Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2017

3.2

357 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
06/26/15- phone interview
06/29/15- background check initiated
07/01/15- manager interview
07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
  • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH... More

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I took the online assessment and went through the phone interview. That part of the process was great and I was invited to schedule an in person interview right away.
    I arrived to the meeting super excited but walked into the most hostile environment I have ever experienced during an interview. I choose to believe that this was a well planned scare tactic because the rudeness and amount of condescending questions I was subjected to were absolutely unreal. It is also quite obvious that this organization puts their profits before anybody else including their employees.
    Regardless of the scenario, there is absolutely no way I would ever agree to work for these managers.

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Macon, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application via Glassdoor link to their site and received a request for the assessment within about 24 hours. Within 3 business days I received an email to schedule my phone interview and was then moved on to the in person interview about a week later. I received a call from the recruiter to offer me the position about 3 days after that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to de-escalate an angry customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a typical day in your current position. (To determine your ability to plan your day ahead).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Corpus Christi, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough and detailed. Progressive certainly goes to great lengths to make sure they are hiring the best people. The entire hiring/interview process took about 2 weeks.
    Applied on 8/25
    Phone Interview with Recruiter 8/31
    In-person interview with Mgr 9/12
    Decision provided 9/19
    Once I was deemed to be a viable candidate by the recruiter I was required to submit quite a bit of information for my background check including all the addresses I lived at within the last 10 years, all education, and all employers.
    Important to note that even before you may be afforded an opportunity to speak with a recruiter you will be given two different online assessments.
    During my in-person interview with the manager I was advised that 90 people applied and they only decided to interview 3 of them. That being said I was advised that even if I am not selected please do not feel as if I am not qualified as all 3 of the candidates are but the one selected will who they feel is the best fit for the company. Both of the managers in my interview were very open and spoke candidly which I appreciated.

I did not end up getting selected but overall the interview process was very positive.

Interview Questions

• What did you least like about your most recent position?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when you made a bad decision and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2017.

Interview

The hiring process with this company is one big joke. First you're required to take two hour long tests, all in the name of seeing if you "qualify" to work for Progressive. The tests consist of basic math, real life scenarios, personality questions, etc. I had passed both tests and received an email stating that I had received qualifying results and would be contacted soon.

A few days pass and I hear nothing from the Progressive recruiters. I open my email shortly after to basically tell me that I would not go through to the next steps. This literally makes no sense, considering when people have passed both tests to receive an interview. How can a company make a determination to cut applicants when they've not only passed the company's assessment, but haven't even had the opportunity to interview face to face with company representatives. This doesn't give applicants the chance to really show off their knowledge, personality, achievements, or work ethic whatsoever. There's also the fact that two hours of an individual's time is now wasted on a test that doesn't define how somebody works, thinks, or acts. This company's hiring process is a complete and utter joke.

Interview Questions

• Wasn't given the opportunity to be asked any questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Madison, WI).

Interview

I applied for the position online, was then sent an online assessment and completed it, got a phone interview, drove two hours for an in person interview, completed background check (in which they wanted college transcripts and a complete work history from the last five years of employment), and then they called me to tell me that I wasn't getting an offer. After all of that, it was highly disheartening to not get an offer. It's a rigorous application process and I can't believe I went through all of it for nothing.

Interview Questions

• Name an instance where you were dissatisfied with your job and what did you do to rectify it.   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in August 2017.

Interview

Applied-Aug 7th 2017
    First Assessment Request- Aug 7th 2017
    Second Assessment Request-Aug 8th 2017
    Request for Phone Interview- Aug 8th 2017
    Phone Interview Date-Aug 11th 2017
    Awaiting to get results back to either move on or schedule in person interview as of Aug 14th 2017. Was told i would hear by Aug 16th.

The process for Progressive is the longest i have been in so far. Ive read other peoples time lines and was about a month. I'm at the 1 week mark. I still have the in person interview and the background check to do to see if i even get an offer for the job. The women i interviewed with was from South Carolina I believe and was very friendly. She could tell i was a little nervous. Talked about what entails in the interview. First was conversation about my employment history and why i wanted to work for Progressive. Then got into the STAR questions. Made sure to answer every part of the question and reiterated just in case she missed anything. It definitly seams like they are trying to see if you would be a good fit for the position instead of just throwing people in there hoping they can learn. Went over pay, training which is 2 weeks in office, 2 weeks in Ohio(they pay for everything she said) and then a few more weeks of training. In total she said it was 3 months worth. At the beginning of the 4th month you are moved to your own desk and given a few claims to go over. You also get paired with 2 mentors which will help you through out everything. In total we spent a half hour talking. I honestly dont think i will be moving forward in the process but if I do, I will update later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where you had an upset customer. What did you do and what was the end result.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you had to implement a new procedure. How quickly did it have to be implemented?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied-6/19/2017
    Phone interview- 6/28/2017
    Background check complete -july 6
    Face to Face interview-July 21
    Offer letter -July 25

The process was about a month long and very detailed. I was nervous the entire time during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell a time when a customer wasn't seeing things your way?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mount Laurel, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Very drawn out. And although I was aware of the STAR interview tactic. I am NOT very good at embellishing or acting out a "Commander McBragg" ideal of myself. Somewhere in the process your track record should count for something?!

Interview Questions

• Give me an instance when you went above and beyond your work duties to shine within your company. (to paraphrase)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Plainfield, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (South Plainfield, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

Like many others on here have described, I applied, after an employee referral, and passed the initial online assessment. I had my phone interview today, which lasted about 40 minutes. The woman who called me, at the exact time we discussed, was very friendly, personable and gave good feedback when I asked a question. A few behavioral questions and review of my resume to start, before I was asked three star questions that I prepared examples for before hand. Felt like I had a good anecdotes that followed the format. Make sure to elaborate on the "end result" and what you learned from the experience. Focused on customer service, multitasking, and negotiating. Waiting to hear back about possible in person interview

..will update when I can