Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tampa, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

Very in-depth interview process. Series of online assessments & three phone interviews prior to an in-person interview. Company really wants you to showcase your ability to problem solve, take ownership, & provide superb customer service.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Contract to Perm. position with InnoSource for Progressive.
    The hiring process includes 2 phone screening and a phone interview. Also an online assessment. Once you pass, then your cleared for an in person interview at InnoSource. They really scrutinize your employment background to make sure your a good fit for the position. The rest of the interview are STAR questions. Then you get to interview with a manager at Progressive. More STAR questions. Lengthy process but Great experience. Everyone I came in contact with was professional and I was offered the position.
    THEN there's HireRight!! I'm still waiting on my background check to be completed and can't move on with the orientation process until it is. So eager to get this finalized!!!

Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Highland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH) in April 2017.

Interview

March 12 - Online Application
    March 13 - Pre-employment assessment
    March 15 - Email to schedule phone interview
    March 22 - Phone interview and request for background check
    April 6 - In-person interview
    May 18 - Accepted offer

My hiring timeline was a bit longer than I've seen for others on this site, but I also wanted to finish my semester before I started training. I think they took that into consideration when placing me in a group for training and I'm grateful for that! I was also applying for multiple positions with similar responsibilities and they may have been deciding where I was the best fit.

The application was pretty standard for any business and then I took the pre-employment assessment a few days later. I answered the questions honestly and there was no pressure. The phone interview was conducted by HireRight and the woman I spoke with was very kind and helpful. She asked me three STAR questions, took a lot of notes while I spoke, reviewed my background experience and gave me some helpful tips for the next step in the hiring process. The in-person interview was a pleasant experience. I was nervous about making a good impression and showing that I had relatable experience for the position, but overall I felt confident in my responses. He first gave me a tour of parts of the building and a brief overview of the position I was applying for as we walked to the interview room. The interview lasted about 90 minutes from the time I was greeted to the time I walked out the door. The worst part, as in any other application, was waiting for a response.

My tip to anyone applying for a position within Progressive is to look up as many STAR questions as you possibly can, make notes on what experience you've had that can relate to that scenario, and take those notes with you to the interview. The more questions you can prepare for, the better. I had a list of several I thought might be asked, and only a few of them were asked. I think he went through about seven or eight questions, which was more than I was expecting. Make sure you're prepared!

Overall, it was a great experience and I'm excited to start working for Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to overcome diversity (Language, religion, etc.).   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to cater to an upset customer. What was the result?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had too many things to do and had to prioritize.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to upsell to a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Tampa, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and the next day I received a call from a lady who works for a recruiter that handles a large portion of Progressive's hiring. It was essentially a brief preliminary "qualifying" type interview. Was sent an assessment that consisted of your typical "strongly agree - strongly disagree" type personality test and some basic math. A face-to-face was set up for the next week in Tampa. A week after that, went to an interview with Progressive and received a call after that with the offer. Waiting for them to set up an orientation.

Both face to face interviews were in the "STAR" format. If unfamiliar I would suggest googling up some tips, they will really help you. The process took about 3 weeks. I've had to meet with multiple people and there wasn't one that wasn't exceptionally nice and friendly.

What STAR stands for:

(S) Situation. Think about and describe a situation that fits the topic of what the interviewer describes.
    (T) Task - Describe what you were working on when your Situation arose.
    (A) Action - what action did you take to deal with the situation
    (R) Result - what was the outcome?

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of "Think about a time that you had too much work to do and not enough time left in your shift to do it"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

I passed the online assessment and then went onto the phone interview but then received an email tonight saying I won't be moving forward which I cried about because I really wanted this job

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2017.

