Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2017

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia

Criminal Law Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (Washington, DC).

Interview

This was, unquestionably, the hardest interview I have ever had. There is moral probing about your dedication to public defense; if you would not defend the worst of society, this job is not for you.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince someone to let you into an apartment building, or give a statement about a crime to you?   Answer Question

CLIP Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia.

Interview

Would have been a tough interview if I hadn't looked up reviews on glassdoor beforehand. They asked a bunch of practical and moral questions of things you'd have to deal with if you were an intern. The interview lasted about an hour, and it was with the intern coordinator. Did not hear back until several weeks after the interview that I was accepted into the program.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel defending someone who abused a child?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

It was only one skype interview with an investigator at PDS for around 45 minutes to an hour, mostly basic questions about the resume and then some scenarios. They asked about what I would do in certain situations that would definitely come up throughout the internship, such as given a case, where should you start the investigation, or what would you do if the witnesses do not want to cooperate.

Criminal LawProgram Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

The overall process took about three weeks. First, you submit an online application focused around an essay explaining a defense theory based upon a hypothetical crime scene. Once past this step, you will be contacted for a webchat interview with the Intern Advisor for the office. The interview is about 30 minutes long.

Interview Questions

• Mostly asking why you want to work in the office, what your interest in criminal law is, and explaining your hypothetical crime scene essay. The advisor then creates a series of hypotheticals about investigation situations that you may run into as an intern. There is no wrong answer, they simply wan to see you are rational and can handle a stressful situation in the DC community.   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online through their website which included standard application materials (Resume, Cover Letter) as well as an essay response to a hypothetical client case. Received an email a couple weeks later inviting me to an interview. I scheduled an interview in person at the DC office. Interview was a mix of typical behavioral questions followed by "what would you do?" hypotheticals about investigations. My interviewer was nice but gave almost no feedback to my answers and instead maintained a straight face and typed notes in her computer. I found out later that this is standard practice, almost 100% of the people I was hired with walked out of the interview assuming they weren't getting the job because of their interviewer's attitude.

The hypothetical questions are anything but standard. Going in, you should definitely have a general idea about the legal process and the role of public defenders in DC. Know the basics of attorney client privilege as interns are also bound by it and some questions are related to it.

About two weeks after the interview I received an email with my acceptance.

Interview Questions

• You have a client who is accused of raping a 10 year old boy. While you are interviewing him in the jail he admits to you he raped the boy and doesn't feel bad about it. What do you do?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia.

Interview

2 hour interview after application submission, including cover letter and resume, etc.. It was thoughtful and thorough; they asked relevant questions to the work I'd be doing. I appreciated the work they put into the interview process.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview included a series of hypothetical situations, which could occur during the internship. All included personal decision-making (what you were comfortable doing), practical problem-solving, and your ability to navigate the unexpected. This included about 5 different situations that required assessment of the situation and choosing a path to get to the best solution. The interviewer adjusts follow-up questions to what you say, so it's sort of like a "Choose Your Own Destiny" type of situation. There didn't seem to be any particular correct answer, rather you needed to be able to ask questions and make quick decisions.

Interview Questions

• You have to interview a witness to a crime. The individual, an elderly woman, doesn't want to assist you since you'll "let him get off with murder". What do you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted the fact pattern essay assignment and was contacted within 11 days about an interview. It could be completed over Skype or in person. The interview itself was a one-on-one question/answer format, with the easiest question being 'tell me about yourself' and the most difficult being hypothetical questions about what you would do in a given ethical situation. I think having some ease of personal presence helps, since much of what the job entails is interviewing strangers and keeping a cool head. The interviewer was cordial but gave me no indicators of how I had done.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if one of your clients told you that he had abused children?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

You fill out an application, which consists of a cover letter and a hypothetical case for which you are required to describe how you would investigate it. The hypothetical case is a good indicator as to whether the internship is right for you. If you enjoy writing up the investigation, then you'll enjoy doing that in real life. If you're not prepared to commit to writing it out completely, or you find it arduous, then it's not for you.

If you make it past that round, there's an hour-long Skype interview with a supervisor staff investigator.

Interview Questions

• They give you a series of hypothetical case examples and situations and ask how you'd respond   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Public Defender Service For The District Of Columbia (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online with the inclusion of transcripts, resume and a prompt they give you. Received email about in-person interview. In-person interview was what I expected regarding walking interviewer through experience, etc. Very nice and comfortable process. One on one and lasted about an hour total and was told I would hear something in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What do we (as an agency do) and what is a public defender?   Answer Question