Public Storage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Public Storage Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2017

2.7

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Public Storage in August 2016.

Interview

I was called by a Regional manager after applying on line and was told I was being sent an email with a link for a one way video interview. I have done two way video interviews but never a one way interview. I read a posting about how absurd this process was but I have an entirely different opinion. You can watch the video tutorial and actually do several practice sessions before you begin. You will be asked a question by a person that appears on the screen and then the question is listed on the screen. You have a time frame to answer the question and once it has been recorded you have 2-3 re-takes if you did not like it. To me it is a much easier and better process than a two-way video interview. It will probably be the interview process of the future and to me again much more comfortable than the two-way interview. 2 days after I did the interview I got the thanks but no thanks email but I still liked the process.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very basic and very simple with this process. You have 10 questions about how you hire, do you get involved with hourly hiring. etc. You are also asked how you terminated someone as well as strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Public Storage in August 2016.

Interview

They use Spark Hire as their platform to perform one way interviews. The application is relatively easy to use and you are given three opportunities to rerecord your responses. Below are the questions asked during the interview. There are supposed to be 10 questions but I could only remember 8. I did not receive an invite to a second interview but I was relieved because was offered a better career choice with my dream company.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals and what would you like to be doing in 5 years?

What is your greatest opportunity to become better as a leader and why?

What is your greatest strength as a leader and why?

Give us an example of an employee that you had to manage out of the company and how did you manage them out?

Give us an example of an employee that you have managed and helped them to improve their behavior or performance?

How much time per week do you spend mentoring and coaching your direct reports?

How often do you see your supervisor and how much time per week does your supervisor spend mentoring, developing, and coaching you?

Tell me about 2 business metrics either financial, customer service or employee related that you are held directly accountable for and how did you rank versus your peers with these metrics?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Arlington, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Extensive phone screen. If you can actually get passed it they have a behavior analysis which they say is just to get to know you. They focus alot on this compared to what is described to you. They grill you all the way back to highschool and each job youve had. Feels a bit to much like an interrigation. For this type of job its a bit much. In person interview felt stuffy and came accross as we are the almighty and you should feel lucky to have an interview. Pay structure is very nice and they preach job advancement. But i can see the atmosphere being very stuffy based on my observation while waiting for my interview to start.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 strengths and weaknesses for each level of schooling and each job you have worked for? What would you do differently? What are your job responsibilities for each position. Rank each rep you have ever managed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Baltimore, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Terrible communication. Gave the impression that they wanted to hire me and never heard from them again. You must be able to relocate for this position even though they advertise for a particular city.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Public Storage (Fort Worth, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I believe I applied online on a Sunday or Monday I got a callback Tuesday morning , had a phone interview with the district manager . It lasted about20 mins, he asked the usual interview questions.
    Then he let me know he'd be moving forward with me so we scheduled an interview for the following day (Wednesday)
    Wednesday I had my interview it lasted for about a hour, we discussed the job, my previous work experience, the usual stuff and then he took me for a walk around the facility .
    After the walk we spoke with the property manager on duty about what her tasks look like from day to day.
    After that he let me know he liked me as a candidate and I'll be moving on to the next step which was a phone interview with his boss.
    About two hours after the interview I hot the call from his boss , he basically went over the same stuff it went well he said I'll be s good fit.
    District manager extended me the offer
    All happened within 24 hours basically .

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation , you get laid $10.00 z

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was called reluctantly 3 weeks later, by a recruiter. He called to say that the company was very interested in my multi unit manager skills and would like to set up a phone interview for the following week, in which at the time I accepted. The day came and the interview commenced. Before the interview started, which was by speaker phone with another person who sounded like he may have been driving, he let me know how the interview was to be conducted, and began with the benefits of the position, which in my opinion should have came at the end. Once the interview ended(about 45 minutes in total) he ask me if I had anymore questions, I asked a few, in which he lightly answered, and told me of next steps. I received two emails back to back, the first was from HR and it was to let me know of the behavioral assessment being received any day, and the second email, that came the next day was to let me know that I was being dropped from the experience of being considered for the position, and was welcomed to pursue/apply for other opportunities within the company. I'm ok with rejection, its apart of life, BUT, you send the wrong message when you send correspondence(in any form) that conflict. aka ..." You are being considered for the next steps in the process.." immediately following "Thanks for your time, but YOU are not being considered for next steps, but apply again.." I called the recruiter to ask what happened, and to thank him for his time, and he declined my call(went to voicemail land). I was disappointed with the after interview process, and most of all the unprofessionalism of the recruiter. WASTE OF TIME!

Interview Questions

• Very basic questions, not situational in regards of "what would you do in this case?" or overall resolutions. Because of the nature of which I left my last company, I was very reluctant to answer this question: " If I called your old supervisor up today, how would he rate you?" I felt like that was my "Achilles heel"...   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

Once I filled out the application I was told to wait for a call from the hiring manager to have a verbal interview. It took a couple of days and I passed that stage. The next process was to talk to the district manager through a formal face-to-face interview at the Oltorf location. After the following week I received my "we desired to pursue other candidates" email. Three weeks later I was told to reapply and I talked to the hiring manager but didn't get to the interview with the district manager. I ended up getting another email about not getting the job again.

A bachelor's degree in business wasn't enough to receive this entry level position do to not having retail experience (student full time for my business degree).

In other words MUST have retail experience for any positions regardless of the training each candidate must take to gain their position.

Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Long Island City, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quick and simple. I applied online and that same day I got an interview over the phone. After then got an in person interview the following day. After that they called and let me know if I got the job, then from there you do the background check and that can take a day or so to go through. Once that's clear you're able to start the next day.

Interview Questions

• The one thing that they mainly asking is what are your strength and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palatine, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Public Storage (Palatine, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I got a call from the District manager and we had a phone interview, which was then followed up by an in person interview. Then another phone interview by the senior district manager

Interview Questions

• What are five things you're a good at doing at your current job   Answer Question
    • What were five things you could improve on from your job   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Public Storage in June 2016.

Interview

Received an offer e-mail, then an application link was sent to me, both same day. Next morning got a phone call to set up phone interview. Let's see how it goes!