Cover image for Pure Storage

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

Pure Storage Engineering Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 8 of over 525 interviews

Other13%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

Pure Storage

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage in Feb 2022

Interview

2 rounds of coding interviews (like leetcode problems) 4 rounds with hiring managers/directors 1 round with HRBP additional rounds for clarifications Hiring managers are obviously busy: it can take days to have a round scheduled

Interview Questions
  • How do you develop your team
    Answer Question

Pure Storage

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pure Storage

Interview

Very unprofessional except for the first technical interview. After the technical interview, the next level interview with the hiring manager was scheduled after 1 week. Without any information, the manager did not show up and I had a discussion with the technical person again. Another interview with the same manager was scheduled for the week after, but the interviewing manager was changed at the last minute. When I called HR, they mentioned that the hiring manager is now changed. This manager now asks all kinds of operational questions based on the current issues they face in their environments. He gets the answers and finally reject me the next day because now he has the answers for his problems. This is a very unprofessional company. IMHO, please stay away from interviewing in this company. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Interview Questions
  • Questions relating to their current virtualization environments and managerial level questions.

The latest conversations about Tech

Technical Account Manager

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prague

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Prague) in Sep 2018

Interview

I applied online for the job position. There was one HR phone interview followed by two technical phone screens within ten days. And then the face-to-face interview was conducted at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA). All calls were set on calendar with proper reminders.

Interview Questions
  • Phone interview with an online screen share at hackerrank.com (just to test the logic) Situational management question, role-play, etc. I enjoyed their office, interaction was quite intellectual and they respected my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in Jun 2016

Interview

Contacted by Pure Storage corporate recruiter on an engineering manager position, then had a phone screening with the hiring manager, followed by two onsites, one technical round, one behavior/culture/management round. The corporate recruiter is very energetic, cheerful, responsive, and meticulous. All appointments, being phone calls or onsites, were arranged and confirmed with follow-ups on time. Emails were replied quickly. Phone conversations and face-to-face talks with the recruiter were always pleasant, and you never felt being pressed. The hiring manager is very smart, as one can sense from how he opened and organized the talk, and from his ability and willingness to explain topics candidly with lucidity. The onsite rounds are also great. Managers and engineers who conducted the interviews were all courteous and professional, willing to give ample hints when solving technical questions. Looks like all of them are being trained how to conduct effective interviews and how to make candidates feel comfortable and not stressful. The company goes extra miles to accommodate the candidate’s time schedule and needs. The hiring manager arranged an engineer for extra phone calls to answer my questions, a sort-of-like reverse-interview, which I appreciated a lot. The company made an expedited effort to extend an offer given that I need to make a decision on another offer. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. One can feel Pure Storage is a great company and the company treats candidates with high respect.

Interview Questions
  • Some technical questions. Some people management and project management questions.
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in Nov 2015

Interview

The HR was quick in scheduling an interview round. The team wanted me to come onsite for a 2+ hour interview to talk to their team. There was no phone screen. I was told if the team liked me they will call for subsequent rounds to meet other team members. Interview was not tough and I was able to answer most of their questions. Not sure why they decided not to go forward with subsequent rounds. I was having a feeling that all interviewers liked me. If it was just an inital screening they could have better did it on a phone instead of having me come onsite.

Interview Questions
7 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Palo Alto, CA)

Interview

Someone searched on LinkedIn and found me. The process starts with an One-Hour HackerRank test that many have talked about. It was interesting. I did well. Definitely got both coding questions right. I also think I got most of the multiple choice questions correct as well. I was invited to an onsite to talk about management questions. Within a few min, I already felt that the interviewer didn't like my background. I am not surprised because I had no domain knowledge of storage. I probably am not what they are looking for. However, they should have known that early on. Why made me go through the tests and spent the time to come onsite only to pretty much reject me within a few min. I think the people there are either too arrogant or ignorant. I wasn't attracted to the company because it is a good space but am totally turned off by the interviewer.

Interview Questions
  • For the online test, it was interesting but it wasn't much challenging at all even for managers. For the "management" interview, the questions are nothing special. The interviewer, however, was quite arrogant.
9 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in Jan 2015

Interview

The interview process consisted of an online quiz on Hackerrank, followed by an two onsite interviews. Each onsite interview involved two people. Programming was required for the questions. In addition good knowledge of Internet based web architecture is required. Pure has a core team that focuses on the hardware and the software that runs on it, and then there is the online cloud team. Core team usually requires C/C++, while the cloud team requires Python or Java.

Interview Questions
  • You should have a strong understanding of computer science concepts in order to pass the interview. Pure's interview's are tougher than that of most companies.
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in Aug 2013

Interview

They reached out to me and I was really hesitant because I wasn't a storage expert nor did I think storage was that exciting. Also when I reviewed some of the people's experience here on Glassdoor, I thought I didn't want to get into a trick-question grilling. I have worked hard enough in my life and I had just finished almost a decade at Google. My experience was the exact opposite. I met the director of engineering and he was incredibly impressive. The conversation and questions focused on what I consider the most important aspects of engineering, not semantics, tricks or format. It was clear that "he gets it". Then I started to do some research on the company and wow - their technology was awesome. I had no idea that you could even do with storage what Pure has done. The challenges they have taken on were really interesting and uber challenging. For an engineer its awesome. So then I started getting interested. Smart people, cool engineering, ok... now we are getting somewhere. My second round of interviews were tough. They got to the nuts and bolts of engineering. I met the CTO and some Sr. Engineers. I got the dreaded binary tree question and what boiled down to algorithm questions. It was very clear, and I what I think people miss in these comments, is that they are looking to understand how people think and problem solve. I certainly didn't condescending attitudes or negative pushback. They are also very focused on a cultural fit and they almost want you to succeed. Which is great, that is what you want. However, if you come in looking for a Sr. Title or try to BS your way through, they will know. I decided to take the job and yeah great place to work. Like Google in the early days, super smart people, everyone focused getting stuff done, and maybe big pop in the not-so-far future. Probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. My advice to people interviewing here. Do not focus on title or what your position will be. They are looking for people who can problem solve and with little ego. You definitely don't need a background in storage, in fact the whole flash thing makes a background in storage something that may not help you. Focus your energy showing you can solve challenges. Even if you don't get it right, showing that you can dive into a problem and break it down and figure out approaches, is what they are looking for.

Interview Questions
17 people found this interview helpful
RSS Feed