Public Storage District Manager Public Storage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Public Storage District Manager Public Storage Interview Questions

2.9

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Interview

I received a call from the recruiter stating they would like to set me up with an interview with their RVP for the District Manager position.
I have to say...the reviews were dead on correct here on Glassdoor. The interview was the oddest one I've ever experienced. I've been in HR and executive management for years and have recruited for 15 years and never experienced such a negative way to interview. The RVP asked general questions at first then shifted to "tell me a weakness that you have". Then he said "tell me another, and yet another". Then asked "what could you have done better at your last job, and the job before that?". The whole process consisted of focusing as much time and concern on any negative attributes one has, and looking for any weakness. Then I was told that they never promote within as their people aren't the "promotable type" so all their DM's are brought in from the outside. What a horrible company culture that is! Instead of focusing on their candidates weaknesses...they need to address theirs as a company. Obviously their weakness is they do not promote within in because they do not give their employees the training or care that is needed to educate their employees on how to become successful within their own company. After hearing that come from the RVP I knew this is not a company I wanted to work for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your weaknesses.
    Tell me how you could have done better at your last jobs.
    What would your supervisors tell you to work on to become better at your job?
    Answer Question

Not a company I would want to work for.

Other Interview Reviews for Public Storage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (El Segundo, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The worst interview process I have ever been through. I applied and within 30 minutes, had a phone call to schedule a phone interview with a Regional District Manager. Process took over 2 weeks. Phone interview was about an hour. Was required to perform a D.I.S.C. Assessment that had me print 47 pages of an assessment about me as a person. Moved to the next step which was a face to face interview with a Regional Vice President and conference called with another District manager that took over 3 hours the following week. This interview included my time in High school and previous employers and current employer and more time about my weakness' on the D.I.S.C assessment and said that how they create development plans on their managers.

After this interview, I was invited to do a 4 hour "Ride Along" with a current District Manager. Went and visited 4 different properties and discovered that this position is exactly what I am doing at my current at the time job just with one direct team that equated to the same amount of associates. After this "Ride Along", I was challenged to provide 5 professional references for a Survey that must include my current boss and previous boss at my previous employer. This but me in an awkward conversation with my current boss and I was forced to put my 2 weeks notice as a result of this reference that I was required to include.

I was invited to another in person interview with the same Regional District Manager and a different District Manager and continued to ask me multiple questions circled around A, B, C performing associates and questions about a previous employer that laid me off during the great recession. Received great feedback for a final interview that was scheduled at the Company's Corporate Office in Glendale, Ca. location. The following day, received a call at 8 am for a final interview at 3pm with a different District manager to prep for my final interview the following day at the corporate office.

By 11am, the same day, I received a call from the first Regional District Manager that they had decided to not pursue me due to "Lack of time in the management position." I have over 10 years of management experience included Sales Development and the use of performance management.

2 Weeks of multiple interviews and me being forced to have a tough discussion with my current boss why I was looking to leave the company forced me to give my 2 weeks notice and leave my job. Thank you for wasting my time Public Storage. I am currently unemployed.

The reviews on Glassdoor are spot on.

Interview Questions

• What were you like in High School?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your job in 2003? What was your 2 wins, and your 2 wishes?   Answer Question
    • Were you responsible for firing associates in your previous roles?   Answer Question

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Public Storage in August 2016.

Interview

They use Spark Hire as their platform to perform one way interviews. The application is relatively easy to use and you are given three opportunities to rerecord your responses. Below are the questions asked during the interview. There are supposed to be 10 questions but I could only remember 8. I did not receive an invite to a second interview but I was relieved because was offered a better career choice with my dream company.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals and what would you like to be doing in 5 years?

What is your greatest opportunity to become better as a leader and why?

What is your greatest strength as a leader and why?

Give us an example of an employee that you had to manage out of the company and how did you manage them out?

Give us an example of an employee that you have managed and helped them to improve their behavior or performance?

How much time per week do you spend mentoring and coaching your direct reports?

How often do you see your supervisor and how much time per week does your supervisor spend mentoring, developing, and coaching you?

Tell me about 2 business metrics either financial, customer service or employee related that you are held directly accountable for and how did you rank versus your peers with these metrics?
      Answer Question

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Public Storage in June 2016.

Interview

Received an offer e-mail, then an application link was sent to me, both same day. Next morning got a phone call to set up phone interview. Let's see how it goes!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Public Storage (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Simply a STAR method. Had a phone interview that was a joke followed by a video interview (my first and probably did poor). One of my greatest strengths is communication so in person interviews have never been an issue. It's not big brother, it's a people business. I've managed multiple stores for Fortune 500's with over 200 people so I'm left with an assumption that I just don't have the look they want or my current position as a VP may have them worried of me jumping ship which I've never done to companies who deserve my skill sets. The money is simply a lateral move (75K plus annual bonuses) and not an issue but hey at least the HR ladies are good looking blondes.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and Weaknesses? Tell me of management style.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Interview

Regional manager set a time for a phone interview and did not call at that time. Waited 10 mons after set time and no call. So how good can this work environment be? Do needless to say I get a rejection email later in the day. Disappointing.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Public Storage (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a chronological interview process , which was refreshing as it gave me time to relax as they started by asking questions about my time in school. There were a total of 3 interviews and they all went by pretty smooth and fast. They also did a day in the life of a DM where I got to meet with another District Manager and ask what they do on a daily basis, so I was able to get a feel for the actual position.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your biggest challenges in your past positions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Public Storage (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview was extremely cold.....questions were extremely basic, interviewer was fishing for negatives, almost got annoyed when there were none to report. Coldness was somewhat uncomfortable, why interview folks if you already ruled them out? Apparently if job was offered I would be working for this robot......

Interview Questions

• How would you boss rate you 1-10, name stuff you need improvements on.....tell me some negative things about you....really idiotic, it was apparent from the interviewer they are not accustomed interviewing a professional.....sounded like a great company to work for, however they need a better on-boarding process....get rid of the robot and have staff with a personality....   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Public Storage (Atlanta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

Was a 30 min brief phone interview after he called me to schedule the interview an initial phone screen.. they were prompt in calling on time.. and actually after discussing the position , discussed the training process and the length of the training,,

Interview Questions

• Who was your supervisor, how long did you work for them,,, and in talking with your former boss, on a scale of one to 10 how would they rate you and why   1 Answer
    • OF those things that were discussed, what could you say are your strengths   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Smooth and well run but a very long day of final interviews. I did well - but I'm good at interviewing and even I became exhausted saying the same thing over and over again. Questions in all interviews were very similar so it became repetitive.

Interview Questions

• Many questions on weaknesses. More than an average interview...   Answer Question