Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2018

3.2

391 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
06/26/15- phone interview
06/29/15- background check initiated
07/01/15- manager interview
07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
  • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I originally applied for the position in late November/ early December. Within 24 hours I received the online assessment that included both a call center scenario test and an English/Math skills test. The call center scenario was fairly basic and if you pay attention and read the options carefully, you should be able to pass this with little issue. A word of advice when going through this assessment, use headphones, turn up your volume, and sit in a quiet room. You can easily miss a key piece of information which will impact how you do. The goal isn't necessarily to get through them quickly, it's to get through them in a sufficient amount of time while listening to your "customer". The English/Math assessment is a little more complicated. It takes into consideration your ability to define certain words, use the proper word in a sentence, calculate percentages, etc. Sometimes it comes down to weeding options out if you are not familiar with a word. Again, don't rush through this. You get plenty of time to complete this test.

After these two tests I received an offer to do a phone interview. I spoke with Julie who was amazing. Interviews are uncomfortable and I get extremely nervous, but Julie did such a great job setting my mind at ease. She was friendly and gave me a realistic expectation of the job, environment, and next steps.

Lastly, I had my in person interview. I prepared as best as I could by reading up on the Progressive website and Glassdoor. Although I felt ok, I was worried that I didn't answer all of the questions as best as I could. Again, I was thankful that I was provided with a realistic expectation of the work and what I would be facing in this position. I received a call two hours after my last interview indicating that they liked me and that we just needed to wait on my background check.

Today my background check came in and I got the call offering me the position! I have read reviews that indicate that people shouldn't bother if they don't have claims experience. I do not agree with this at all. I do not have claims experience, but I have other job experience that can translate into claims work. Tie your work and education into your answers. Prepare as best as you can and ultimately have a passion for the company. If you don't get through on the first try, don't give up.

Interview Questions

• Phone & In Person - Why Progressive?   Answer Question
    • In Person - Discuss a time when you were not able to complete a task and what happened?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What do you like & dislike about your current job?   Answer Question
    • In Person - What was your favorite job/position you have had and why?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Interview

Took two tests, which I enjoyed taking. "Not selected" for an interview. I have over ten years of experience in customer service and I actually enjoy working with the public. I will NEVER use Progressive for insurance.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I submitted my resume and received an email stating my resume was selected to proceed to the next step. A few hours later they emailed me an assessment that included various math problems, personality questions and a stimulation. This took about two hours. I then received an email a few days later stating I passed the first assessment and was sent a link to take another assessment. Basically the same thing minus the stimulation. This took about 90 minutes to complete. Few days later I received an email stating I passed with qualifying results and that they would be in contact with me in the next few weeks to set up a phone interview. Nearly a MONTH later my application status changed stating that that I was not selected but they would keep my information on file if I want to apply for another position. Look, I get that they probably receive 1,000's of applications daily, but the process is pretty disappointing especially after wasting my time with the online assessments and being told initially that I was qualified but then I get a "nope, nevermind, we just strung you along for over a month for nothing, but good luck!" It's extremely frustrating and depressing for those looking for employment. If I wasn't selected even after being told I was "qualified" then who actually does qualify??

Interview Questions

• Why tell potential employees that they are qualified but then deny them the chance to interview?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

You submit an application and the recruiter sends you an assessment. If you pass the assessment you receive a second assessment and upon completion you receive an email notifying you of a passing score and advising the recruiter will contact you. However, I received an email 5 whole minutes after to declining my application. Basically if you don't have any adjuster experience don't waste your time. Stop sending people these lengthy assessments wasting their time if you're not going to move forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ridgeland, MS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Ridgeland, MS) in January 2018.

Interview

Communication was great but my interview was an absolute waste of time. Hiring manager made a hiring decision before all candidates were interviewed. Interviewer told me at the end of the interview that she was meeting with the hiring manager that evening to discuss candidates but she had another interview the next day. So essentially she wasted 45 minutes of mine and another candidates time for a position that had already been filled. I was appalled at the lack of professionalism to hire for a position prior to finishing all interviews you had selected during that open application. Was super excited about possibly working for this company but have lost all respect for them if this is how they conduct business

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you encountered a difficult customer   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2018.

Interview

12/14- Submitted online application
    12/15-Received part 1 of assessment
    12/17- Received part 2 of assessment
    12/18- Received notification of passing results
    12/20-My Progressive job profile was put in phone interview to be scheduled status.
    1/2/18-Received phone interview invite
    1/9/18- Completed phone interview

Progressive’s hiring process is quite lengthy, which shows that they take pride in their company and who represents it. The application was pretty straightforward, the assessments were time consuming and were a mixture of behavioral/situational questions, problem solving/math and data entry. You should really be focused and minimize distractions as best as possible when completing assessment. Do not rush through! The phone interview was not bad at all, I feel like I gave good answers, however I was extremely nervous and used Umm entirely too much. But the interviewer was very professional and did a great job explaining the position and the what would be expected. As of now I am pending a decision for a in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you here about the position?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose to apply for the position?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Progressive?   Answer Question
    • How have you handled an upset customer and what was the end result?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to multi-task what was used to help complete your task, what distractions were involved and what was the result?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Interview

The whole process is a joke ! This company does job qualification completely different than any other job I've applied for! They make you complete the long application then a day or two later the email a link to take an assessment that takes 35-50 minutes to complete . Pass that then a few days later the send a 2nd assessment that takes 45-60 mins on average to complete pass that. A few minutes later the e-mail you informing if you passed with I received staying "You received qualifying results on the employment assessmen" then the next day I received and email saying "We reviewed your skills and experience, and unfortunately won't be moving forward with your application for the Claims Adjuster Trainee" don't wast your time with this company.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Overall the initial process was quick. Submitted my app. next day got the link for the assessment test. Completed that and the following day got the second part. The day after I received the email saying that they would keep my resume on file for other positions but would not be moving forward with me for the Claims Adjuster Trainee position. Wasn’t bad just disappointing. I would be able to retake the assessment test again in 6months if I wish to keep trying for this particular position

Interview Questions

• The assessment tests were pretty much personality test and basic skills. Straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (West Palm Beach, FL) in December 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. First I had a phone interview that consisted mainly of STAR type questions, and dug a little into my employment history. The in-person interview was a one-on-one interview with a Progressive Manager who is in charge of hiring for multiple locations. The interviewer was very police and personable, and although I was nervous, I felt pretty comfortable. The interview went more like a casual conversation about my background and work history, as well as a segment of STAR type questions. STAR questions are always a bit challenging, and these were no different. I left feeling like I didn't necessarily rock the interview, but I felt okay, like I didn't blow it.

The wait for the phone call after the interview was a bit nerve racking.... Feelings of excitement and anxiousness. I got the call today though, a week after the interview... I got the job!!! I am super excited. I really couldn't be happier. This opportunity could not have come at a better time in my life. I am so very thankful and humbled. I can't wait to go to work for progressive.

My best advise for anyone applying, is to be honest. Be honest on the survey, be honest with your background, and be honest in your interviews. I have heard of a lot of people not making it through progressives extensive process. Be true, be honest, and if you are qualified.. You have a solid shot! Good Luck eveyone. Thank you so much Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were successful in negotiating.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question