Protiviti Technology consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Protiviti Technology consulting Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2017

2.8

Technology Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Protiviti.

Interview

Process was pretty quick. Handed resume to a recruiter and was called back for a campus interview. The interview included behavioral questions and a case study. Make sure to meet your interviewers the night before to get a feel for how the interview might go.

Technology Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Protiviti (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Two phone screening and then onsite. The phone screenings were pretty basic questions. The office visit was composed of two interviews and a group project. One interview was behavioral, one was a case. The group project was something basic, just "tell us how you would sell Protiviti to a potential client." Again, typical behavioral questions. The case interview was two parts. The first part was a flowchart sent out the night before that was supposed to be analyzed. More information was then available once the case interview started.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Protiviti (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

A case study and HR portion on campus and then a day long HR session at the office. The office visit included 2 interviews which were relaxed. Definitely take time to prepare for the case study before hand. Many questions were specific and asked about it. Other than the case study to see if they like the way you think, they are looking for a personality fit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Protiviti (Athens, GA) in September 2015.

Interview

There are two phases to the interview process. The first involves a 30 minute case study and a 30 minute behavioral section. During the case study portion, I was given a business process model along with an overview of the scenario and was told to talk about the issues I noticed and the potential solutions. If you are invited to a second interview (second phase), you will have the interview at the location of your preference. The second phase is a two-day interview.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you are most proud of? (this could be an activity, project, etc.)   Answer Question

Technology Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Protiviti in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward and was lax compared to other companies I've interviewed with. I had talked to a recruiter at my university's career fair and was interested in the position so I applied through my school's recruiting site and got an interview offer the day after. They asked me to send a formal application on their website to the office location I'd like to work at and wanted my official transcript mailed. We also received a diagram of a process the day before the interview in preparation for the case study. There were two interviewers and you do 1:1 with each of them (30min behavioral / 30min case interview and you switch interviewers). I did the case interview first and it was about a dysfunctional situation in a business. You get 5min to read the case and take notes (it was a 1-page case). Then, the interviewer asks you some basic questions like the causes, results of client continuing dysfunctional practices, recommendations, what kind of services can Protiviti offer to this client, etc. If you know anything about business, then these things should be very obvious. The interviewer had remembered me from the career fair (even though I hadn't talked to him and didn't think I said anything to make an impression so I was quite surprised). We ended early and had a really casual conversation that wasn't about the job at all. I guess they're really looking for a personable person since this is a client-facing position because, if you made it through to interviews then they're assured that you're smart, but are you likable is the question. For the behavioral, I prepared beforehand by looking through all of the Glassdoor interview questions and there were no surprises. They mostly ask about your teamwork experience (!), strengths, weaknesses, etc. After asking any pertinent job-related questions, I also ended up talking to this interviewer about stuff not related to the job at all (football, actually). A week later they told me that I had made it to the second round, which would be in the office location that I wanted to work at (I'm pretty sure you get your first pick since they tell you before you apply which office locations aren't accepting new people). Since it wasn't the same location that I had interviewed at in the first round, they flew me over and put me in a hotel for free. The second round was a two-day process. The first day, there was a social dinner where you meet a combination of managers and current consultants. It was optional but since they're mostly looking for a culture fit and looking to get to know you as well as giving you the opportunity to get to know the people who will interview you the next day, you get an advantage if you go. It was pretty casual though. The next day, there was a presentation by a top executive on the company culture and values; two 1:1 30min behavioral interviewers with two managers (the company is split between process consultants and technology consultants and one of these managers will be your manager); a group case interview where they give you a dysfunctional business situation and you go through possible causes, recommendations, and then create a really informal presentation; a QA panel with some recently-hired consultants; and then they end it by taking you out to lunch.

Interview Questions

• Round 1: Describe a situation where you've had to deal with a difficult team member, what kind of role do you usually take when you're in a group, describe your most difficult project, describe the project you feel is the most innovative/interesting, what is your proudest accomplishment, describe the most difficult thing you have had to do, describe how you deal with group members who aren't doing their share, what is a weakness of yours, why consulting/Protiviti. Case: what do you think are the biggest problems in this situation? How could they have been prevented? What recommendations do you have to offer this client? If you had to pick just one recommendation to implement, what would it be? What services can Protiviti provide for this client? How did you prepare for this interview? What could happen if the client does not follow your recommendations? Round 2: What is the difference between HTML/CSS? How can you tell that a webpage is using CSS? What is a join in SQL? What is the Internet? Describe the Internet. What made you choose your university? What do you do in your free time? Do you like traveling? Why consulting/Protiviti (again)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Protiviti (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The first round was a phone interview when the recruiter called me. After that I was invited to come to their office in Los Angeles for an in person interview. They offered a breakfast which included some snacks and beverages. There were 6 people total that were there with me. For the first round, they asked me behavioral questions and questions about my past work and school experiences. They just went through my resume. The next round was a case study which i believe I did not do too well on. It was a business simulation case study. They then brought us out to lunch to a nearby restaurant. Finally they ended the interview process with a group presentation.

