Purdue University Assistant Professor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Purdue University Assistant Professor Interview Questions

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied by sending all the documents to the head of the search committee (CV, cover letter research and teaching statements). After a month I was contacted by the head of the committee and wet through brief phone interview. The interview took about 30 mins and the purpose was to explain the position better (although it is not common for the SHS to do phone pre-interviews). The opening was originally for tenured position, however the head liked my resume so wanted to consider to expand the position for tenure-track as well. In next three weeks I got an invitation for on-site interview. The on-site took 2+ days. Started with dinner with the head of the search committee, the next day breakfast with other staff, followed by number of 1 to 1 30-minute interviews and 50 talk. In the evening dinner with the head of the department. The last day breakfast and more interviews including tour and meeting the students and the dean. Overall very exhausting, but very nice people. Never felt being interviewed. Very nice talks with the faculty members. My impression was that they tried to see if I would fit well with other members and how would possible collaboration would go. Very friendly atmosphere. Only 3 candidates were selected for on-site interviews.
Another candidate has been selected for the position and unfortunately, they didn't tell me that so had to reach back and ask twice how is the process going.

Interview Questions

• What are your plans for grant proposal? (more detailed plan, where to propose, what types of grant etc)   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Purdue University

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN).

Interview

Interview was very standard for a faculty position. Over two days presented a research seminar, a chalk talk, and met with many people. One lunch with faculty and one lunch with grad students/postdocs and 2 dinners with faculty. Being far away from a major airport getting to Purdue is a pain, especially in winter.

Interview Questions

• Describe your teaching experience. Describe you research objectives. What will your first grant application look like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in October 2011.

Interview

Pretty standard, including job talk, but no teaching meeting. Dinners and and assorted meetings with people. Everybody was very nice and very supporting at the time. Great workplace atmosphere. No tripping question and no hostile reactions. The faculty seemed to be well informed and to have their stuff lined up properly. Visit stretched over two days, which was tiring. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.

Interview Questions

• Typical: start up package, teaching options, plans for research   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not really, the salary was set in stone.

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in October 2010.

Interview

Following is the typical steps:
    1.Phone interview first.
    2, lecture
    3, panel review. group interview
    4. go home
    5. wait their desition
    6 got offer
    7. not so much negotiation space.