Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2017

3.2

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
06/26/15- phone interview
06/29/15- background check initiated
07/01/15- manager interview
07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
  • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

11/14 Applied
    11/24 Completed Assessment
    11/30 Phone Interview
    12/8 Background check started
    12/9 In-person Interview
    12/13 Background check complete
    12/14 Received offer & accepted

STAR format questions for both interviews. I don't exactly remember the questions, but you should be prepared to answer questions pertaining to time management & how to prioritize, what you learned in a situation where the outcome wasn't what you expected, how to deal with upset customers, etc. Also, research the company, they may ask what you know about it. Have questions to ask the interviewer.

When answering set it up as a story; what the situation was, what happened, your actions, the outcome and what you learned.

Be yourself during the interview. I had a great experience. Everyone I came into contact with was extremely helpful and friendly. Very positive experience!

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Don't apply here, one of most difficult/worse interviews I have experienced for an entry level position. They really don't care about your skills or work history as long as you can use their STAR format of answering questions (Situation/Task, Action, Result). Does't matter where you worked prior or experiences, if you get even a little bit of this format incorrect in their eyes then you can be sure they will reject you. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STAR FORMAT.....Remember, this is for an ENTRY LEVEL position in which they train you...... The online assessment test is just an hour of your time to see if you think like them which I found pointless because anyone can lie on these things. It's an easy test with obvious answers. The person I interviewed with over the phone was nice enough but you could tell she did not care about the interview itself and the conversation in general was very stale. Red flag immediately. This is just my opinion/experience of course and others will disagree.

If you really want to work for them, stick to the STAR format precisely and always relate your answers to customer service experiences that are both direct/indirect. Be as specific/detailed as possible in your answers and stick to the subject. They will be noting everything you say but only looking for certain specifics in your answers.

They will give you feedback if you ask but it does little to help as they refer you to another site and a youtube video...nice. If you wish to reapply then you gotta wait 6 months...and honestly who can wait 6 months for a job these days and for an entry level position on top of it...they should change the interview name process from Progressive to Aggressive because they just want robots apparently.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time you had to meet a deadline and what you did to meet it.
      2. Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and what you did to resolve the issue.
      3. Tell me about a time where you had to deal with significant changes at work and what you did to acclimate to the situation.
      Answer Question

Claim Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2017.

Interview

I was fortunate to receive a phone interview, unfortunately I did not advance unto the person to person interview. I do not think the HR recruiter was in the best of moods as I had to initiate the conversation. Most of the previous reviews read that interviews take about 45-60 minutes. Instead of good morning she quickly started as follows "interview wont take more than 15 minutes, so lets get started" and jumped right into the questions. maybe its my fault for scheduling an interview at 8AM in the morning. maybe its just the luck of the draw on what person you get. maybe i just blew it.

Interview Questions

• Why Progressive? Name a time when you experienced an unexpected change in the workplace and how did you adjust?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Submitted my resume through indeed and filled out a formal application online. From there, received an email to complete a pre-employment screening questionnaire, and within 24 hours received an email to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled mine for a week out, to give myself ample time to read up on the position and company as a whole. Had phone interview, lasted approximately 40 minutes. My recruiter was extremely personable and easy to speak with. She started out with extensive information on the training program and what the position would entail, then moved on to traditional interview, and ended with situation "STAR" based questions. I am now waiting to see if I landed a sit down interview and will update accordingly.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about Progressive   Answer Question
    • describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer...   1 Answer

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2017.

Interview

I honestly forgot I'd even applied for the position when I got the email asking me to take the assessment. I passed that step and just had a phone interview today. Will know by Friday if I will have a face to face interview. I thought I did ok. I'm not the greatest phone interviewer. I was scheduled to have my interview at 8am but the recruiter had 8:30 on her calendar. So in my defense I was thrown off when she was late.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question
    • Standard questions about your previous job experience, highest level of education, why you left your previous position.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2017.

Interview

A few days after I submitted my application, I was sent a test which was mostly personality and logic questions. A day or so later, I got an email asking me to select from a list of times and dates to schedule my phone interview with my recruiter. At the end of my phone interview, I was told I was being passed on to the next stage and we set up a time for the following week for an in-person interview with someone at the office where I was applying. I did my second interview and received a call back the following week with my job offer.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had a lot of things to do and it didn't all get done.   Answer Question
    • Why did you apply for this department?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you gave poor customer service and what would you have done differently.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Lancaster, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

I took the assessment, 3 days later I received a phone interview (which is not job friendly if you have a current job), they interview you for an hour. The next morning I was given a background check. I later turned down the job because of some really bad red flags their interviewer gave me.

Here were the issues that caused me to turn down the job:

1. 43,000 Salary...which means no OT...this is VERY BAD in the insurance industry because if you stay past your shift or get called in on your day off, you don't paid a single penny more. And as a claims adjuster YOU WILL WORK A LOT.

2. When I asked her the average amount of claims. She said 75-100. I have years of experience at GEICO and Farmers for auto adjuster claims and I was a disability claim manager at Liberty Mutual. A VERY BUSY claim load in my queue at any given time at all three companies averages at 30-40. 75-100 in a queue on an average day like Progressive tells me two things:
                   a. They have a high turn over rate
                   b. This is where they kill you with the salary. It is impossible to do a queue of 75-100 claims in one eight hour shift. There is no way on God's green earth this can be done in 40 hours a week.

3. I asked about advancement opportunities. She said i can one day aspire to drive out in the field as a field adjuster. To me, that's not an advancement opportunity. That's another department. My current job when i asked about advancement opportunities, they replied, "we wont be doing our job as upper management if you cannot get you to upper management" and they really do follow through with that process.

When she interviewed me, I interviewed her. I realized, this job would have been a living nightmare. I politely declined the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation and what did you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Claims Adjuster trainee position and found that the it was fairly quick that I got my assessment test email. I know the day after that I has passed it. I had a phone interview within the week at the end of which I was told that I would hear back the following Monday or Tuesday.

However, I got no response what so ever. There was nothing to tell me that my interview had one reaction or the other. Here I am two weeks later and they can't even be bothered to send an automated email advising that I did not go on to the next phase.

Interview Questions

• Please describe what you did to resolve a difficult situation with a customer.   Answer Question

Mar 30, 2017 – Marketing Specialist III

Hello - If you still haven't received a response, please feel free to reach out to us at careers@progressive.com. A.Y., Recruiting

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position through Indeed.com. Within 24 hours I received an online test and passed. I was sent an email the same day to set up a telephone interview, which I scheduled for that Friday (3 days later). The phone interview was with an amazing recruiter who really made me feel comfortable. The STAR questions were a little more difficult, but not too bad. At the end of the phone call she told me that I would be getting passed on for an on-site interview. I received the background and clearance portion to complete on Monday, and that process took about 5 days. It has now bee almost two weeks of waiting to hear back about an on-site, however I was told that the manager who conducts these at the SC branch was no longer with the company and that we were just waiting on scheduling.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about Progressive.   1 Answer

Apr 12, 2017 – Marketing Specialist III

Hi there - If you still haven't heard back please feel free to contact us at careers@progressive.com and we can help look into this for you. Best, A.Y., Progressive Recruiting