Proteus Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Proteus Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2017

3.3

Developer Interview

Interview

it was ok.. the traditional stuff you ask in an interview was asked. im kind of tired of writing in this section just to review this company. i need more words to write and am getting annoyed in this process.overall they dont handle rejection well so that sums that up

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Proteus Technologies (Annapolis Junction, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

Proteus began with an introduction/tour of the workplace and its associated perks. I was then led to an employee relaxation area that doubled for small meetings and interviews. I was interviewed by 3 personnel; one technical, one technical manager, and one managerial only.

The first half of the interview was done by the technical person only, who asked very basic questions to gauge my knowledge. Apparently he thought I was applying for a junior position, though, so the first few questions were somewhat silly. Once he realized, he switched gears to more serious questions, however the serious questions were skills/thinking ones that are simply slight modifications of common ones you can find on the internet.

The second half of the interview was conducted by the technical manager (the technical individual departed), who scrutinized the resume and asked questions related to how I would fit within the company, and specifically how my skills could or could not best fit the projects they had. He also asked about salary expectations, went over a few other details, and then left the last few minutes for me to ask questions (I had about a dozen, as I always make sure to). The manager-only individual never asked any questions.

Interview Questions

• Using Object-Oriented techniques (and pseudo-language, not strict syntax) describe how you would plan and develop a program for the game Monopoly.   Answer Question
    • Using Object-Oriented techniques, describe how you would build a method to check if a string was a palindrome.   Answer Question
    • (One of the silly ones) What is the difference between an inner join and an outer join?   Answer Question
    • (Slightly less silly one) How would you describe the difference between Object-Oriented programming and other forms of programming?   Answer Question

The offer presented was below what I could accept, in part because it represented a notable pay cut. Attempts at salary negotiation proved unfruitful, as they did not adjust their offer at all. Eventually I received a better competing offer.

Senior S/W Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Proteus Technologies (Annapolis Junction, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Rigorous interview process; programming problem; white board problem solving; fun interview, but not for the average engineer. they had their act together. they came in prepared to provide me a programming to solve, and then put me to the white board

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Proteus Technologies (Annapolis Junction, MD) in October 2011.

Interview

I really had to prove my skills. They do not just hire a heartbeat and clearance - interviewers had a problem for me to solve on the white board. You can tell they really pride themselves on top shelf engineers.

Senior Member Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Proteus Technologies (Annapolis Junction, MD) in May 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by PROTEUS' recruiter, and we talked briefly about the company's capabilities, and the type of person they were seeking. It was obvious to me immediately, that they were different from their "competitors". They were not a heartbeat and clearance type of engineering organization, but rather liked to screen out the 'retards' in the industry purporting to be a Software Engineer. The recruiter set up a phone screen for me with one of their engineers on a specified date/time.

On the specified date/time, the PROTEUS engineer called me, right on time, and politely introduced himself to me. We shot the BS for a bit, and then got down to business. We drilled into my background from my resume, highlighting areas which I claimed to have done on my resume, and we had a technical conversation. The phone screen was conversational and polite, not elitist and arrogant however. Technical people LOVE talking to other technical people, which I felt make the discussions go really well. We discussed technologies which were relevant to their programs, and industry and I provided detailed examples of how I've previously used these technologies in my past life... After approximately 30 minutes of the phone screen we wrapped up, and I was politely asked to come to the PROTEUS office to have an 'in person' interview. I accepted, and we set up a date/time right then and there!!!! That was awesome...

On the days leading up to my in-person interview, the Lead Recruiter reached out to me, and verified the date/time, and on that date, I met him at the PROTEUS office at 133 NBP. At that time, I was escorted to their Gehrig Conference room, and given an Agenda of the interview. The interview team comprised of 3 SWEs and one hiring manager came into the conference room, each introduced themselves, and gave me a thumb-nail sketch of their background, and we started with reviewing my resume together.

The discussions were technical and probing. My knowledge of particular topics were incrementally tested by them to determine how deep my knowledge was on a particular topic... I felt like they cared about my 'technical where-with-all', vs. just being a billable person to them.

The interview ended with a member of their Senior Leadership Team coming into the interview , introducing himself, and giving me the distinct impression that they care who is allowed into their company. This stood in STARK contrast to the other 'heart-beat and clearance' companies I interviewed with... I felt like I had found a home... if they would take me...

Interview Questions

• Interview questions ranged from general problem solving questions, e.g., "how many gas stations are there in the United States" - a simple stoichiometry type of question, which illustrated my problem solving thought process. I was later told that had I answered, "google";, that would have blown the interview... They sought out problem solving skills, not googling skills... Other areas of interest where the technologies which they sought...Do I prefer front-end development, Middle tier, or backend development, What technologies have I used to do my UI/UX work? What key features of technology XYZ are used and why? What classes of design patterns have I used? Algorithm strategy patterns? computational patterns? We then drilled down into several, namely the Adapter Pattern and the Façade pattern. The engineers I spoke with had their act together, and were very intelligent... I knew I could learn from these guys.

Finally, the guys asked me "what do you do in your spare time?"; They wanted to know a little bit about me, and my life... I enjoyed this as well...
      1 Answer

Negotiation

Enjoy the experience. Negotiate for top dollar, but understand that the company can only 'do so well', and that the intangibles of working with top engineers far outweighs the very top dollar you may be able obtain elsewhere. These guys care and someday, you may also need their help.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Proteus Technologies in May 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who arranged everything at each stage. A brief phone screening takes place followed by a "programming challenge" (write a program to provided specs), then finally a phone interview with 3 or 4 people. The interview consists of resume-based questions, general knowledge questions, and some "brain-teaser" type questions (write a program in your head, solve this odd problem, etc).

Interview Questions

• Imagine there's a whiteboard (over the phone) and write code for a given requirement.   1 Answer
    • Do you have a math background? A science background? Etc   1 Answer