Progressive Insurance Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Interview Questions in Austin, TX

Updated Apr 16, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX).

Interview

The application is completed online through Taleo. If the application matches the desired skills or background, an email will be sent asking the applicant to complete a personality and skills assessment, also online.

Once this has been completed and the answers deemed acceptable, an email will be received inviting the applicant to select a time for a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview, if the recruiter is pleased, a request for a background check and an in-person on-site interview will be extended. At the end of the in-person interview, the applicant will be informed that s/he will hear from the recruiter.

Apparently only those lucky enough to actually receive an offer ever hear from the recruiter, though. Even after several email and voicemail follow ups, I did not hear back. One would think that as much as "follow through" is emphasized with this company, the least that could be done for applicants who have made it to the final interview stage would be a short email saying, "Thanks, but no thanks." I add this only because this seems to have happened to several other applicants who have also posted reviews on here.

ALL interview questions are STAR based and doing some basic research on the method will provide more than enough information on the questions to expect. Also, they have some posted on their website that use.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Online application; Online assessment that gauged both critical thinking as well as opinion based answers. Phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. Questions were basic STAR format questions. Was told I would hear back either way via email within a week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were overwhelmed and how you handled it   Answer Question

Call Center Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Scheduled phone interview that lasts 30 minutes to an hour. An interviewer asking pretty standard questions about your CS background, current and former job roles, and commute time. Once I told the interviewer I was an hour outside the call center the interview was essentially over. Everything before that was excellent. If you have a long commute I suggest withholding that detail.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

an online application followed by assessments to determine simple critical thinking skills/basic understanding of the ability to follow instructions, followed by a phone interview. Than an in person interview with the department lead.

Interview Questions

• About mistakes I made and how I learned from them   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Filled out application online. The next day I received an email inviting me to take a test. Shortly after that, I received another email asking to schedule a phone interview. My interviewer seemed like she was not feeling well or something to that effect, and while I kept my usual friendly demeanor she would respond almost annoyed. She was not receptive to any conversation that was not her asking questions, so I allowed her to steer the conversation to not bother her. I didn't let that get to me, I just answered the questions confidently. At the end of the call she told me that I would know by the end of the week either way. I knew she would not recommend me for the in person, however it took several weeks for me to find out officially. I only found out by checking back on the website daily. I have never interviewed for something to end up not getting the position I am applying for, because I have strong work history and references. I usually only apply for 2 or 3 jobs because I will end up with too many offers otherwise. I think had I been speaking with another interviewer, I would have moved forward. The questions were very standard and easy, and I had done some research on the company as I read other people's reviews on Progressive's hiring process. Doesn't seem like a bad place to work for, but getting in is clearly a long and hard process. If you aren't in a rush to get hired, it is worth a shot. Would probably try again if I needed to in the future.

Interview Questions

• What part of your previous job did you dislike the most?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I put in the application early July 2016, a day or so later I received the assessment to take online. I took that and again, a day or so later I received confirmation that my scores qualified me for a phone interview. I set it up for about 3-4 days out to allow myself time to prep as I knew the hiring process was formidable after researching past interviews with the company and I wanted to be prepared. My phone interview day rolled around and it lasted for about an hour. The recruiter asked about 3 STAR method questions (THE METHOD THAT IS USED AND ALOT OF TIMES JOB SEEKERS DON'T TAKE TIME TO RESEARCH IT...DO YOUR RESEARCH PLEASE) and a few other questions related to past employment. At the end she told me she was recommending me for the next steps. I received my email to complete the additional info in the app as well as consent to the background check. While doing so, I received a call to set up my on-site interview. Again, I set this for abut 3 days out to allow myself further preperation time. Once my interview day came, I was nervous yet confident. And it showed throughout the process. I did my due diligence and researched the company thoroughly as well as wrote out numerous amounts of STAR method question and answers as it related to me. If you want something bad enough you'll put in the work and that's what I did. I'll be starting on Sept. 19th of 2016. My original start date for Aug. 22nd is full unfortunately but that's ok. I'm Uber excited because we all know getting hired here is super complex. Good luck everyone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a customer and no matter what you did, you were unable to assist in the end?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Once I was offered the position officially. The pay was outstanding but I still wanted to negotiate because I researched and most companies leave room for negotiations but majority of the time it never takes place. I only had a little wiggle room so the recruiter stated but my request was granted. They have metrics they go off when determining your starting pay which I think are fair. You never know if you qualify for more if you don't ask, so try it!

