Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Puget Sound Naval Shipyard Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

2.0

Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

I did not have an interview. I was hired via the pathways internship program. Nothing else happened. I was hired on via my internship. I did not have an interview. I was hired via the pathways internship program. Nothing else happened. I was hired on via my internship.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

Interview

I met them at a career fair, spoke with a recruiter, left a resume, and got called for an interview. I met with a couple of recruiters for the interview. Initially it sounded great, but then I dug around and found that mechanical engineers don't seem to add much value there. You do seem to make a lot of money though.

Interview Questions

• Typical stuff, what I like to do, behavioral questions, etc. They were skittish about anyone with a master's degree, I assume because they're even harder to keep around than usual.   Answer Question

After some digging, it seemed like something I wouldn't enjoy, and like I wouldn't feel like I was adding value to things. Initially it sounded great, being a support engineer with the nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers, but I was curious about a couple of things: 1. both main recruiters I met with, at different schools, seemed nice, but apathetic; 2. they're always hiring full-time engineers, so I wondered if they have a huge workforce, or if they have massive turnover? It seemed like the latter. I looked around on glassdoor, and when I got called back asked a few questions, and it sounded like what I found on glassdoor.com: you spend all day writing instructions for maintenance guys that already know what to do. You only seem to get more involved if there's something that maintenance personnel could figure out but need an engineer's go-ahead on because of red tape, or if they need a new part ordered.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in June 2016.

Interview

Panel Interview: 4 member; comprised of Hiring Official, HR representative, Direct Supervisor and a Subject Matter Expert. Questions were typical for the position: conflict resolution, technical, and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where there was a conflict with a co-worker and what did you do to resolve it.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

Interview

I was asked to call in at a specific time for a thirty minute interview. When we were connected I was greeted by three people in the department which I was applying for. They took turns asking questions and giving me an opportunity to respond. Many parts of the interview were conversational and pleasant.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

They had a booth at the career fair, which is where I first talked with them and received a campus interview. After the campus interview, I got a phone interview with them about a week later. I had a phone interview with 4 different individuals on the line. They each held different positions and they each went around asking questions individually, which was a pleasant experience. After this, I was told to apply online and found out 3-4 weeks later that I didn't receive the position. Little Tip: When applying online, pay incredible attention to the Grade levels. It's hard to tell but I think I put a level too high, and this made it so my application didn't make it to the managers desk. It's all automatic on the application.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bremerton, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (Bremerton, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

A recruiter came to our school to interview all senior students majoring in mechanical engineering. Casual interview, a suit was not required. The interviewer was very nice and provided positive feedback.

Interview Questions

• Common questions such as: Tell me about yourself? Why this career? Has anything big impact your life and how did you handle it? etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (Seattle, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty laid back, nothing stressful about it. The first part of the interview was mostly personality questions and questions about what you wanted to do in engineering. The second half was left to questions you might have about the job, work environment, etc... It would be beneficial to look over their website and see what it is that they do before going into the interview. I had a general idea but browsing their website allowed me to come to the interview with several good questions to ask them.

Interview Questions

• What was a difficult experience you have had in your life and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rexburg, ID

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (Rexburg, ID) in October 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very laid back. Some personality questions, asked about my goals and career aspirations. I felt like they genuinely wanted to make sure that this would be a good fit for me. They asked about my strengths and my travel preference. I liked the interview experience and that they asked more about my blue collar work rather than strictly academic experience. Very refreshing after interviewing with places that had more technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• What area of expertise interests you the most about this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview at school followed by a phone interview and then they flew me out to Seattle to see the site. They were all very nice and very helpful. Seeing how all of it worked was very interesting. The application was confusing and it took quite awhile to hear back from them.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Laramie, WY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (West Laramie, WY) in September 2014.

Interview

I approached their booth at a career fair. They accepted my resume and after checking for their GPA requirements asked me to sign up for an interview. The lady who interviewed me was very professional and friendly to deal with. The interview was rather laid back and had more of a tell-me-about-yourself feel followed by a simple question/answer segment which was more intended as personality questions than technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What are your hobbies?   1 Answer
    • She also asked what my favorite college course was and why.   1 Answer