Purdue University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Purdue University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.5

Administravive Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview

Each department has their own process. It usually begins with a phone interview and then a formal interview with several people followed with a follow up after the process is complete.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to voice an unpopular opinion?   1 Answer

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN).

Interview

I sent my CV and cover letter to the person in charge, without knowing if there was a position available. I had the opportunity to meet this person and talk about my previous teaching experience. It was a one-on-one conversation in which we talked about my previous experiences teaching studetns from a similar course and involvement. I also described how I have supervised other professionals and students that worked for me in the past.

Interview Questions

• Have you had experience with big classrooms (more than 100 students)   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, but a standard contract that apply to all the graduate students .

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied by sending all the documents to the head of the search committee (CV, cover letter research and teaching statements). After a month I was contacted by the head of the committee and wet through brief phone interview. The interview took about 30 mins and the purpose was to explain the position better (although it is not common for the SHS to do phone pre-interviews). The opening was originally for tenured position, however the head liked my resume so wanted to consider to expand the position for tenure-track as well. In next three weeks I got an invitation for on-site interview. The on-site took 2+ days. Started with dinner with the head of the search committee, the next day breakfast with other staff, followed by number of 1 to 1 30-minute interviews and 50 talk. In the evening dinner with the head of the department. The last day breakfast and more interviews including tour and meeting the students and the dean. Overall very exhausting, but very nice people. Never felt being interviewed. Very nice talks with the faculty members. My impression was that they tried to see if I would fit well with other members and how would possible collaboration would go. Very friendly atmosphere. Only 3 candidates were selected for on-site interviews.
    Another candidate has been selected for the position and unfortunately, they didn't tell me that so had to reach back and ask twice how is the process going.

Interview Questions

• What are your plans for grant proposal? (more detailed plan, where to propose, what types of grant etc)   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview

Very simple. Interviewer just asked about information on my resume. It was very short, very simple, and very easy to obtain a researcher position. I'm not sure if all research positions at Purdue are like that, but mine was.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview with faculty advisor, interview with potential school/college, you may or may not get a call ahead, but definitely will interview in person and sometimes it involves a few days stay.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview

Brief phone conversation over the phone and applied to the school. Asked about past experience and background. The conversation was directly with the advisor. Transcripts, Test scores and other application material needed to be submitted. Then the graduate school evaluated and provided admission. The offer later was generated by the department. Visa letters were generated by ISS office.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview

Interviewed with a professor (potential academic advisor) about academic interests. Was asked questions on detailed research experience on the resume. Talked about his research labs and equipment. Asked the professor some question that I was interested in.

Secretary IV Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. They did not drag out the process and were very prompt with communication and setting up the interviews.. I was asked to bring in design and writing samples. I had my first interview with my potential peers. I was called back the following day for a second interview with my potential supervisor. I was offered the job at my second interview.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN).

Interview

Interview was very standard for a faculty position. Over two days presented a research seminar, a chalk talk, and met with many people. One lunch with faculty and one lunch with grad students/postdocs and 2 dinners with faculty. Being far away from a major airport getting to Purdue is a pain, especially in winter.

Interview Questions

• Describe your teaching experience. Describe you research objectives. What will your first grant application look like?   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in October 2015.

Interview

2 interviews. One individual in the fall semester and one group in the spring semester. The individual was conducted with one RA and one pro staff member. It was roughly 15-20 minutes. If you qualify you make it to the group interview. This was 4 hours with a break conducted by RA's and one pro staff member

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an RA?
      What kind of community do you want to build?
      What does SJI mean to you?   1 Answer