding practice forums online for pattern recognition and written comprehension so that you can nail the timing and have an idea of what to expect.

Definitely worth going to campus networking events as you are likely to meet the interviewers here!

R&D Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble in November 2013.

Interview

Started with CV screening, then group interview, followed by individual interview, then got job offer. During final individual interviews, my first bosses interviewed me. So it is also a mutual selection on people you would like to work with.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most passionate activity you are for in the university.   Answer Question
    • Describe your master research thesis in details.   Answer Question

R&D Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble.

Interview

1. On-line assessment
    2. Paper test (vocabulary/logic)
    3. Screening interview (nomally by functional manager)
    4. Comprehensive interview (normally by 3 managers, including one HR, one for other function)
    5. Final interview (normally by the manager two level up to make final call)

It is a very systematic interview process. Virtually everyone needs to get pass the first 2 steps before joining in. If you have contact/friend inside, #1 and #2 are still required.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about your career development plan
      2. What is your most difficult experience in your previous career and how you overcome that
      Answer Question

Scientist R&D Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2012.

Interview

I am a PhD student from a US university and wanted to relocate to Singapore. So applied online for this position. After a couple months I received an email from a HR in Singapore stating that one of her Managers were interested in my profile (I have 2 successful interns with the company, trust me, the company is on a hiring freeze, so the process is much delayed). Eventually, I had a phone interview with one of the higher technology managers. Most of the questions were based on personality assessment. [Note: Closely follow the tips on the P&G website for the interview. They are really very helpful. They might have already liked your technical background, so they will focus more on the personality based questions. But, they will surely try to pull out your expertise from the experiences they want you to share with them]. After a month I was asked to travel to their site for a presentation and a panel interview (in my case Cincinnati as I am in the States)

The night before the interview they will take you out for a dinner. Make sure you dont talk anything stupid. Consider that your assessment started already. During your interaction, if they see that spark in you. They will surely give you more tips for your big day. Trust me they are very very helpful. Frankly speaking they are already interested in you so they spend for your trip to Cincinnati. So, make sure you have a positive attitute and be what you are. I know you will be nervous, I was too. Hardly slept before my big day.

Presentation: ~ 30 mins long, last 20-30 mins - question hour. It is open to all the P&G members. So be careful when you are presenting. Make sure you have sound basics of what you are presenting. And get ready for some real grilling, similar to that of your PhD defense. All the audiance will get an evaluation form and will be given a chance to rate you.

Panel interview: In my case it was a panel of 3 people. Really big heads of the company were right across the table. Mangers were more focussed on the personality based questions and technologists were interested in my research work. Key points: They look at your passion towards innovation, they dont want people who reinvent the wheel. They are interested in people who can think differently (reapply technology). They encourage diverse work culture. They look for people who can handle conflict situations. Prepare for this question. Trust me you are gonna face it. When asked, share an experience how you could effectively work in teams and accomplish a task. They are not interested in Noble prize winners who cannot work well in teams.

After a couple weeks I heard from them about the offer. (they usually two weeks as they need to collect the evaluation forms from the presentation audiance and the panel).

They are really nice to you during the entire session of the interview.

One important point to mention: At the end of the interview you will be given a chance to ask questions.
    Make sure you do some home work to ask them. If there are too many, dont worry write them on a note pad and take it with you. They will love that you already started thinking about their buisness. Ask them general questions based on the trends you see in the market about their Buisness. As it is a consumer company, go to a near my WalMart or any other store to do some quick research on P&G brands and its competitors (focus on the brands that belong to the division of this job position. (For example: Olay products fall under Beauty Care division of P&G) Also through their website for all the info on the brands and under what division they fall under.

For 1st, 2nd and 3rd year PhD's:
    The key of getting into corporate gaints like P&G is to set your foot as an intern. Interns are their biggest pipeline. This is the best way to know more about the company and in turn the company learns about your work style and ethics. If they identify the qualites in you that match the values of P&G. They will love you and do their best to get you in.

Hope this is helpful!!
    I am glad to be a part of the P&G family!
    You too can surely be.

Good luck with your hiring process.

Interview Questions

• You are exposed to work culture in the States and willing to relocate to Singapore?
      How will you manage to sink in to a new culture?
      Answer Question
    • How would you handle a conflict situation?   1 Answer
    • Tell us a time when you had to think out of the box?   1 Answer

R&D Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I interviewed at Procter & Gamble (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2012.

Interview

Submit application online, followed by 1st interview and 2nd interview then job offer. More information on the recruitment process can be found from P&G's website.
    Interviewed by one group manager and one senior scientist.
    Questions asked include competency-based questions and personal particular questions. Majority of the questions are competency-based. A total of 10 competency-based questions were asked. The senior scientist took down some of my response in a notebook. They have a checklists again all the questions they asked.
    The interview process takes about 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• How do you solve conflicts with colleagues? Give me an example that you have successfully solve the conflicts to achieve project goals by describing the scenario, discussing actions taken and evaluating the results of your action to the overall project deliverables..   Answer Question