Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Feb 12, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

Jan 17 Applied
Jan 18 took assessment I had no issues with the assessment just answer truthfully.
Jan 18 Got results that I passed
Jan 19 Got email to schedule phone interview
Jan 24 phone interview phone interview was not difficult asked STAR format questions. I was told that I passed at the end of the call which lasted around 1hour. I didn't even realize an hour had passed.
Jan 24 request for background check
Jan 24 In person interview setup
Jan 31 Went to in person interview, I was took on a tour of the facility and explained the whole process. I interviewed with 2 managers at the same time. Asked star format questions. It was a really comfortable environment just be honest and be youurself. Pratice STAR format questions and make sure you have questions to ask them at the end.
Feb 1 Got an email that my face to face interview went well and that I would hear from them in the next 2 weeks.
Feb 2 Got email from hireRight to Star background check.
Its Feb 12 and I'm still waiting to hear back fingers crossed. Hireright is a little difficult they requested I send them a 1099 for my self employment which was difficult because I didn't receive a 1099. They wouldn't accept the documents I sent them. For another job I worked at the same company but 2 different locations but they are owned by different individuals. Hireright only got dates for 1 they emailed me to say the dates differ from what they received and what I put down. I told them about this and was just told ok don't worry. Then I got an email that they couldn't contact 2 companies and they needed me to provide their information but they also sent an email saying they were in contact right before they said they couldn't contact them. They asked for W-2's which I didn't have as these jobs are 7-9 years old. They asked if I had contact information for a supervisor again it been 7-9 years. I Google the companies and supplied them with these numbers. I then got an email saying my dates for my self employment differ. I explained to them again that I worked under 2 different IBO's and my first IBO changed all her contact information and I didn't have it and I was a dependent due to school so my dad files me on his taxes. I then was told to disregard the notices and my employment history was already completed. I was told I was 85% finished they were waiting on my criminal history to come bavk. I really hope hireRight doesn't cost me this job. I learned a valuable lesson keep everything. I checked no but I am still waiting to hear back from them fingers crossed I will update when I hear bavk.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had a dissatisfied customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online
    Completed assessment
    Received email to set up phone interview
    Completed phone interview 1hr
    Asked to complete background check
    Completed face to face interview 2-3hrs total. 1hr with a manager 30min shadowing employee 1hr with another manager.

Advice - Do your homework about the company how they are growing. Think really hard about why you want to be there. If customer service isn't your passion don't apply they want people who want to be there. They said they give a lot of feedback so if you can't handle constructive criticism and aren't adult enough to set your own goals this probably isn't the Job for you. Both managers seems to really care about their employees which I think is hard to find. They ask a lot of behavioral questions so be prepared to answer in star format with specific examples. I think what also helped was being personable. Don't be a robot they want to see that you can connect with them on a personal level as well as with their customers. They are looking for people who can build customer relationships.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to persuade a customer to see things your way?   Answer Question
    • What is your goal within the company? Where do you see yourself after training?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had a difficult task and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you didn't see eye to eye with a manager and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to offer a customer a product or service that would fit their needs? How did you know to offer that product? Outcome?   Answer Question
    • Why progressive?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me the job but and waiting on some information with the background check. No talk of pay till everything comes back will update: :)

Anonymous Employee in Mayfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

August 31st- Applied Online
    September 1st- Received e-mail that my application had been pulled, and a request to take my online assessment. It took 40 minutes, some simple math questions and a lot of personality questions (stay consistent with your answers, there are many of the same questions with different wording. Take your time on the assessment, you have two hours.)
    September 2nd- Recieved e-mail that my assessment results passed to move onto the next step and to keep an eye out for an e-mail for a phone interview request.
    September 8th- Recieved e-mail for phone interview request- you schedule according to the available times.
    September 14th- Phone interview at 8:00 AM- lasted about 40 minutes. Went over job history and my roles there, then asked 3 or 4 basic star questions. I was told on the phone that I would advance to the in-person interview and to expect a call for when to schedule the interview.
    September 14th- Recieved my phone call to set up the in-person interview 15 minutes after my phone interview (Chose September 16th.) And received e-mail to set up background check through outside website, HireRight.
    September 16th- My in-person interview was a one-on-one, it lasted just about an hour. We took a tour of the campus and went back to the interview area where we again talked about my work history and responsibilities per job, and then i answered about 8 star questions. My interviewer was very nice and answerd any questions, he stayed stoic during the interview and took many notes.
    September 16th- (About an hour after my interview) Recieved an email that my interview went well and to expect a call within the next two weeks.
    October 4th- Recieved a phone call with a job offer. Although I had applied for a customer service rep, they were placing for that job as well as a sales rep or a claims rep and decided from my interview I would work in sales. My start date isn't until December 26th.