Claims Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process begins with a standard online application/resume submission. After that you receive a basic problem solving quiz and personality test via email. It was about 5 days after application submission that I received the tests. Pretty simple stuff. Basically can you read a graph and do some simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The personality test is the standard 1 to 5 strongly agree, strongly disagree with whatever circumstance (i.e. "You have a hard time working on a project in a group." 1 strongly disagree, 5 strongly agree). Within a week of completing the tests I received an email saying that they were moving forward with the interview process and I could schedule a time for a phone interview. They also recommended I research the STAR interview technique, which I did. The phone interviewer was SUPER nice and allowed the interview to be very casual which was amazing. She asked all the typical STAR questions for customer service. "Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled it"
    Towards the end of the phone interview she told me that she was gonna recommend me for an on-sight face to face interview. She just said that a background check had to be completed before that and then I could schedule a time for the face to face interview. The background check application is more detailed than the application for the job and the hearing back from them takes around a week. I recommend you do this the day of your phone interview as soon as you get the email. It was the biggest pain in the whole process. Week after phone interview received an email saying I had passed the background check and could schedule an on sight interview. I scheduled the first available time after conferring with my phone interviewer, who confirmed first interview of the day is better than last. She again recommended reviewing the STAR interview method and that I should have answered prepared for the common questions that I could adapt to the specific questions. Face to face interview went very smoothly. I was dressed in suit and tie and I think the most well dressed person in the office building beside me was wearing slacks and a tucked in shirt. Super casual atmosphere, but I didn't feel overdressed, I felt dressed for the interview. Same basic STAR questions. Then discussion about how I see my future with the company. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO RESEARCH THE COMPANY AND THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR. I looked at the history of the company, the executives of the company, the financial reports for the last three years. Only a small portion of this was discussed in the interview but it showed my interview that I was already going above and beyond. He was very impressed and even told me most applicants don't do that research. I described a possible 5 year plan moving into management positions within the first year and a half, and he encouraged me completely! I walked out very confident and received an offer via phone call within a week. The offer was for the amount I had asked for in the phone interview so I was obliged to accept. One downside, due to when the training session begins for my position I wont start for about a month after I was hired, and almost 2 months from when I started the interview process.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer.
      2. Describe a time when a new process was implemented at work and how you dealt with it.
      3. Describe a time when you had conflict with coworker and how you handled it.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

They asked me how much I would like to make. I gave a number, and they accepted.

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quick for me. I did all my interviews, and hiring process all in one week. The questions were hard in the 1:1 in person interview, and made you really rack your brain especially if you weren't prepared, or aren't a great liar especially because you're put on the spot. A few of the questions I had never been in those type of situations before so it was challenging to come up with answers. For the Bilingual process you have to take a Spanish assessment.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the most challenging things you have had to overcome at a previous job or school?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The process has taken around a month but it hasn't felt drawn out. The job listing said the position starts at the end of August so I didn't really expect the hiring process to happen immediately.
    I applied June 22nd and got an email saying a passed the initial review and needed to do an online test. I got that email the following day. After taking the online test I got an email 1-2 days later saying I passed with a link to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview on July 6th and heard back either that following Monday or Tuesday (July 11 or 12) to schedule an in person interview.

The in person interview was a lot like the phone interview- behavioral based questions that need to be answered in the STAR format. However it is MUCH more extensive in person. You sit through 2 interviews with managers and in between those you have a sit in with an employee and listen in on the calls and what not. My interview took 3 hours.

It's just really important to be yourself and show you have good customer service skills. I came prepared with mock questions and answers, paper to take notes on, and a few copies of my resume. I also did a good amount of research on the company and its growth, and I asked the interviewers lots of questions including if there was anything I needed to clarify on my resume or in my answers. They were all incredibly happy and friendly, and have both been with the company over 20 year which is promising as a prospective employee.

They're currently reviewing my personal interview and I should find out by Tuesday if I'm receiving an offer. (Fingers crossed). I marked no offer on this review, but I haven't heard back yet!

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you had to adjust your methods based on the feedback of a manager.   Answer Question
    • What makes you want to work at Progressive?   1 Answer

Claims Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Went to their job fair, sent in online application, was then given an online assessment. I was accepted for the next step which was a phone interview. I was allowed to select my time for the phone call which was very convenient and was able to do it outside my other work hours. The phone call was approximately 30 minutes. Did not like being forced into boxed in questions and not being able to elaborate on some situations. Was allowed to ask questions at the end. Their process was fairly simple, but all emails and no direct feedback on why you were not accepted, but in fairness they did say that online you might not receive feedback. I think it would be helpful, since they allow you to use your online assessment for applying for other positions, might help to know why you didn't fit criteria.

Interview Questions

• Use targeted behavioral questions, such as describe a situation with a customer where you had to resolve a complaint.   1 Answer
    • Describe a situation where you had a deadline to meet and your employer came and gave you another project, how did you handle the situation?   1 Answer
    • Describe a situation with a fellow employee where you had a difficulty and how did you resolve it?   1 Answer