Progressive Insurance Claims Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Claims Representative Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2017

3.4

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2017.

Interview

2/10 - Submitted Application
2/20 - Email requesting online pre-employment assessment. Completed same day.
2/21- Email received stating assessment passed with follow-up email requesting a telephone interview to be scheduled. Scheduled same day for the following Monday.
2/27-Phone Interview
2/28-email requesting backgrounds & request to schedule face-to-face
3/3 - face-to-face interview
3/6 - Background completed by Hireright & sent to progressive
3/9 - Backgrounds reviewed and cleared at Progressive & offer extended

The pre-employment assessment tested some basic logic & reasoning skills along with a basic occupational / personality assessment. Nothing too crazy here, folks. No need to stress.

The phone interview lasted about 1 hour. My recruiter did a fantastic job. She was skilled, personable & engaging. She gave a complete overview of the position that I applied for and also an intro to other open positions that I may be considered. Basic questions about past & current employment. A bit about me and why the career change. There were about 3 STAR questions total. Relax and get into the conversation and you'll do fine.

The face-to-face interview lasted approximately 1.5 hours. Again, topnotch interview. I was given a detailed
tour of the building and given a great overview of Progressive. This particular hiring manager was pretty amazing. I felt instantly comfortable and I could sense that she did her homework and was vested in the interview process. The STAR questions were a bit more intense- I think about 9 total. Best advice is to think of about 4 solid, complex senerios that could fit a number of questions and know them well. Don't worry about taking a moment to think through your answer or ask for clarification. Be honest & passionate. At the end you'll get the chance to ask questions, as well. Be confident in you skills & what you can do for the company. :-)

Backgrounds. This was nerve wracking. I was informed that I was selected pending successful completion of backgrounds. Although I knew my background was solid (previous TS cleared) your mind will play all kinds of horrible games with you - oh the anticipation . Don't let it get to you. You're amazing - you made it this far, right!?! It took about 10 days to clear backgrounds. I tried to help the process as much as I could by supplying documents upfront (Transcripts, W2s, etc...)

A recruiter contacted me and made the offer. I accepted verbally via phone. Offer was emailed, as well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. This is an entry level position. I believe this is a company to grow with. They will train you (free of cost) & reward accordingly.

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Took online assessment and was sent an email to schedule phone interview for the following day. The interview was very short and I felt like the interviewer was trying to rush through. It was a typical interview with STAR questions. I felt I did pretty amazing but by the tone of the interviewer I felt like he already knew I wouldn't be getting the offer. Odd experience and first time in my life that I didn't feel confident after an interview. He didn't go over much about what the job was about, instead just jumped into the standard questions any company asks. I didn't have a good experience and won't be applying for any other positions with the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX).

Interview

The application is completed online through Taleo. If the application matches the desired skills or background, an email will be sent asking the applicant to complete a personality and skills assessment, also online.

Once this has been completed and the answers deemed acceptable, an email will be received inviting the applicant to select a time for a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview, if the recruiter is pleased, a request for a background check and an in-person on-site interview will be extended. At the end of the in-person interview, the applicant will be informed that s/he will hear from the recruiter.

Apparently only those lucky enough to actually receive an offer ever hear from the recruiter, though. Even after several email and voicemail follow ups, I did not hear back. One would think that as much as "follow through" is emphasized with this company, the least that could be done for applicants who have made it to the final interview stage would be a short email saying, "Thanks, but no thanks." I add this only because this seems to have happened to several other applicants who have also posted reviews on here.

ALL interview questions are STAR based and doing some basic research on the method will provide more than enough information on the questions to expect. Also, they have some posted on their website that use.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied 1/23
    Received email for assessment 1/23
    Phone interview 1/27
    Onsite interview 1/30
    Received email stating the interview went well and they were waiting on my background check I would hear from them within two weeks.
    Today is the two wk date mark. I thought things went very well but not hearing from them makes me wonder otherwise. Interview process long but understandable when applying for a huge corporation like Progressive. Phone Interview was based on the STAR format, Onsite interview was very informative and they asked almost the exact same questions as they list on their site. Gentleman was very professional and very nice, asked me if I thought I could handle the job, most definitely. I thought I for sure had it walking out. No communication since. Will update if I hear anything

Interview Questions

• Talk about an experience where you had to go above and beyond your normal job duties?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2017.