Overall, very intense and long interview process. Learn about the company, practice your STAR questions and use any of the resources the progressive website offers you. Make sure you have questions to ask your interviewers so you can stand out and have a conversation with your recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most complex part of your job. Why is it complex and how do you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the most challenging change you've faced at work.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with/help someone who was different from you.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • Why progressive?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tampa, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

The phone interview was brief and well received. The questions were direct and followed the STAR format. There were no surprises. Fairly easy to prepare for if you do some research on questions and think about scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Give a situation where you went above and beyond to help out a client.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2016.

Interview

I have not gotten hired yet, but so far the process has been a great experience. My recruiter was very friendly, funny, and very informative. They asked questions using the STAR method. Just answer honestly and be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to adjust to change?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview seemed very dull, The recruiter didn't seem really interested in what I was saying. Process lasted about 45 minutes exactly. Nothing about my phone interview was personable, No laughing or shared moments. I couldn't even hear the smile in my recruiters voice. At the end of the interview she wished me luck and said I would be hearing something back within 2 days, 9/22, if they want to move forward with the F2F. Fingers are crossed, I did the research and practiced behavioral questions. Will update with results.
    9/11/16- Employee Refferal
    9/12/16- Online Application
    9/13/16- Completed Online Assesment
    9/15/16- Phone interview Request
    9/20/16- Phone interview Complete

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a complaint, What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tampa, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

8-1-16 Applied online
    8-12-16 Online Assessment
    8-14-16 Received noticed I passed and look for email for phone interview.
    8-16-16 Schedule phone interview
    8-22-16 Phone interview completed successfully
    8-29-16 Submitted for background check
    8-31-16 schedule face to face interview
    9-20-16 Completed face to face interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Brandon, FL).

Interview

Completed application on line and was set up with a phone interview. After the phone interview I was asked to come in and meet someone for an interview. **USE THE STAR (Situation/Task, Action, Response) METHOD** Met with 2 different people while onsite and sat with a rep for a few minutes.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

Very long. You have to have lots of patience and understand they're very thorough with everything. I'm a re-hire and it took longer, actually for them to come up with an offer. Since I worked there before I did not need to do an assessment, I applied 7/5 and got a email to set a phone interview on 7/10. I set my interview for 7/26. My recruiter was suppperrr nice. I loved her! She explained the process and reassured me if I performed the same way in person, I had the job. In-person set for 8/4, didn't get the offer until 8/17. Technically 8 business days but I was so anxious, I sent an email on last Friday the 12th lol. Anyway, speaking from experience, its a great company. The grass is not greener. If you get in, stay in. Good luck !

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to and they didnt budge. Not a bad offer overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The process has taken around a month but it hasn't felt drawn out. The job listing said the position starts at the end of August so I didn't really expect the hiring process to happen immediately.
    I applied June 22nd and got an email saying a passed the initial review and needed to do an online test. I got that email the following day. After taking the online test I got an email 1-2 days later saying I passed with a link to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview on July 6th and heard back either that following Monday or Tuesday (July 11 or 12) to schedule an in person interview.

The in person interview was a lot like the phone interview- behavioral based questions that need to be answered in the STAR format. However it is MUCH more extensive in person. You sit through 2 interviews with managers and in between those you have a sit in with an employee and listen in on the calls and what not. My interview took 3 hours.

It's just really important to be yourself and show you have good customer service skills. I came prepared with mock questions and answers, paper to take notes on, and a few copies of my resume. I also did a good amount of research on the company and its growth, and I asked the interviewers lots of questions including if there was anything I needed to clarify on my resume or in my answers. They were all incredibly happy and friendly, and have both been with the company over 20 year which is promising as a prospective employee.

They're currently reviewing my personal interview and I should find out by Tuesday if I'm receiving an offer. (Fingers crossed). I marked no offer on this review, but I haven't heard back yet!

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you had to adjust your methods based on the feedback of a manager.   Answer Question
    • What makes you want to work at Progressive?   1 Answer