Progressive Insurance Senior Staffing & Efficiency Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Senior Staffing & Efficiency Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH) in April 2010.

Interview

Progressive has a very well defined process they follow called "Targeted Selection". It is administered in a very consistent manner company wide, and is tailored for certain job categories. For the Data Analyst roles the process consists of:

1.) Phone screen with a corporate recruiter for about 1 hour.
2.) On-site Wonderlic test. 50 questions in 12 minutes, informal attire. It's pass / fail and you get immediate feedback.
3.) Phone screen with the hiring manager for about 1 hour.
4.) On-site interview with the hiring manager, two of his/her superiors, and two of your potential peers. 5 people in 4 one hour sessions. These interviews are a mix of:
   a.) Skills assessment through case studies. Sample questions that gauge your technical ability to logically step through a problem and come to a solution.
   b.) Behavioral / STAR questions that ask you to tell a story about a time you had a specific problem or situation and how you resolved it.

Each of my interviewers were very clear about stating what would happen during my hour with them, and stuck to what they said they would do. While the technical questions addressed your analytical or programming skills, they did so broadly, and not in a syntax specific sense. Most of the questions were geared towards ensuring an overall fit with the role and the company.

The upside to this process is that it was very objective. However, I felt the interview process allowed Progressive to do 80% of the questioning, and me only 20%. I did not feel I had time to have all my questions answered about the position offerred, and did not walk away with a completely clear understanding of what the role offerred would actually do. I feel this was somewhat due to not having experience in the insurance industry.

Overall the interview process was a very positive experience for me. The people I met with were very respectful and treated me with dignity. The Targeted Selection process that Progressive has developed is by far the most impressive interview process I have seen so far.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to get the resources / support of a person not directly in your control or functional group.   1 Answer
  • Case study: Sales increased selling price on all items by 5%. There are 10 items, all with different selling prices. Gross revenue was $500,000 before the price increase, with an average selling price of $1. After the price increase Gross revenue was $505,000, with an average selling price of $0.95. Why hasn't the price increase had the desired impact of increasing revenue and average selling price?   1 Answer

Salary was somewhat low and I did not see a long term fit for myself at the company.