Interview

Applied Friday. Assessment Monday, phone interview following tues. did research and prepared for star. Felt I did very well and answered all questions confidently. Was told I'd hear back that they were interviewing other candidates. Which from everything I've read means no. But she did say there may be other jobs in the company that I would be interested in or suited for. Waiting for official email.

Edit: Update received an email requesting a background check if I wanted to apply to the customer service position. Proceeding with that.

Update: did the in person interview on Friday. Made to feel super comfortable. I felt it went well. Results came back Monday via email that I wasn't selected. Asked for feedback. Missed a few details when probed and lack of sales experience.

Interview Questions

• Why progressive? Why are you leaving? Best/worst things about current job. Tell about... upset customer, taking criticism, a time you felt overwhelmed at work and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process is drawn out and exhausting. It's a hard and cold process. This is not a company I would want to work for. Sadly, I have found that out over the years. I have had two phone interviews (years apart) and each time have gotten the same copy and paste jargon that I am not qualified after my initial phone interview. That I'm "not qualified" for positions that I am more than qualified for. Progressive uses the STAR format. They'll ask you approximately three STAR questions. The questions I was asked did not correlate with the position I was applying for. I could also tell that the recruiter that was interviewing me was unprepared and mumbled through most of the interview. He didn't seem like he wanted to be talking to me and was quick to try to rush me off at the end. He asked if I had any questions at the end, and seemed surprised and disappointed that I did. He answered what I asked but then continued to pry and nit pick at my resume (it was an odd point in the interview for him to do this because if I hadn't asked questions we would have disconnected and not inquired at all). He asked some personal and unprofessional questions in regards to my experience. If you really want to work here, best of luck. I really don't know if it's worth it. I spent well over a week preparing for my phone interview just to get an email that I'm not qualified. Personally, it's not worth the time when you can apply to work for another insurance company with less stress and being sifted through a hiring system that seems flawed and like it misses out on hiring qualified individuals.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you worked with someone who was different than you and had a different view. What did you do? How did you come together to work through your difference?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview - Was very lengthy and very detailed, lets you know everything you could ever need to hear about the position, it's benefits, pay rate, and hourly schedule.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe a time where you had to deal with an upset customer. How did you deal with it, what was the end result?

2. Describe a time where a company you worked for had a change in policy that directly effected you, how did you deal with it, was there any concerns?

3.What were some significant Pro's and Con's to the last job you had, how did they effect you, and how did you deal with it?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Online application; Online assessment that gauged both critical thinking as well as opinion based answers. Phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. Questions were basic STAR format questions. Was told I would hear back either way via email within a week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were overwhelmed and how you handled it   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I applied for claims representative, but I received an email that they wanted me to apply for the customer service rep position instead which I declined because the hours were not as good and the pay was less, but somehow a hitch on their system scheduled me for a phone interview for a position that I did not applied. The lady on the phone sounded very rude, like she just got had a bad experience just a few mins ago before she called me, I though that was kind of odd considering that she is conducting an interview for customer service, and I can hear by her tone that she was mad about something. So she started first stating that she couldn't hear me very well so I had to raise my voice a couple of times. I used my phone constantly so the issue must of been on her end

Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

Very intense and structured.. practice, practice! Esp for the phone Interview which was the hardest. The recruiters are serious about selecting the right people. If you are shy or timid you need to reallly rehearse. The phone interview can last anywhere between 30-60 mins. Be ready to talk about yourself and background and answer about 7 behavior questions.. if you get off track or not answering the question in the correct format.. they will guide you back on track.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you could not fulfill the request of a customer? What did you do and what was the end result? If hired at progressive where do you see yourself in the company 3 years from now?   Answer Question