Interview

Long process, over a month. Applied online, took test, had phone interview, background check, interview with supervisor.. now awaiting offer. If you apply make sure you research how to interview using the STAR method

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a customer was happy with your service   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Riverview, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted to complete the assessment, moved forward to phone interview, nailed the phone interview and went to f2f and background checks. Waited about two weeks to hear back with the offer because the spot I interviewed for filled but they still wanted to offer me a position. They hired me for an Online Consultant position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to compromise with a coworker or customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Colorado Springs, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

The process of applying and accepting the position took four months. Part of it was to blame on the holidays and the fact that so many people applied for the position (apparently they receive 200 applicants on average and this time they received 2,000). I applied at the end of November, had my in-person interview on February 3rd, and received my offer February 24th. Overall, it was a good experience. The recruiters and interviewers were very friendly and helpful. I just wanted let others know though that they are very thorough and not to bank on this being a quick process (It's May and I don't start until the end of this month.) They really do want to make sure you're a right fit :)

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a negative experience and how you made it positive.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

Jan 17 Applied
    Jan 18 took assessment I had no issues with the assessment just answer truthfully.
    Jan 18 Got results that I passed
    Jan 19 Got email to schedule phone interview
    Jan 24 phone interview phone interview was not difficult asked STAR format questions. I was told that I passed at the end of the call which lasted around 1hour. I didn't even realize an hour had passed.
    Jan 24 request for background check
    Jan 24 In person interview setup
    Jan 31 Went to in person interview, I was took on a tour of the facility and explained the whole process. I interviewed with 2 managers at the same time. Asked star format questions. It was a really comfortable environment just be honest and be youurself. Pratice STAR format questions and make sure you have questions to ask them at the end.
    Feb 1 Got an email that my face to face interview went well and that I would hear from them in the next 2 weeks.
    Feb 2 Got email from hireRight to Star background check.
    Its Feb 12 and I'm still waiting to hear back fingers crossed. Hireright is a little difficult they requested I send them a 1099 for my self employment which was difficult because I didn't receive a 1099. They wouldn't accept the documents I sent them. For another job I worked at the same company but 2 different locations but they are owned by different individuals. Hireright only got dates for 1 they emailed me to say the dates differ from what they received and what I put down. I told them about this and was just told ok don't worry. Then I got an email that they couldn't contact 2 companies and they needed me to provide their information but they also sent an email saying they were in contact right before they said they couldn't contact them. They asked for W-2's which I didn't have as these jobs are 7-9 years old. They asked if I had contact information for a supervisor again it been 7-9 years. I Google the companies and supplied them with these numbers. I then got an email saying my dates for my self employment differ. I explained to them again that I worked under 2 different IBO's and my first IBO changed all her contact information and I didn't have it and I was a dependent due to school so my dad files me on his taxes. I then was told to disregard the notices and my employment history was already completed. I was told I was 85% finished they were waiting on my criminal history to come bavk. I really hope hireRight doesn't cost me this job. I learned a valuable lesson keep everything. I checked no but I am still waiting to hear back from them fingers crossed I will update when I hear bavk.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had a dissatisfied customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online
    Completed assessment
    Received email to set up phone interview
    Completed phone interview 1hr
    Asked to complete background check
    Completed face to face interview 2-3hrs total. 1hr with a manager 30min shadowing employee 1hr with another manager.

Advice - Do your homework about the company how they are growing. Think really hard about why you want to be there. If customer service isn't your passion don't apply they want people who want to be there. They said they give a lot of feedback so if you can't handle constructive criticism and aren't adult enough to set your own goals this probably isn't the Job for you. Both managers seems to really care about their employees which I think is hard to find. They ask a lot of behavioral questions so be prepared to answer in star format with specific examples. I think what also helped was being personable. Don't be a robot they want to see that you can connect with them on a personal level as well as with their customers. They are looking for people who can build customer relationships.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to persuade a customer to see things your way?   Answer Question
    • What is your goal within the company? Where do you see yourself after training?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had a difficult task and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you didn't see eye to eye with a manager and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to offer a customer a product or service that would fit their needs? How did you know to offer that product? Outcome?   Answer Question
    • Why progressive?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me the job but and waiting on some information with the background check. No talk of pay till everything comes back will update: :)