Public Storage District Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Public Storage District Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 21, 2017

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

Wouldn't know. I have applied for this position a couple of times over the last 5 years. Each time, I am apparently excluded from further consideration by a machine. I always get an email about 4-6 hours after submitting my resume for the position. Doesn't matter if it is day or night. Despite having vast business experience in numerous management positions over twenty years, I still don't have enough to even get a phone interview. Guess I am not the only one though since I have seen the ad for this position run non-stop for nearly 10 years. Literally. Non-stop. Anyway, I suggest you don't waste any time on them,

Other Interview Reviews for Public Storage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Public Storage (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Very intense process. Had a phone interview that lasted a little over an hour. Then called same evening for a in person interview in Glendale, Ca. that lasted 3.5 hours.

To only be told 2 days later "we're not passing on you, stay in touch and get a retail job and touch back in 12-18months" We need you to have more skills with developing team members when I clearly expressed my strength was in empowering/coaching people. AND THEY REACHED OUT TO ME?!? I never applied to this job! Craziness...

District Manager Interview

Interview

Incredibly unorganized. I applied, received an email stating they would not proceed with me as a candidate. Then, I received a phone call a few days later from a regional manager excited that I applied and wanted an interview. He did not know I received the email and when I told him I was excited about the opportunity, but confused by the email...he hung up on me? I'm glad I did not follow through with this company because they are obviously amateur and unprofessional.

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Lengthy process. Focus on strengths and weaknesses with all your past positions. Repetitive. Walking through highlight and lowlight all the way back to high school days is too much. Most folks don't even remember back that far. Way too much focus on weaknesses instead of job skills.

Interview Questions

• Name two challenges, weaknesses you had in a previous role and explain.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate anything. They set salary, location, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Public Storage (Huntington Beach, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

First they called me after reviewing my posted resume on Indeed site. I returned call by never heard back. A few weeks later I applied for DM position on their website, got a call from HR same day! Phone interview 2 days later. It went well, very professional. Lasted about 30 minutes. Received rejection email next day

Interview Questions

• What one thing would you do differently in your last job?
      Name two metric accomplishments you are proud of, from last position.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

I was initially contacted/recruited by Public Storage through Indeed. The Regional Manager called for a phone screening. Initially, he left a message on a Saturday saying he would be calling to conduct a phone screening on a Wednesday. He then called on a Thursday and scheduled a screening for later that afternoon.

This was a pointless screening. I understand inquiring about a candidates weaknesses, but you would think they would also have interest in learning your accomplishments. It was over the top negative and uncomfortable.

The only thing I was asked to go into detail on was my weaknesses. From the initial greeting, the interviewer was cold, emotionless- I understand following a script, but generally, if you have a sales background, you understand how to speak with people in a more natural, comfortable manner while still adhering to the lines.

It was just terrible, and I knew from the greeting alone, that I would not be considered for the role even with my experience. Could be a gender thing.

Interview Questions

• Asked which companies I worked at prior to the 10 years listed on my resume...   1 Answer
    • Asked what my top leadership strengths are   1 Answer
    • Asked me to name my weaknesses   1 Answer
    • Why I left my company.   1 Answer
    • Why did I apply for Public Storage   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Public Storage in August 2016.

Interview

I was called by a Regional manager after applying on line and was told I was being sent an email with a link for a one way video interview. I have done two way video interviews but never a one way interview. I read a posting about how absurd this process was but I have an entirely different opinion. You can watch the video tutorial and actually do several practice sessions before you begin. You will be asked a question by a person that appears on the screen and then the question is listed on the screen. You have a time frame to answer the question and once it has been recorded you have 2-3 re-takes if you did not like it. To me it is a much easier and better process than a two-way video interview. It will probably be the interview process of the future and to me again much more comfortable than the two-way interview. 2 days after I did the interview I got the thanks but no thanks email but I still liked the process.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very basic and very simple with this process. You have 10 questions about how you hire, do you get involved with hourly hiring. etc. You are also asked how you terminated someone as well as strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Arlington, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Extensive phone screen. If you can actually get passed it they have a behavior analysis which they say is just to get to know you. They focus alot on this compared to what is described to you. They grill you all the way back to highschool and each job youve had. Feels a bit to much like an interrigation. For this type of job its a bit much. In person interview felt stuffy and came accross as we are the almighty and you should feel lucky to have an interview. Pay structure is very nice and they preach job advancement. But i can see the atmosphere being very stuffy based on my observation while waiting for my interview to start.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 strengths and weaknesses for each level of schooling and each job you have worked for? What would you do differently? What are your job responsibilities for each position. Rank each rep you have ever managed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Baltimore, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Terrible communication. Gave the impression that they wanted to hire me and never heard from them again. You must be able to relocate for this position even though they advertise for a particular city.

Interview Questions

• Can you relocate to Texas?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was called reluctantly 3 weeks later, by a recruiter. He called to say that the company was very interested in my multi unit manager skills and would like to set up a phone interview for the following week, in which at the time I accepted. The day came and the interview commenced. Before the interview started, which was by speaker phone with another person who sounded like he may have been driving, he let me know how the interview was to be conducted, and began with the benefits of the position, which in my opinion should have came at the end. Once the interview ended(about 45 minutes in total) he ask me if I had anymore questions, I asked a few, in which he lightly answered, and told me of next steps. I received two emails back to back, the first was from HR and it was to let me know of the behavioral assessment being received any day, and the second email, that came the next day was to let me know that I was being dropped from the experience of being considered for the position, and was welcomed to pursue/apply for other opportunities within the company. I'm ok with rejection, its apart of life, BUT, you send the wrong message when you send correspondence(in any form) that conflict. aka ..." You are being considered for the next steps in the process.." immediately following "Thanks for your time, but YOU are not being considered for next steps, but apply again.." I called the recruiter to ask what happened, and to thank him for his time, and he declined my call(went to voicemail land). I was disappointed with the after interview process, and most of all the unprofessionalism of the recruiter. WASTE OF TIME!

Interview Questions

• Very basic questions, not situational in regards of "what would you do in this case?" or overall resolutions. Because of the nature of which I left my last company, I was very reluctant to answer this question: " If I called your old supervisor up today, how would he rate you?" I felt like that was my "Achilles heel"...   Answer Question