Cover image for Progressive Insurance

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Progressive Insurance Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 14 of over 2.5K interviews

Recruiter17%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

Progressive Insurance

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview

- Company recruiter reached out on LinkedIn - Initial recruiter screen. The recruiter was very kind and seemed genuinely interested in helping candidates through the process. There was a lot of helpful interviewing guidance on the Progressive website. The recruiter also linked helpful resources to information about the company and culture. - Follow up call to receive more guidance and help with the interview process. I believe this call was optional. - 3 Technical/Behavioral Interviews; mix of technical questions and behavior questions digging into your experience and past successes. Could choose to do all three interviews at once or conduct them on different days. This is a nice option to have. Overall, I had an amazing experience! I highly recommend going through this process if you are in the job market. The process was quick and efficient. I got timely and tactful responses (i.e. I wasn't ghosted or rudely rejected). Everyone was cordial and professional. It is a breath of fresh air to have a positive interviewing experience. People at Progressive really seem to live the company values.

Interview Questions
  • "Tell me about a time when you..." questions. The recruiter and hiring team recommended practicing using the STAR method to answer the behavioral questions.
    Answer Question

Progressive Insurance

Application

I interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview

High level interview, followed by live coding exercise and then both technical and overall business questions . Seemed structured and followed the process but did not get a good sense for what they were looking for in detail

Interview Questions
  • How would you estimate number of glass windows in a large city

What people are saying about Progressive Insurance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Progressive Insurance

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in Aug 2021

Interview

A manager, a QA and a developer conducted the interview via Zoom. Asked question about experience with microservices, APIs, multithread vs asynchronous programming. More questions about troubleshooting APIs and authentication tokens.

Interview Questions
  • Does an asynchronous method work on a separate thread? How do you test an API? How do you authenticate a user into an API

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield Heights, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield Heights, OH) in May 2021

Interview

Tested me on jargon and rarely used application features. Zero questions about work experience or previous deployments. Zero questions about programming. No real opportunity to speak. Interviewer was rude and seemed overwhelmed. Dehumanizing experience.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Mayfield, OH) in May 2021

Interview

There were 5 interviews total. 2 HR related, 1 technical, and 2 behavioral. There were no coding assignments or white boarding events. All of them seemed relatively friendly but some of the managers seemed a bit delusional, I'm not really sure what they were looking for. I don't think those managers really knew how to properly vet for good software engineers.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Colorado Springs, CO) in Oct 2020

Interview

The interview was a total of 3 behavioral interviews. 1 behavioral with a recruiter/technical lead, and then if you get invited to the final event, it will be all morning with meetings with current engineers and 2 1 hours meetings with managers.

Interview Questions
  • "Tell me about a time you had to come up with a creative solution"

Progressive Insurance

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in May 2020

Interview

I applied online. They called and asked the standard programming interview and personality questions. They reviewed my work experience and had me talk about past projects that I worked on. They asked if I had difficulty in a past project and what I did to solve it.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Progressive Insurance

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance in Feb 2020

Interview

Had an initial interview with a recruiter, and then had a technical interview with the team of developers, mostly focused on JavaScript. The interview began with a conversation about past experience, before getting to the technical portion. It lasted for about an hour.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Progressive Insurance (Cleveland, OH) in Oct 2019

Interview

Met a recruiter at a job fair, and then had a phone interview the following week with an HR rep. Then I was flown to Cleveland, attended a dinner to get to know employees there, a tour, and two interviews with separate people within the department. Answer all your interview questions in STAR format

Interview Questions
  • Share a time when you struggled to accomplish a task and how you overcame it.
1 person found this interview helpful

Progressive Insurance

Application

I interviewed at Progressive Insurance

Interview

They scheduled a phone interview about a month after submitting my application. It was supposed to last 30 - 45 minutes. All behavioral questions. Lots of behavioral questions. Every one you could imagine. I found it surprisingly difficult as I was very nervous and this is the job I wanted. Interview actually only lasted 22 minutes but I left feeling decent. I was told I’d hear back by the end of the week if I was moving on and that in person interviews are in a couple of weeks.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Interviews

Popular Careers with Progressive Insurance Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Progressive Insurance? Share Your Experiences

Progressive Insurance logo

Progressive Insurance Careers

Cover image for Progressive Insurance

Reality check: Most people don’t grow up dreaming about a job in insurance. We certainly didn’t, but then we got here and realized...More

• Our work culture
  • Data and Analytics
  • Technology
  • Claims

Company Updates

Logo

14 days ago

Company News
At Progressive, we proudly support current and former military members and their families. That’s why it’s an honor to be named both a Military Friendly® Employer and Military Spouse Friendly® Employer for 2023! https://www.militaryfriendly.com/is-progressive-insurance-military-friendly/
Shared image - Military Friendly
Military Friendly
www.militaryfriendly.com

Progressive Insurance Photos

+ Add Photo
Progressive Insurance photo of: A little selfie as employees walk in the black music month parade
Progressive Insurance photo of: Our Cleveland office is home to a foosball table to help unwind during a busy day.
Progressive Insurance photo of: Our large locations offer a variety of places to collaborate with coworkers.
Progressive Insurance photo of: Progressive employees take part in a water fitness class
Progressive Insurance photo of: This is one of our favorite pieces in our corporate art collection!
Progressive Insurance photo of: We love being able to grab a quick coffee from one of our cafes.

Expert Career Advice