Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

3.4

130 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tampa, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

Very in-depth interview process. Series of online assessments & three phone interviews prior to an in-person interview. Company really wants you to showcase your ability to problem solve, take ownership, & provide superb customer service.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH) in June 2017.

Interview

The application was a standard application with an assessment test. After you pass the assessment you have a phone interview. Phone interview last awhile. Make sure you do research on the company. Then I had my onsite interview which lasted about a hour. Study the interview tips they have on the website to know how to answer their questions. Also the managers love complex answers

Interview Questions

• What steps did you take to calm a customer down and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Rancho Cordova, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The overall experience was very thorough, but great. They leave out no detail.
    I started with applying online, completing an assessment test, then was prompted to complete a phone interview a few days later. The phone interview was simple - it lasted about 35 minutes. The recruiter was super nice and asked basic behavioral questions. She also asked quite a bit about my previous employment history and wanted detail on my roles and duties.
    After the phone interview, I scheduled an on-site interview. I was pretty nervous beforehand, but it was a GREAT experience! I began the first part of the interview with one of the managers, who genuinely seemed interested in what I was saying. Once that was overwith, I was to sit down with a current CSR employee and listen in on calls. That taught me a lot about the job and gave me a feel for what it would be like on duty. Once 30 minutes passed with the CSR, I was taken away to complete the second part of the interview. Again, I sat with a different manager and was asked similar behavioral questions.
    The interview took 2 hours, but they were 2 hours well spent! I really tried to connect with my interviewers and make conversation beyond just the interview questions. I also had a couple of questions prepared beforehand to ask them about the company when the interview was over, and they seemed to appreciate that.
    I was lucky enough to get a call back afterward with a job offer :-) The whole hiring process took about 5-6 weeks. Easy to say, the best interview/hire experience I've ever had!

Interview Questions

• What is the most complex part of your job and how you do you handle it on a daily basis   Answer Question
    • Explain a time where a customer was angry, and what did you do to fix the situation   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer and what was the result   Answer Question
    • Explain a time where you went through a drastic change at work, and how did you handle it   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you received feedback from a manager, what was the feedback and what was your response   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Contract to Perm. position with InnoSource for Progressive.
    The hiring process includes 2 phone screening and a phone interview. Also an online assessment. Once you pass, then your cleared for an in person interview at InnoSource. They really scrutinize your employment background to make sure your a good fit for the position. The rest of the interview are STAR questions. Then you get to interview with a manager at Progressive. More STAR questions. Lengthy process but Great experience. Everyone I came in contact with was professional and I was offered the position.
    THEN there's HireRight!! I'm still waiting on my background check to be completed and can't move on with the orientation process until it is. So eager to get this finalized!!!

Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH) in April 2017.

Interview

March 12 - Online Application
    March 13 - Pre-employment assessment
    March 15 - Email to schedule phone interview
    March 22 - Phone interview and request for background check
    April 6 - In-person interview
    May 18 - Accepted offer

My hiring timeline was a bit longer than I've seen for others on this site, but I also wanted to finish my semester before I started training. I think they took that into consideration when placing me in a group for training and I'm grateful for that! I was also applying for multiple positions with similar responsibilities and they may have been deciding where I was the best fit.

The application was pretty standard for any business and then I took the pre-employment assessment a few days later. I answered the questions honestly and there was no pressure. The phone interview was conducted by HireRight and the woman I spoke with was very kind and helpful. She asked me three STAR questions, took a lot of notes while I spoke, reviewed my background experience and gave me some helpful tips for the next step in the hiring process. The in-person interview was a pleasant experience. I was nervous about making a good impression and showing that I had relatable experience for the position, but overall I felt confident in my responses. He first gave me a tour of parts of the building and a brief overview of the position I was applying for as we walked to the interview room. The interview lasted about 90 minutes from the time I was greeted to the time I walked out the door. The worst part, as in any other application, was waiting for a response.

My tip to anyone applying for a position within Progressive is to look up as many STAR questions as you possibly can, make notes on what experience you've had that can relate to that scenario, and take those notes with you to the interview. The more questions you can prepare for, the better. I had a list of several I thought might be asked, and only a few of them were asked. I think he went through about seven or eight questions, which was more than I was expecting. Make sure you're prepared!

Overall, it was a great experience and I'm excited to start working for Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to overcome diversity (Language, religion, etc.).   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to cater to an upset customer. What was the result?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had too many things to do and had to prioritize.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to upsell to a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Heights, OH) in April 2017.

Interview

A very thorough phone interview with a recruiter (contracted) which lasted close to one hour. After this initial "screening" I was recommended for an in person interview. The recruiter was very helpful in preparing me for the in person interview . They use a behavioral interviewing technique called Targeted Selection and I researched this technique so I would know what to expect.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation in which you were required to work with an irate customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tampa, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and the next day I received a call from a lady who works for a recruiter that handles a large portion of Progressive's hiring. It was essentially a brief preliminary "qualifying" type interview. Was sent an assessment that consisted of your typical "strongly agree - strongly disagree" type personality test and some basic math. A face-to-face was set up for the next week in Tampa. A week after that, went to an interview with Progressive and received a call after that with the offer. Waiting for them to set up an orientation.

Both face to face interviews were in the "STAR" format. If unfamiliar I would suggest googling up some tips, they will really help you. The process took about 3 weeks. I've had to meet with multiple people and there wasn't one that wasn't exceptionally nice and friendly.

What STAR stands for:

(S) Situation. Think about and describe a situation that fits the topic of what the interviewer describes.
    (T) Task - Describe what you were working on when your Situation arose.
    (A) Action - what action did you take to deal with the situation
    (R) Result - what was the outcome?

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of "Think about a time that you had too much work to do and not enough time left in your shift to do it"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I passed the online assessment and then went onto the phone interview but then received an email tonight saying I won't be moving forward which I cried about because I really wanted this job

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2017.

Interview

Long process, over a month. Applied online, took test, had phone interview, background check, interview with supervisor.. now awaiting offer. If you apply make sure you research how to interview using the STAR method

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a customer was happy with your service   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted to complete the assessment, moved forward to phone interview, nailed the phone interview and went to f2f and background checks. Waited about two weeks to hear back with the offer because the spot I interviewed for filled but they still wanted to offer me a position. They hired me for an Online Consultant position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to compromise with a coworker or customer   Answer Question