Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

3.2

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
06/26/15- phone interview
06/29/15- background check initiated
07/01/15- manager interview
07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
  • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Online Application: completed
    Online Assessment: within an hour of submitting app
    Phone Interview: one week from application date
    Background Screen: in progress

So far the process is smooth, but extremely detailed. You can only take the online assessment once every 6 months and it needs to be passed the first time. For the background check you need ten years of residence history without gaps, 7 years job history with either contact phone numbers for each or W-2's/old pay stubs, and lastly they let you know it's a long hiring process. (Up to 6 weeks)

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had so much work and deadlines to meet, how did you balance the workload and get the job done?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

11/14 Applied
    11/24 Completed Assessment
    11/30 Phone Interview
    12/8 Background check started
    12/9 In-person Interview
    12/13 Background check complete
    12/14 Received offer & accepted

STAR format questions for both interviews. I don't exactly remember the questions, but you should be prepared to answer questions pertaining to time management & how to prioritize, what you learned in a situation where the outcome wasn't what you expected, how to deal with upset customers, etc. Also, research the company, they may ask what you know about it. Have questions to ask the interviewer.

When answering set it up as a story; what the situation was, what happened, your actions, the outcome and what you learned.

Be yourself during the interview. I had a great experience. Everyone I came into contact with was extremely helpful and friendly. Very positive experience!

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Once your resume is reviewed if it matches you are sent an assessment to complete. Once you pass that you schedule a phone interview (their phone interviews are outsourced). The phone interview consists of some basic conversation as well as about 3 STAR format questions basically seeing if you have multitasking and time management skills. From that point if you are pushed forward you are contacted by a recruiter and a background check is initiated while you wait for your face to face interview. Stress your multitasking, organizational, time management and problem solving skills. This is a position you will need them for!

Interview Questions

• what kind of responsibilities have you recently added to your work day and how do you manage those changes?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Don't apply here, one of most difficult/worse interviews I have experienced for an entry level position. They really don't care about your skills or work history as long as you can use their STAR format of answering questions (Situation/Task, Action, Result). Does't matter where you worked prior or experiences, if you get even a little bit of this format incorrect in their eyes then you can be sure they will reject you. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STAR FORMAT.....Remember, this is for an ENTRY LEVEL position in which they train you...... The online assessment test is just an hour of your time to see if you think like them which I found pointless because anyone can lie on these things. It's an easy test with obvious answers. The person I interviewed with over the phone was nice enough but you could tell she did not care about the interview itself and the conversation in general was very stale. Red flag immediately. This is just my opinion/experience of course and others will disagree.

If you really want to work for them, stick to the STAR format precisely and always relate your answers to customer service experiences that are both direct/indirect. Be as specific/detailed as possible in your answers and stick to the subject. They will be noting everything you say but only looking for certain specifics in your answers.

They will give you feedback if you ask but it does little to help as they refer you to another site and a youtube video...nice. If you wish to reapply then you gotta wait 6 months...and honestly who can wait 6 months for a job these days and for an entry level position on top of it...they should change the interview name process from Progressive to Aggressive because they just want robots apparently.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time you had to meet a deadline and what you did to meet it.
      2. Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and what you did to resolve the issue.
      3. Tell me about a time where you had to deal with significant changes at work and what you did to acclimate to the situation.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Charlotte, NC) in May 2017.

Interview

I was really impressed with the hiring process. I applied on 5/2/17, passed assessment on 5/3/17, which consists of basic math and personality type questions. Received a request for a phone interview on 5/5/17. Had phone interview on 5/9/17 and received notice that I was moving forward to the next steps during the phone interview. Completed background check on 5-10-17, had a face-to-face interview on 5-15-17, background check was completed on the same day and I am currently waiting for a response. Wish me luck!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online through indeed.com on 4/25
    Got an email 5/1 to complete assessment
    Completed assessment 5/2
    Phone interview request 5/4
    Completed phone interview 5/9
    Background initiated 5/10
    Final video interview 5/18
    Both interviews were very nice and informative and made the interview comfortable. I'm waiting to see I get an offer by the end of the month.

Interview Questions

• Previous job questions followed Star based questions.
      Handled difficult customer? Why progressive? Above and beyond for customer? Not able to complete a task?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Plymouth, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward. You first apply online, you get sent an assessment, and are scheduled a phone interview. Around one week later you will receive an email stating whether or not you moved on to a formal interview. They will start the interview with basic questions as well as mention that they want your answers in the STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time you had to meet a deadline, how were you able to meet that deadline?   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time you had an angry or upset customer. How were you able to resolve the issue?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Progressive?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Progressive?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the role of a Claims Adjuster?   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time you had significant changes at work and how you were able to handle the changes   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time you were in a busy work environment. How were you able to succeed in this environment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Milwaukee, WI) in May 2017.

Interview

5/1 - Applied Online
    5/4 - Received and Completed Online Assessment
    5/5 - Request for a Phone Interview
    5/12 - Phone Interview
    5/15 - Background Check Begins
    5/16 - In-Person Interview Scheduled
    5/19 - In-Person Interview
    5/22 - Background Check Completed
    5/22 - Offer Extended

I got through the process a little faster than most on here (seems like people average a month), but it still felt lengthy what with all of the steps. The fact is, though, that my recruiter and local manager were SO kind and such a breeze to work with throughout the entire process.

The assessment is really easy, mostly just personality questions. My phone interview with the recruiter was great; she was eager and ready to answer all of my questions, and I could tell she was really listening to my answers. KNOW "STAR" FORMATS. They review it in the phone interview, but just be comfortable with how those answers work. Come prepared with GOOD questions, not things you could learn by reading the website.

The background check was annoying because HireRight can be a pain. Make sure you check it at least once a day. They're supposed to email you if they need you to provide documentation or proof, but they never emailed me. I was lucky that I was impatient enough to check it and see.

My in-person interview was a lot like my phone interview. More STAR, more details. It's critical that you do a lot of research about the role and about Progressive to succeed here. I referenced the Core Values and the company's history very casually in my answers, and I think that helped.

Honestly, everyone with Progressive was so nice. I'm excited to start work here soon!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you handled some kind of negotiation   Answer Question
    • What skill set do you think is your weakest? What are you trying to improve?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you came up short of expectations.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond the call of duty.   Answer Question
    • What specifically about Progressive makes you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Greenville, SC) in May 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a current claims adjuster employee. 4/28 I applied, 4/30 I was emailed and completed the assessment. 5/1 I was schedule a phone interview that went great (use STAR method) on 5/5. I was told at the end of my phone interview I was moving forward to the final phase, face to face. On 5/13 my face to face was scheduled for 5/21 and on 5/18 I sent my background information form off. In person interview went great, hoping for an offer, just waiting on it and the background check. Great application process and great company it seems to work for.

Interview Questions

• What is your best characteristic that benefits a team environment?   Answer Question