Progressive Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017
1,189 Interview Reviews

3.3

1,189 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in July 2015.

Interview

06/08/15- applied
    06/17/15- online assessment/ skills test
    06/26/15- phone interview
    06/29/15- background check initiated
    07/01/15- manager interview
    07/08/15- background check complete and job offer accepted

Progressive will be the first to tell you their recruitment process is more extensive than that of most companies. Overall I was highly impressed with the process. They really take the time to get a feel for you as an actual PERSON, which is rather unique for such a large corporation. But they want to make sure you're a good fit and have the skills necessary to succeed in the position.

As most of the other reviews have mentioned, answers to interview questions should follow the S.T.A.R. format (situation, task, action, result). The best way to prepare for these questions is NOT to have canned responses memorized because you won't know which questions will be asked. Rather, just think back on your work history and be prepared to discuss specific situations within the framework of behavioral situations- ie working in teams, responding to and resolving conflict, coping with unreasonable people, etc.

Plan for about an hour long phone interview and at least an hour if you're selected for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was a very positive experience. I met one-on-one with the managing director of the entire claims office. There were the expected STAR questions along with a general 'why Progressive' at the beginning, but as the interview moved forward, it began to feel like more of a conversation. I related quite well to the director and was given an opportunity to ask questions at the conclusion of the interview. The director was extremely thorough in answering all of my questions.

The ONLY frustrating thing about the process for me was the fact that Progressive uses HireRight for background screens (at least for certain positions). The process took SEVEN full working days. Typical turnaround time for a bg check is 2-4 days! It was a nerve racking week to say the least, but the recruiter called to touch base with me every few days and was very helpful.

Finally the clouds parted and I was ecstatic when I got the call yesterday offering me the job at the top end of the salary range they had provided earlier. I cannot wait to start a long-term career at Progressive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you should have made a decision to address a problem but you ended up not making any decision. What were the ramifications?   3 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to monitor others' performances because they were tied to your success.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a customer/ client made what you considered to be an unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Progressive Insurance Response

Jul 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition

First, we just wanted to say welcome to the team! Thank you so much for the feedback and detailed advice about interviewing. We hope it helps other candidates who are interviewing with us. -KH ... More

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Online Application: completed
    Online Assessment: within an hour of submitting app
    Phone Interview: one week from application date
    Background Screen: in progress

So far the process is smooth, but extremely detailed. You can only take the online assessment once every 6 months and it needs to be passed the first time. For the background check you need ten years of residence history without gaps, 7 years job history with either contact phone numbers for each or W-2's/old pay stubs, and lastly they let you know it's a long hiring process. (Up to 6 weeks)

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had so much work and deadlines to meet, how did you balance the workload and get the job done?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

There was an online test with behavioral and problem solving questions. After I passed both of those I had a follow-up phone interview with a recruiter followed by another phone interview with the hiring manager, then followed by an all day session of in-person interviews

Interview Questions

• Used STAR method and asked several behavioral questions (e.g., tell me about a time when the data didn't align with what the client was hoping for and how did you handle that situation)   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Park, FL

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Lake Park, FL).

Interview

The interview process was similar to any other major corporation. Lots of repetitive behavioral questions designed to throw you off. HR was very, very slow throughout the stages of the process. I had my background check completed in December, had my 3rd interview by February, received a soft offer in March and then was told my background had to be reviewed again before an official offer could be made. This was a first for me. Company offers a position to a candidate and then essentially rescinded the offer due to more unexplained delays. After a month and a half of waiting for whatever they were doing behind closed doors, they offered me the position which I declined because I already accepted another position somewhere else. Had Progressive not been so cumbersome in the hiring process I probably would have accepted the position, but I am glad I didn't because this company seems like it is in a league of it's own and their processes are absurdly redundant. It was evident there is way too much bureaucracy here. I don't have time to waste nor did I want to work in this type of needlessly complicated environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you did not satisfy a customer and what could you have done differently?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

11/14 Applied
    11/24 Completed Assessment
    11/30 Phone Interview
    12/8 Background check started
    12/9 In-person Interview
    12/13 Background check complete
    12/14 Received offer & accepted

STAR format questions for both interviews. I don't exactly remember the questions, but you should be prepared to answer questions pertaining to time management & how to prioritize, what you learned in a situation where the outcome wasn't what you expected, how to deal with upset customers, etc. Also, research the company, they may ask what you know about it. Have questions to ask the interviewer.