Technology Risk Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Protiviti.

Interview

There were two parts- one about past experiences/behavior and the other a case study. The interviewers were very nice and likable. And each part takes about 15 mins, so 30 mins in total. I was told that I would her from them in about a week or week and a half about whether or not I would get a second interview. I believe the 2nd interview would be in the office location that you applied to.

Interview Questions

• There were a bunch of questions that were "explain a time when you...."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Protiviti (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Reached out by a recruiter after applying online. Met at school for on campus interview first. Consisted of two interviews, one behavioral and the other a case study. Case study was very easy and straight forward as well. Second Interview was in office, with three more interviews, a sit down meeting to speak with manager, and then lunch. Giving an offer the following Monday. Took about 2 weeks to complete.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a situation where your group wasn't working efficiently.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Interview process was great compared to other firms I interviewed with. Had first round interviews through University career services.

Two 30 minute interviews: 1 behavioral and 1 case
    - They had a nice greeting team that made you feel very relaxed.

- Behavioral: relatively straight forward. Asked questions you would expect tailored to problem solving, team work, and leadership.
    - The interviewer was very friendly and you could really be yourself while answering questions.
    - I was very relaxed and felt like I was just having a conversation with the interviewer.

- Case Interview: Not very difficult if you can think critically and quickly. It's all about how well you solve problems and realize problems and can explain the cause and effects of solutions/issues
    - The interview was stiff when I first began the interview. I was given the case, told I had 5 minutes to read the case, and asked when I was ready. It's important that you look at everything your given before diving into the case to get an overall picture of how the case will look. Taking notes will make your life much easier and just do an info dump as you go along. I finished reading the case and writing notes within a couple minutes. I started to analyze the problems and developed solutions. I told the interviewer I was good to go before the 5 minutes was up.
    - The interviewer starting asking questions such as: what problems did I notice etc... He asked for solutions, and potential risks with not implementing solutions and leaving things how they were. In general, if you have some business sense, you will realize many of the inherent business risks associated with technology flaws. Think "bigger picture".
    - As I started answering questions, the interviewer lightened up and became friendlier. Maybe because I was saying some good stuff?
    - I was able to completely finish the case interview within 15-20 minutes so we had plenty of time for questions and general talk. The interviewer opened up a lot at this point and I asked a few questions and he seemed to really enjoy telling me the answer.

I had a really good impression of the firm and the position after the interviews and the interviews actually made me want this position more than the other positions I applied to.

I was invited to second round interviews and those went well.
    - These were used to get to know you better and to see if you would be a good fit with the firm. Really be yourself and if you really want the position, they will see that. Just a couple behavioral interviews, nothing too stressful or hard. Make sure to get all of your questions answered during these interviews because this is pretty much your best bet to figure out if you will like the job or not.

I was so impressed with the second round interviews that it bumped this job and firm to the top of my list.

It goes to show, other firms could really learn something from them about the interview process. Sure many firms have the same format/idea but it's all in the execution. Maybe it has to do something with their parent company being Robert Half International.

Hope this was thorough enough for those who are looking now and in the future and want to prepare.

Interview Questions

• two different manager assign tasks to you with expected completion dates. How do you handle this situation? (not too hard but hardest I was asked)   Answer Question

Technology Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Protiviti.

Interview

I got started with the process at the career fair at my university. I spoke with the recruiter and turned in my resume. I then heard back within a week about an interview on campus with a meet and greet reception the night before. The first interview included a 30 min behavioral interview and a 30 min case study interview. Nothing too bad. A week later I heard back about a second set of interviews which included a dinner the night before and an office visit. This included 2 30 min behavioral based interviews. Overall, I had a positive experience with all of the employees at Protiviti and everything was very well organized.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone difficult and how did you handle it?   Answer Question