Publix Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

103 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Cashier/Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murrells Inlet, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Publix (Murrells Inlet, SC) in March 2017.

Interview

This was for a new Publix opening soon. I initially went to their hiring event/job fair where I filled out an application and then we were taken in groups of 4 to another room, where a manager spoke to us about working there. Three days later, I got a call asking if I could come back for a formal interview. The interview was fine - he asked about me, my interests, and my background. The interviewer was very nice and I felt at ease. He said they got a lot of applications during the hiring event and that they will make decisions this week, and will call people this weekend if they're picked.

Customer Service Staff Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Publix.

Interview

I had been looking at two Publix stores and I understand that the hiring process is a tedious and stressful process, but I felt like they could have done better. I talked to the manager at one Publix and she told me they would call the next week. I gave them a week and half understanding that it was a busy time. I called to restate my eagerness to work at Publix and she remembered my name and all and said I'll pull your app. I haven't heard from them at all.
    The second Publix I went to, I only got the interview because I talked to the assistant manager. I had my interview, which wasn't professional. I was scheduled for my interview and the head manager was supposed to interview me and I was told he was in a meeting. I waited for 10 minutes and the assistant manager told the main manager that she would start my interview, expecting him to finish it off. She wasn't prepared for the interview, her pauses between questions was more of what can I ask next versus analyzing my answers. After she talked to me, she had someone ask speak to me, who wasn't the manager.
    When everything was over and done, she said I will call you within the hour and if not, call me. I gave her two hours to call because she was busy when I arrived. When I called, I was told she was on cash register and that she would call me the next day (today) at five. It is after 7, and hadn't heard a thing. I decided not to call because I don't want to be a pest after I called yesterday.
    I understand forgetting things, but the fact that I was given times and did not receive a call and my interview was unprofessional really made me skeptical. I was really looking forward to working at Publix.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Publix (Charleston, SC) in January 2017.

Interview

Very easy. Asked me about myself and what I wanted to do at Publix. Had to take a drug test and wait about 2 weeks to hear back on that.

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Publix (Orlando, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied at in store at the computer and it took 3-5 days for a call back, they asked me about what's the difference between other supermarkets and publix and they gave me a situation if a customer needed help but you didn't have the answer what would you do?

Interview Questions

• Who is the founder of publix   1 Answer
    • What year was publix founded   1 Answer

Stocker Interview

Interview

I went to apply at the store and everything went through the hiring manager told me to wait a few days before calling I never heard back for an interview days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months but I heard they hired more people

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Publix (Lakeland, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

First Recruiter call was pleasent followed by another call from senior recruiter setting up the technical assessment which followed by panel interview over skype.
    Technical assessment included some of the worst questions I have seen for JAVA which are purely memory based and about Swing and Gotcha questions. IQ test should be fine and is pretty easy,

Skype interview was setup for next week with 2 member technical panel. I might be biased but their focus was not at all in interview. I think this has to do with some production bug they had which resulted in interview getting rescheduled. Asking about what I am working on currently was the first question followed by only other difference between "Checked and Unchecked Exception" which I did answered correctly (Giving example of Arithmetic Exception vs IOException and the generic reason behind it) asked for Senior Technical Lead role . No further question asked. No further question needed as well. Recruiter was swift in providing the result but without any feedback.

Interview Questions

• Difference between "Checked and Unchecked Exception   1 Answer

Grocery Clerk/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Publix (Jacksonville, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

Well, I came in ten minutes early since they emphasize being early and prepared. So, with my resume in hand and being "dressed for success" I went in to the Customer Service desk. The Grocery Manager was in the middle of an interview so I was told to wait ten minutes on a bench. About twenty minutes later, the service guy got me and brought me back to the desk. But the manager was busy again with training, apparently the Assistant Manager who called me in did not inform her of all the interviews. I was told to wait another ten minutes, then the Customer Service Manager interviewed me instead. The interview went easy afterwards, and the manager was very friendly. It felt like a conversation rather than an interview. He told me he might steal me as a Cashier instead of me being a Grocery Clerk. I'll be getting a call on Thursday they said, hopefully it'll be to schedule a second interview.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you showed accountability and honesty?   1 Answer

Quality Assurance Inspector (Deli) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Publix (Lakeland, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

1. The interviewers lacked every single human emotion you can imagine
    2. The manager, especially, was as stiff as a rock, I kid you not
    3. All interview questions were asked from sheets of paper (At least act as if you were thinking out loud when asking the questions instead of constantly gazing at the paper)
    4. They were so automated, not engaging at all
    5. The impression given was that they were being forced to do the interview process
    6. There is a atmosphere of "Oh, I am above you because I already have a job here and you are still looking one, ah ah ah".
    7. Normally in interviews, the first key point is making the interviewee comfortable. Trust me, they need to teach their Lakeland staff how to do interviews. They them selves lack comfort.
    8. They need to understand that Publix, while it is a sought after place for employment; should not only offer excellent service to their customers, but to prospective employees who are, themselves, customers.
    9. They need to really train them in skills of human interactions and composition.
    10. I felt very good about my interview as I was over qualified and stated my points eloquently, so, for me, it was a very BLAH experience. The miserable folks who are put in place to do interviews, need to be trained in Human Resources... (I cant stress that enough)
    11. After the interview, I was told that within 5 days their recruiter would get back to me. Its was over a month at the time and nothing. Their online portal still showed the status as "under consideration"... No thanks, please keep it, would not want to work under those folks in your deli leadership.
    12. I got a better offer from another company so I did not bother to follow up.
    13. But guys, its a wonderful company, don't let my experience deter you. My interviewers only made it seem otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer: Looks down at paper, reads question as automated as Siri would: "What in your opinion is Quality Assurance?" (or a derivative of that question)

Me: Gives my response

Interviewer: Looks down on paper and started writing verbatim just like a robot   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Margate, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Publix (Margate, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

Having a friend working and telling me his experience at Publix, I decided to give it a shot and applied. I went to the in-store kiosk and applied for an entry level job due to my age (16) . Right after, I introduced myself to the assistant manager and was about to hand in my resume to her; however, she told me to give it to the head manager who was in charge of hiring. The store manager was not available that day so the assistant manager told me to come back that Tuesday. Two days later I revisited and again she was there but she was in an important phone conference so one of the store managers decided she would take my resume from me and give it to her another time. Later that night, my friend who worked at that publix told me that the manager was out of town so here I am waiting for her to call back so I can schedule an appointment with her.

Interview Questions

• Do you have reliable transportation?   1 Answer

Warehouse Selector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dacula, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Publix (Dacula, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied August and received an email the same day to complete 2 forms. Later that day received an email to complete an assessment. 2+ months later email to set up interview. After reading up on their Facebook and employee's opinions, it sounds like males are more likely to get this job than females.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Publix?   4 Answers
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer
    • What would your previous employer say about you?   Answer Question
    • What would your supervisor say about your attendance?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a stressful situation in or outside of work?   Answer Question