Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.1

1. Featured Interview

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albertville, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company (Albertville, AL) in April 2017.

Interview

Very relaxed and informal. I met the Manager and was given a tour of the Operation Center. I was introduced to some of the people on the team I would work with if hired. We then went to the managers office and he looked over my application and asked me a few questions about my skill set. He made it extremely easy. It was like I was just talking to an old friend. I didn't feel nervous like I have in other interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in IT?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company.

Interview

I met with a co-worker and hiring manager. They needed a person with my skillset and was hired in two days. I really enjoyed the interview and people I met.

Interview Questions

• If I was capable of handing projects and working with other.   Answer Question

Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company.

Interview

The interview process was no nonsense and straight forward. They asked typical interview questions, and later turned into a conversational affair. After the interview, I was shown around and met many of the people I would work with.

Supply Chain Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sherman, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company (Sherman, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

phone with screen with HR (impressed) ; week later - phone screen with Supply Chain Director (again impressed and would get back). checked back each week for a month, odd for a position they wanted to "move fast on because it was critical to the business" . After 3 months not even so much as a phone call. Found out later the position had been vacant for 6+ months and they were dragging out the backfill to save money at the expense of the current employees.

Interview Questions

• Explain your involvement in and knowledge of the rail industry   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company.

Interview

I was brought in without an interview as a temp. based on education and previous experience. I did not have to interview when offered the full time position since I had worked directly for the hiring manager.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company.

Interview

I was interviewed by the manager of my department and HR. Hiring has to go through corporate after a canditate is chosen. Its a long process. Drug screenings, a lot of paperwork, and background checks are needed before you are allowed to start. Process from start to finish was about 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions asked, best thing to do is prepare yourself with answers in advance   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Carman IV Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company.

Interview

This interview was conducted by the Local manager and HR rep separately. It was a very traditional interview with the usual basic question and answer format. Be prepared to have at least one example of being safety conscious and what would you do if in a certain bad safety situation.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to explain how you would handle safety related incidents.   Answer Question

Negotiation

NONE flat starting rate of $13.10 take it or leave it.

Signal Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hudson, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company (Hudson, WI) in February 2013.

Interview

It was only a couple hours, part with HR just describing the benefits and the other part was with a panel of 5. The panel was all very friendly, none of the questions were overly difficult or technical, they just wanted to hear that you are willing to work hard, will pay attention to detail, and are willing to go above and beyond.

Human Resources Data Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company in September 2010.

Interview

1st interview was about an hour long. I was interviewed by two people for about 30 minutes. I was asked to come back the following week. They told me that they had chosen me and one other candidate to interview once more. I was interviewed again and asked about my Peoplesoft skills. I was then taken to one of the manager's office and talked with him for a bit. Then, I was brought into a large room where several ladies worked (and would be my coworkers). Met with them for a bit and they showed me a few things that they did. I left and several days later they told me that they had decided on another candidate because I had a teaching background and they were afraid I would leave because I had went to school to become a teacher. About a month later, they called me back again to see if I might be interested in another interview. I declined.

Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progress Rail, A Caterpillar Company in June 2011.

Interview

HR person was pleasant and professional at all times, 2 of the 3 members of the panel were over 45 minutes late to the interview and all they ever said when they got there is "Are you a team player?" Drug test, physical and background check were routine and as standard as they are for any typical job. Position and current status of the role was misrepresented and oversold.

Perpective candidates: ask A LOT of questions. Ask for a JOB DESCRIPTION, ask for expectations of the role...and make sure EVERYONE answers you.