Pure Storage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

1. Featured Interview

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Recruiter call, One phone call, two onsite interviews. the process took 3/4 week to start and close. overall the experience was good.I had applied online.onsite i had one stress interview as well.

Interview Questions

• On my CV, Previous projects, Why Pure, and a lot of product questions   Answer Question

Knowledge Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

This was very early on (only about 110 employees) so I was put through the paces. I met with the VP of Support, Director of Support, Senior Engineer, Technical Writer and Founder.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to cable the array   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Like others have mentioned the interview process begins with an online test. The test consisted of 10 multiple choice questions focused on computer science concepts and 2 programming challenges. The code for the programming challenge can be compiled and executed on the test website itself and one can figure out whether one's solution is correct. The entire test has to be completed within an hour. I actually found the test reasonably challenging, but not too tough or impossible to crack.

After clearing the online test the recruiter promptly invited me onsite for 3 rounds of technical interviews. Each 1 hour interview focusses on a single question and several iterations to optimize the solution as much as possible. Many other reviewers have already posted the questions, I was asked the same ones, so I will not repeat them. Although the theme of the questions is known, the specific details are unknown and are quite challenging. I managed to clear the first 3 rounds and was invited onsite again for another 2 rounds of technical interviews. After this point I was notified that they were not going to make me an offer. I was really bummed because in my assessment the interviewers seemed pleased with my answers and I don't know what I could have done better.

Overall the interview process was not very typical like other tech companies. I felt that the interviewers were so focussed on the problem that there was little opportunity for casual conversation. This meant that they didn't take any interest in knowing about me as a person, my personality, etc. Neither did I get a good chance to get a feel of how it would be to work with them.

All in all it was a mixed experience. I thought it would be an interesting place to work if they gave me an offer. But I landed up getting a better offer elsewhere and am very satisfied in the end.

Interview Questions

• A very vague question about designing a configuring registry in which apps could save and retrieve specific key/value pair information. It was very hard to judge what the interviewer expected with such an open ended question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter in a month or so. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter. Unlike other candidates mentioned, I did not have an online test and was invited to have the first technical phone screen which I passed. Then there were 2 more phone screens that went successfully, and finally, I was invited to on-site interview in the company's HQ in Mountain View, CA. The company paid for my flights and everyone I communicated with was very nice and friendly. I really enjoyed the interview process.

The first thing I was asked to do in the office was to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Then I was met by the recruiter who showed me the office. The office was very nice and I liked it a lot. All the interviews were in the same room with big white board on the wall. I had 5 technical interviews as well as lunch "interview", interview with the manager of the team I was interviewed for and a closing interview with the recruiter.

The questions were not really that hard and I think I got solutions for most of them (maybe not the most effective solutions though). Everyone seemed to be very smart, proud and happy to work for the company. At the same time they were all kind and friendly. They tried to help me with some of the most difficult questions and finally explained the solution if I did not get it myself.

The manager of the team walked me through the office showing working places, kitchen, playing room, bicycle parking room. He told me about the company's rules and policies. For me it was like to be on another planet: no dress code, no time sheeting, no time clocking, no vacation policy, free food and drinks, a lot of other perks, possibility to choose hardware and operating system to work on. People are trusted there a lot. So almost everything is allowed, but the work must be done :)

During closing interview with the recruiter I was told that I might send them the code with better solutions to the problems I was asked during the interviews as a follow up. I sent the code for 2 problems.

Although, I did not get an offer, I feel this is exactly the company I would really want to work for.

Interview Questions

• Cannot share the question due to a non-disclosure agreement   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage in October 2014.

Interview

I was invited for an onsite interview in MTV after passed an online test and phone interview. Typical Pure questions which are mentioned by other guys. After the onsite, HR told me they don't want to give me an offer.

Interview Questions

• design a data structure that can retrieve specific key/value pair at const time complexity. The interviewer for this question is an indian guy. He is quite rule and gave some useless hints that made you feel more confused.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

online assessment 2 coding problems and 10 questions in one hour
    1. remove all elements from a linkedlist that has the same value as the given value
    2.fix a bug of a code
    10 mutiple choice questions are really simple and have enough time to complete all of them

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Got an email from the recruiter to take an online assesment .It is about an hour and asked questions about data structures .I thought I wrote well but got a reject mail.

Interview Questions

• gave three requirements for a data structure like size of the data is unknown etc.choose the best data structure for those requirements .   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through college career fair. Submitted a questionnaire about bugs in a thread-safe function. Was called for a 1:1 interview. Later, qualified for a technical phone screening about compilers about code sent out over email.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about mutexes, spinlocks, systems level code. Was asked to implement a mutex with a spinlock.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Pure Storage.

Interview

It's on-campus Interview. The interviewer led the problem solving process step by step. Once you solve one sub problem, he moved on to a more complicated one. He also gave hints if you got stuck. The overall interviewing process was enjoyable. However I didn't get the final solution right. I heard that some of my peers were invited to a dinner with the team at the same day after the interview. It might be an informal interview as well.

Interview Questions

• How to implement mutex using spinlocks and flags.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage in November 2014.

Interview

to be frank, I interviewed at Pure primarily as an escape route from my prior job, where I'd thoroughly burnt out after nearly 7.5 years. I wasn't particularly excited about working at another storage company down the peninsula (and commuting from SF like I'd done prior to my last job), but a couple of my former colleagues were there and their reference got me straight to an on-site interview.

but this on-site interview actually convinced me that this was exactly the kind of place I wanted and needed to be. the questions were very challenging -- I talked to four people and they each gave me one hard but doable problem. only for the last was I able to leverage any domain-specific knowledge (e.g. my 10+ years in SAN/NAS); the rest of the problems were really excellent questions getting at fundamental problems of optimization, concurrent programming, data structures/algorithms, and troubleshooting. I did well (they hired me, and I was told afterwards that no one had ever done as well on the domain-specific problem), but I had to work for it (I didn't already "know" the answers), and it felt great doing so -- I had the kind of back-and-forth dialog that you really want to see in an interview, b/c it gets to the heart of how you would interact with folks as colleagues.

knowing the bar is set so high -- and knowing I'd cleared it -- reassures me that I'm in the right place, and will be in the right place for the foreseeable future. I left my last job because I'd become "the smartest guy in the room," when I'd joined that organization specifically because I was so happy to work with so many people that were smarter than me.

Interview Questions

• there was an excellent question on concurrent programming, critical sections, and reentrancy (the details of which I can't remember and wouldn't share if I could, honestly); I had just enough familiarity with the concepts to wing my way through it -- which actually makes for a way better interview than just nailing something b/c you've solved the exact problem before.   Answer Question

Negotiation

the offer was very fair, and I'm not a haggler.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pure Storage (Mountain View, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

1 on campus round , 1 onsite round . The on campus round was about spin locks and threads. The onsite had 3 questions with 3 interviewers . One was how to draw a circle using pixel bits, one was a buddy bit map question and one was about data structures.One of the interviewers was busy with his cellphone and was hardly paying any attention to what I was coding the entire time in white board . He was not very intervative .