Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

3.2

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
06/26/15- phone interview
06/29/15- background check initiated
07/01/15- manager interview
07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
  • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (West Palm Beach, FL).

Interview

I had a phone interview and the lady was nice. I passed that stage and was called back for a face to face interview. The person they said that would interview me wasn't there so someone else had to do it and I think it was her first time. The whole process from applying to going through all the million steps took about two months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tallahassee, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

I did a online assessment followed by two on site interviews. my first one was based of Targeted Selection and I did great I was told I would be a amazing fit. The second one was with the branch manager they just asked more questions of my experience not based on the STAR format really. I did ok. I'm currently waiting on a offer. My background check was already completed. Overall my experience was great. I enjoyed meeting everyone and everyone was nice. I was told I would here back Friday if not Wednesday of next week. I'm excited. I researched the company before hand and prepared for the interviews. Everyone was really nice and i was told the job would be a challenge but it was nothing I didn't expect.

Interview Questions

• If I asked your current supervisor, what would be your strengths and weakness.   Answer Question
    • What's your day to day job.   Answer Question
    • How do you stay organized. Stress time management and ability to adapt.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in June 2017.

Interview

It's exactly like other reviewers have said:

5/11 Application
    5/13 Online Assessment Test
    5/16 Phone Interview
    5/18 Background Check
    5/25 Video Interview
    6/02 Offer

It is exactly what the recruiter said it was going to be. It took weeks, and it can be difficult with multiple job offers waiting. If you're in the beginning of your job search start here first! Everyone was very professional and was so kind. The video interview is a little different then anything I've done before, and it was a great experience!

Interview Questions

• Give a time when you were faced with an angry customer, what happened, what did you do, what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Don't apply here, one of most difficult/worse interviews I have experienced for an entry level position. They really don't care about your skills or work history as long as you can use their STAR format of answering questions (Situation/Task, Action, Result). Does't matter where you worked prior or experiences, if you get even a little bit of this format incorrect in their eyes then you can be sure they will reject you. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STAR FORMAT.....Remember, this is for an ENTRY LEVEL position in which they train you...... The online assessment test is just an hour of your time to see if you think like them which I found pointless because anyone can lie on these things. It's an easy test with obvious answers. The person I interviewed with over the phone was nice enough but you could tell she did not care about the interview itself and the conversation in general was very stale. Red flag immediately. This is just my opinion/experience of course and others will disagree.

If you really want to work for them, stick to the STAR format precisely and always relate your answers to customer service experiences that are both direct/indirect. Be as specific/detailed as possible in your answers and stick to the subject. They will be noting everything you say but only looking for certain specifics in your answers.

They will give you feedback if you ask but it does little to help as they refer you to another site and a youtube video...nice. If you wish to reapply then you gotta wait 6 months...and honestly who can wait 6 months for a job these days and for an entry level position on top of it...they should change the interview name process from Progressive to Aggressive because they just want robots apparently.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time you had to meet a deadline and what you did to meet it.
      2. Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and what you did to resolve the issue.
      3. Tell me about a time where you had to deal with significant changes at work and what you did to acclimate to the situation.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

I got through the first 3 steps but didn't make it to 4th in person.I believe not meeting in person is detrimental. Also think age was factor. Not happy overall. Ageism.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Once your resume is reviewed if it matches you are sent an assessment to complete. Once you pass that you schedule a phone interview (their phone interviews are outsourced). The phone interview consists of some basic conversation as well as about 3 STAR format questions basically seeing if you have multitasking and time management skills. From that point if you are pushed forward you are contacted by a recruiter and a background check is initiated while you wait for your face to face interview. Stress your multitasking, organizational, time management and problem solving skills. This is a position you will need them for!

Interview Questions

• what kind of responsibilities have you recently added to your work day and how do you manage those changes?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

11/14 Applied
    11/24 Completed Assessment
    11/30 Phone Interview
    12/8 Background check started
    12/9 In-person Interview
    12/13 Background check complete
    12/14 Received offer & accepted

STAR format questions for both interviews. I don't exactly remember the questions, but you should be prepared to answer questions pertaining to time management & how to prioritize, what you learned in a situation where the outcome wasn't what you expected, how to deal with upset customers, etc. Also, research the company, they may ask what you know about it. Have questions to ask the interviewer.

When answering set it up as a story; what the situation was, what happened, your actions, the outcome and what you learned.

Be yourself during the interview. I had a great experience. Everyone I came into contact with was extremely helpful and friendly. Very positive experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Charlotte, NC) in May 2017.

Interview

I was really impressed with the hiring process. I applied on 5/2/17, passed assessment on 5/3/17, which consists of basic math and personality type questions. Received a request for a phone interview on 5/5/17. Had phone interview on 5/9/17 and received notice that I was moving forward to the next steps during the phone interview. Completed background check on 5-10-17, had a face-to-face interview on 5-15-17, background check was completed on the same day and I am currently waiting for a response. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Plymouth, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward. You first apply online, you get sent an assessment, and are scheduled a phone interview. Around one week later you will receive an email stating whether or not you moved on to a formal interview. They will start the interview with basic questions as well as mention that they want your answers in the STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time you had to meet a deadline, how were you able to meet that deadline?   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time you had an angry or upset customer. How were you able to resolve the issue?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Progressive?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Progressive?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the role of a Claims Adjuster?   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time you had significant changes at work and how you were able to handle the changes   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time you were in a busy work environment. How were you able to succeed in this environment?   Answer Question