When answering set it up as a story; what the situation was, what happened, your actions, the outcome and what you learned.

Be yourself during the interview. I had a great experience. Everyone I came into contact with was extremely helpful and friendly. Very positive experience!

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Once your resume is reviewed if it matches you are sent an assessment to complete. Once you pass that you schedule a phone interview (their phone interviews are outsourced). The phone interview consists of some basic conversation as well as about 3 STAR format questions basically seeing if you have multitasking and time management skills. From that point if you are pushed forward you are contacted by a recruiter and a background check is initiated while you wait for your face to face interview. Stress your multitasking, organizational, time management and problem solving skills. This is a position you will need them for!

Interview Questions

• what kind of responsibilities have you recently added to your work day and how do you manage those changes?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

I had a behavioral phone interview and then scheduled a face to face. The interviewer was very cold and it was like she had a magnifying glass on me and it felt like an interrogation. I'm an Iraqi vet and served in 2003 after which I continued to go to college and then graduated with a masters. She asked me why it took me four years to get my Associates Degree after coming back from war. I was so offended. I had just fought in a war. What if I came back with a disability or I had to readjust to civilian life after coming back from a traumatic experience? It was almost grounds for discrimination. She asked me several behavioral questions and at the end she almost made me feel like a had the position to then get the rejection email one week later. In the feedback I got from recruiter she said I wasn't enthusiastic enough, which was a lie. I prepared weeks for this interview and I really wanted the job.

Interview Questions

• What difficult customers have you had?
      A time you gave a customer bad news?
      Why did you leave previous jobs?
      Answer Question

Claims Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

The interview was all behaviorial questions. I was interviewed by 3 people at once. I felt pretty confident but I never got a call back. I guess I just wasn't what they looking for.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance.

Interview

Don't apply here, one of most difficult/worse interviews I have experienced for an entry level position. They really don't care about your skills or work history as long as you can use their STAR format of answering questions (Situation/Task, Action, Result). Does't matter where you worked prior or experiences, if you get even a little bit of this format incorrect in their eyes then you can be sure they will reject you. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STAR FORMAT.....Remember, this is for an ENTRY LEVEL position in which they train you...... The online assessment test is just an hour of your time to see if you think like them which I found pointless because anyone can lie on these things. It's an easy test with obvious answers. The person I interviewed with over the phone was nice enough but you could tell she did not care about the interview itself and the conversation in general was very stale. Red flag immediately. This is just my opinion/experience of course and others will disagree.

If you really want to work for them, stick to the STAR format precisely and always relate your answers to customer service experiences that are both direct/indirect. Be as specific/detailed as possible in your answers and stick to the subject. They will be noting everything you say but only looking for certain specifics in your answers.

They will give you feedback if you ask but it does little to help as they refer you to another site and a youtube video...nice. If you wish to reapply then you gotta wait 6 months...and honestly who can wait 6 months for a job these days and for an entry level position on top of it...they should change the interview name process from Progressive to Aggressive because they just want robots apparently.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time you had to meet a deadline and what you did to meet it.
      2. Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and what you did to resolve the issue.
      3. Tell me about a time where you had to deal with significant changes at work and what you did to acclimate to the situation.
      Answer Question

Medical Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Jacksonville, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

It was a very intense process. Very thorough but lengthy process. Recruiter and interviewer we very friendly and engaging. Advice: study their website. Be knowledgeable about all aspects of the company

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond to complete a job.   Answer Question